6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 1:20 PM by the_wine_snob

Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?

kugar13 Level 1

Hey guys/gals,

I'm touching up some images in Photoshop CS2 I want to use in Premiere CS2 and I wanted to make sure I was using the right/best settings.

I selected the following pre-set from Photoshop:

720x480 (matches my camera's settings)

72 pixels/inch (should I use a larger setting?)

RGB

8 Bit

Is his best?

Thx!

• 1. Re: Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, welcome back to the "new & improved" forum.

Next, your setting are just what I use. I'll Save_As .PSD and Import as Footage, unless I need to animate my Layers, then I use Import as Sequence.

Unless you need to pan on the image, while zoomed out, there is nothing to be gained by going any larger.

I find the resizing algorithms in PS to be superior to those in PrPro, if one did Scale to Frame, or use Effect>Motion>Scale.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I selected the following pre-set from Photoshop:

You typically only select a preset when you intend to create something from scratch.  For image correction, just open them.

• 3. Re: Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Should your original images be larger, this ARTICLE might be of use to you.

Now, if your images are still frames from PrPro, they will be sized correctly. Check that the PAR matches, as Ann Bens pointed out in another thread that sometimes, a PAR of 0.9 can be reset to 1.0. I had never encountered this, but apparently it was my workflow that kept the PAR correct, as I was using these images for Menus and Button Transitions in Encore, and always had a perfect match. Just something to look out for.

As Jim points out the Preset is for the "creation" of an image. For Titles, etc., I use the NTSC 720x480 (4:3 or 16:9) w/ Guides for this. In some cases I'll use that, and then bring in and Scale other images as Layers, within this.

It just depends on where you're starting and what you're starting with.

Good luck, and welcome back,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?
                kugar13 Level 1

Hunt,

As always, thanks for helping me out! It's much appreciate. Thanks for welcoming me back as well. I've been lurking around, reading, but haven't posted in a while. I'm working on a new project. As you know... new projects mean new problems. Thus my sudden activity.

I'm glad to be back =)

Kugar

• 5. Re: Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?
                  kugar13 Level 1

Jim,

I didn't realize you could open an image without selecting a pre-set of some sort. I'll look into it.

Thx!

• 6. Re: Best Photoshop settings for Premiere cs2?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

As Jim points out, it is not the Opening of an image, but the creation of a New Image, where the Presets come in. All of the data on an existing image will be used by PS to Open it. Just a matter of semantics, really, but I do not want you wasting time trying to find any Presets, when you already have an existing image, and only wish to Open that in PS.

Good luck, and stop by with any of those problems that you encounter on the new Project,

Hunt