8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 1:13 AM by [scott]

Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4

Void2258

I get no pen options in Illustrator for my Bamboo Fun. I get pen pressure, but no options to control them in Photoshop, but in Illustrator I get nothing at all. Anyone have any idea how I can get the pen working properly? I'm running W7RC, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

• 1. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
          [scott] Level 6

Void2258 wrote:

I get no pen options in Illustrator for my Bamboo Fun.

Okay...

Void2258 wrote:

....I get pen pressure,....

So you do get pressure? Wouldn't that constitute and "option" in Illustrator?

.....but no options to control them in Photoshop, but in Illustrator I get nothing at all.

So you don't have any dynamics in Photoshop or Illustrator? The second half of this sentence contradicts the first half.

Void2258 wrote:

I'm running W7RC, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Could be. I'd bet Windows 7 hasn't been tested by Wacom.

Do you have the Wacom driver installed?

From what I've read the Bamboo Fun only has the pressure feature. Dynamics such as tilt aren't available for that tablet. What other features were you expecting?

• 2. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Scott said, the Bamboo tablets are limited, so you shouldn't expect them to do wonders for what little they cost....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
              Void2258 Level 1

Ok, let me be a bit more specific. And yes, I do have the newest Wacom Drivers installed.

In Photoshop, pressing harder gives me a larger brush, however I have no dynamic controls; in fact the system won't acknowledge that there is a pen present in any of the options menus/dialogues.

In Illustrator, I don't even get different brush sizes; it acts as though I am using a mouse.

• 4. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
                [scott] Level 6

In Photoshop, pressing harder gives me a larger brush, however I have no dynamic controls; in fact the system won't acknowledge that there is a pen present in any of the options menus/dialogues.

In Illustrator, I don't even get different brush sizes; it acts as though I am using a mouse.

By default, Photoshop is set up to use pressure as a Size Dynamic. It sounds somewhat like that's what you are experiencing.

In Photoshop's Brushes Panel, is Shape Dynamics Checked?  If you click on "Shape Dynamics" is the drop down set to "Pen Pressure?"

In Illustrator, you have to specifically set a brush to use any dynamics. By default Illustrator brushes are not set to use any dynamics. Double-click a brush in the Brushes Panel in Illustrator. Are there any options available in any of the drop down menus?

• 5. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
                  Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Void2258,

I think the problems is not with Illustrator or Photoshop software, I believe is a conflict between Vista and WacomVirtual HD. To read more about this and get better answers you can go here: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=447&p=1669&hilit=illustrator+cs4#p1669

I hope this helps!

• 6. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
                    Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

However did you read the second half of Scott's post Hans?

I think if you put your post and Scott's post together you have the OP's answer.

• 7. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
                      Void2258 Level 1

OK, I am getting the options inside the brushes in Illustrator. I figured it would be some lkind of global option, like in Painter. Is there an equivalent setup in Illustrator? It would be awfully annoying to have to go in and rest each and every brush every time I want to use it.

• 8. Re: Pen Partially Non-responsive in CS4
                        [scott] Level 6

Much like Photoshop's default brushes, certain options are saved with the brush. If you open the preferences for a brush and change them, you can then simply click the "New" icon at the bottom of the Brush Panel to add a new preset containing those settings.

If you want all the brushes to use dynamics, you'll need to do this for every brush. I've found though, for most of my projects, that simply altering the brush as you use it is easier. But, your milage may vary.