17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 8:46 AM by Harm Millaard

Editing images crashes Premiere, why?

Aidan Bell Level 1

Working with jpg images in Premiere. Photoshop open at the same time. If I edit a jpg in Photoshop, which is already present in the peremiere project and on the timeline, when I save and close the image and return to Premiere, I find not that the image has changed as edited, but that Prermiere is frozen and has to be force-closed in Taskmaster and re-opened, and then the newly-edited image re-imported.
      Can anyone suggest a cause and cure, please?

• 1. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This is a stock answer, but since I can't replicate this problem, it is the only suggestion I have: Try a repair install.

• 2. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Exactly how are you getting these JPEG images from PrPro and back into PS for editing?

[Edit] Also, what are the dimensions of the JPEG?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
              Aidan Bell Level 1

Sorry for not explaining it properly. The images are not going "in" or "out" of Premiere. What I'm doing is I'm editing the original image, while Premiere is open, and expecting those changes to be immediately reflected within Premiere (as I'm sure used to be the case in past versions, and as is the case in Encore, Audition and other programmes - although Encore of course re-names the file when it "notices that it's been changed").

• 4. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                shooternz Level 6

Try using the "Edit in Photoshop" option.

• 5. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  The images are not going "in" or "out" of Premiere. What I'm doing is I'm editing the original image, while Premiere is open, and expecting those changes to be immediately reflected within Premiere (as I'm sure used to be the case in past versions, and as is the case in Encore.

Actually, you are editing in and out from PrPro. If you were doing the editing in PS, doing a Save and then Importing the file into PrPro - that would be editing the original image.

If you have used the Edit in Photoshop, what happens is the same as when you do it in Encore. A TMP file is created and is linked back to PrPro (or Encore). One is editing that TMP file, and when they hit Save, the link is followed back to PrPro. That is the way to do this.

Now, if you have Imported the JPEG into PrPro, have it open and then totally outside of it, Open that file in PS (without the linking), edit and Save with teh same name, PrPro gets very confused, as it has linked to the old file, and now that file has changed. In that case, should you not wish to use Edit in Photoshop (cannot imagine why), you'd be better off doing a Save_As and giving the file a new name, maybe incremented. In PrPro you could Repalce Asset, or just delete the old one, and Import the new one.

Also, if your JPEG's are much larger than your Project's Frame Size, you will likely have issues. Better to keep them very close to the Frame Size in your Project. Quality and performance will suffer, if not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                    Aidan Bell Level 1

Did I ever feel stuipid?! Of course I've been too engrossed in my project to realise that I was not using the "edit in PS" command, rather I was simply going to PS and opening the file myself. Doh! All should be fine now, then.
                    Many thanks for the assistance, I'm grateful.

• 7. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't worry, we all have brain cramps from time to time. That is what we're here for - to belittle everyone with a question. No, seriously, to help, where we can.

Sometimes it just takes telling someone your problem, and boom, the answer comes up. Sometimes it's just some little setting that got ticked, and you didn't notice. All of a sudden things do not work like they should. A few weeks ago, I started getting all caps in Photoshop. Changed fonts - all caps. What the ____? Started checking everything. Worked fine in AI, InDesign, and Titler in PrPro. PS was stuck on all caps. Checked the Charactrer Palette, which is always open, and there it was - the all caps icon was ticked. I'd never used it in decades of PS work, but somehow I had ticked it. OK, no Prefs trashing, or reinstall. Just a touch of OE and egg on my face. Two days later, someone on the PS forum had the same problem. I raised my hand and said, "oh, call on me." Had her up and editing in about 10 secs. after she posted.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                        Aidan Bell Level 1

I do agree. It's so easy to moan and complain when things don't go well, likewise to sit in ones own little selfish bubble when everything is going swell. But working together as a ... well ... as a '"fourm" is not only hugely helpful when someone like your good self comes to the rescue, but it's also a great feeling when you can help someone else out of a sticky situation as well. Plus, as you said, simply venting a problem can sometimes produce the solution too.

It's good to talk!

All the best,

Aidan

• 9. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                          Jim_Simon Level 8
                          if you have Imported the JPEG into PrPro, have it open and then totally outside of it, Open that file in PS (without the linking), edit and Save with teh same name, PrPro gets very confused

Never has for me.  The changes have always shown up right away in Premiere.

• 10. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                            Jim_Simon Level 8
                            I was not using the "edit in PS" command, rather I was simply going to PS and opening the file myself.

I do the same, and it has always worked properly.  Premiere shows the changes.

• 11. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I'd say that it's probably like those "gaps." Sometimes things work fine, but sometimes they do not. The same issues can, and do, arise in Encore, where Assets are overwritten. I did that all the time, and had never had an issue. Jeff and Neil Wilkes had been preaching to NOT do that, and after seeing dozens of posts, where Projects became corrupted, I began to listen to them, whether I had ever encountered the issue, or not. Same for replacing Assets already in a Project in PrPro. Some have had issues with this practice. Some have not.

Why? Beats me.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Aiden,

Now that you're up and editing, here's the $64,000 question - who gets the point?

Inquiring minds [SIC] want to know...

Hunt

• 13. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'd say that it's probably like those "gaps."

On this one I disagree.  Changing an image asset used in Premiere is a little different than changing an MPEG asset used in Encore.  This method should not crash Premiere.  If it is, something is amis.

• 14. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                                    Aidan Bell Level 1

Hunt,

Sorry, I may be showing my stuipidity again, but I actually don't understand the question!
                                    "Who gets the point?". What point? Point as in mark? Or point as in understanding something?

• 15. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

For each question there is a correct answer (10 points) and two helpful answers (5 points each) by clicking on the appropriate box below a post. By doing that you award points the the one who replied. Since you marked the question answered, Bill wanted to know who gets the points for the correct answer and who get the points for helpful answers.

• 16. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                                        Aidan Bell Level 1

Oh!! Thank you, I never knew that (I know, I should have read the terms and conditions properly when I joined the forum - sorry).
                                        But I can't say that I wholeheartedly approve either. Surely the point of the forum is to help each other out because that's a good thing to do, not to amass points? What happens to these points? Can we exchange them for free software updates?!
                                        Personally I'd like to give equal points to everyone who was kind enough to join in the discussion of the issue, never mind who actually reached the finish line first.

• 17. Re: Editing images crashes Premiere, why?
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

You decide whether you want to give points or not. Only the OP can do that.

What are points worth? What can you do with them? One, you do NOT get a rebate on the upgrade to CS5 based on points, but rumor has it that a couple of people with the most points will be invited for a free lunch in the Adobe HQ cafetaria in San Jose and will be given 5 minutes to tell the developers what they missed, messed up and what improvements are needed. Knowing Adobe, the travel and hotel accomodation expenses you will have to pay yourself.

It still is not clear whether that lunch will be only a tuna fish sandwich, or will include a fresh lobster, accompanied by a nice wine.