2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2009 9:49 PM by Dean Utian

Director 8 to Director 11.5

kmr2009

Hello everyone,

I'm currently coordinating a study at Columbia University.  One of the computerized questionnaires that our research group gives to participants is programmed in Director 8.  We are interested in purchasing Director 11.5, but would like to know if the old Director 8 programming would transfer over and if we could still successfully run the measure.  Does anyone know how much alteration (if any) the programming would need?  Would it be necessary to start from scratch in Director 11.5?  Since an upgrade from 8 to 11.5 is not possible, I figure that the latter might be the case.

In addition, our group is submitting a grant for a new study that would utilize an altered version of the current Director measure.  We would like to be referred to a Director programmer who would be willing to adapt the original programming into a different questionnaire, ideally in Director 11.5.

I would really appreciate any offered advice or information.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Director 8 to Director 11.5
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

If you have the original unprotected source *.dir files then upgrading them for use in/with D11.5 shouldn't be complicated, depending more on xtras used. You could always download the trial version of D11.5 and see for yourself.

• 2. Re: Director 8 to Director 11.5
            Dean Utian Adobe Community Professional

Hi kmr,

As Sean said, updating from 8 to 11.5 should not be too difficult. THere are some things I'll expand upon from Sean's reply.

* If the application uses third party Xtras (Director plugins), these may not be compatible with D11.5. Quite a few commercial Xtras were not updated from D10 to D11 since the version involved a big architectural change to Director.

* There have been Lingo syntax changes between D8 and D11.5 but none that would criple the application. The coding would probably need to be reviewed.

If you'd like further advice or would like me to look at the files, i'd be happy to. I can support any programming update or supply contacts of other programmers if needed. Feel free to email me on d.utian@unsw.edu.au.

Dean

Director Lecturer /  Consultant / Director Enthusiast
            http://www.deansdirectortutorials.com/
            http://www.multimediacreative.com.au