Exit

Inconsistent behaviour playing FLV videos in Captivate 4

Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

this is driving me absolutely batty!

I have created a captivate 4 module which has some short (2-3 minute) flv videos on some of the slides.

In "preview project" it all works fine. When published it worked fine on my computer. I then put it on shared drive on our network and sent an email around the office for people to check it.

Annoyingly some people couldn't view it.

we've got about 10 computers in the office, a bit of a mix of Windows Vista and Windows XP but everyone's got I.E. 7 or I.E. 8

some of the computers play the FLV videos fine.

some of the computer just show a blank slide.

one of the computers gives a security warning.

It's so frustrating, I've tried playing with all the browser security settings and the flash "settings manager" thing but nothing works.

I find it really poor that this is so difficult to get to work on standard installs of Windows and IE. Isn't the sales pitch that "anyone can create eLearning EASILY and quickly!". well, not if the features don't work on every 2nd computer

anyone come across this before? or have any ideas?

Thanks heaps!

Gaspar

TOPICS
Import export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Captivate relies on the Flash Player/Add In.

Each of the computers may have a different version of the Flash Player installed. Have you double-checked the Flash Player/Add In version? Maybe that's the answer. To upgrade the Flash.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2009 Sep 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this solves my issue as well. - video embedded in a captivate movie doesn't always play. My question then is

- If I select a late version Flash player e.g. 9 which I need for AS3 support, will a user who has a previous version get a warning message or be unable to see any of the captivate or just not be able to see some of the more advanced content?

thanks in advance

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2009 Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got a similar problem. Using Captivate 4, I've inserted an FLV file from Camtasia. Works perfectly on my computer when I test it locally. But yesterday I uploaded it to the web, and when I get to the slide where the FLV is supposed to be ... I'm staring at nothing. At first I thought it was an issue of it just taking a long time to load, although the flv file is not that big. But I waited and waited, and it never loaded.

On a similar note, when I uploaded my files in the first place, using the Dreamweaver FTP client, the flv file would not upload. In fact, I had to change the file name to something other than .flv, upload it, and then change it back to .flv. I don't know if that had anything to do with this. There was no explanation in Dreamweaver ...just that it failed to upload.

I'm stumped by this. Should I change that file from an flv to something else?? I like it as an flv because it has it's own player controls then.

Thanks for any help.

Marge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marge

I'm wondering if you need to configure the MIME type on your server.

Check the link below:

Click here to view

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was it Rick. Thanks once again for your help.

Marge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 23, 2009 Sep 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I'll check it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources