9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2010 1:00 PM by jmaing

Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.

WestR

Just installed application. Can't get it to start up.

• 1. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
          acath Level 4

Hi,

Here are some things to try:

1) Check out this post: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2054413#2054413

2) Run the CS4 clean script: http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

3) If those don't work, send along the following information:

•   Screenshot of the JVM error

•   OS and OS version

•   OS locale (if you don't know what this means, your locale is US English =))

•   Other CS apps you have installed

Hope we can clear this up,

Adam

• 2. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
            Mykola Golubyev Level 1

Hello,

I have the same problem.

Solutions you provided don't work.

I have Mac Os X 10.5.8. Flash Catalyst CS5 (the only product from CS5). Adobe Media Player. Adobe Flash Player 10.

LANG = en_US.UTF-8

FlashCatalystJvmTerminated.png

• 3. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
              Peter Flynn (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Mykola,

Sorry about the problem you're having.

Here's another thing you can try: go to Applications > Utilities > Java Preferences.  In the "Java Applications" checklist at the bottom, make sure at least one 32-bit option is checked off that is version 5 or higher (if in doubt, send us a screenshot).

If that still doesn't work, you may be able to get us more diagnostic information by doing this:

1. Open Terminal
              2. Type "cd /Applications/Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5" and press enter
              3. Type "./Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5" and press enter (be sure to include the "." at the beginning)
              4. Copy any text that is displayed when you do this

- Peter

• 4. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
                Mykola Golubyev Level 1

"Java Preferences" on Mac has 32 bit Java 5 and it is turned on. Java 6 option is turned on either.

So unless I turn it on I get

/Applications/Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5$ ./Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5

_NSJVMLoadLibrary: NSAddLibrary failed for /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Libraries/libclient.dylib

JavaVM FATAL: Failed to load the jvm library.

So I turned Java 6 option and have managed to launch Flash Catalyst with the following warning message.

/Applications/Adobe Flash Catalyst CS5$ ./Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Flash\ Catalyst\ CS5

JavaVM: requested Java version (1.6.0) not available. Using Java at /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home

instead.

It is ok as temporary solution and I hope you will fix this Guys. And thanks for the Hint.

• 5. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.

Hi Mykola,

I had a little trouble understanding your reply.  Do you think you could help us out by posting the following?

• Screenshot of what the Java Preferences window looks like when Catalyst will not launch (when you get the message "Failed to load the jvm library").
                  • Screenshot of what the Java Preferences window looks like when Catalyst will launch (when you get the message "requested Java version (1.6.0) not available").

Thanks!

- Peter

• 6. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
                    Mykola Golubyev Level 1

I am sorry I sounded confusing.

And here is Java Preferences screen when Catalyst does not launch.

java-preferences-6.png

Here is Java Preferences screen when Catalyst does launch.

java-preferences-5.png

• 7. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.

Hi Mykola,

Thanks for the info.  This is interesting -- the settings in the top screenshot work fine on my 10.5 computer.  Can you check one more thing for us?

• Open Terminal
                      • Type cd /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions
                      • Type ls -l
                        (note: that's a lowercase L, not number one)

• Type Current/Commands/java -version
                      • Type 1.5.0/Commands/java -version
                      • Type file Current/Commands/java
                      • Type file 1.5.0/Commands/java
                      • Copy and paste all the output from these commands and send it to us here

Thanks again!

- Peter

• 8. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
                        Mykola Golubyev Level 1

Peter, here are the results

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions$ Current/Commands/java -version

java version "1.6.0_17"

Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_17-b04-248-9M3125)

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.3-b01-101, mixed mode)

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions$ 1.5.0/Commands/java -version

java version "1.5.0_22"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_22-b03-333-9M3125)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_22-147, mixed mode, sharing)

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions$  file Current/Commands/java

Current/Commands/java: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures

Current/Commands/java (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc

Current/Commands/java (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

Current/Commands/java (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions$ file 1.5.0/Commands/java

1.5.0/Commands/java: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures

1.5.0/Commands/java (for architecture ppc7400): Mach-O executable ppc

1.5.0/Commands/java (for architecture i386): Mach-O executable i386

1.5.0/Commands/java (for architecture x86_64): Mach-O 64-bit executable x86_64

Honestly I don't remember how and when I changed the Current Java to be 6. Several months ago I moved from JEE 5 to JEE 6 (GlassFish v.3).  

• 9. Re: Catalyst- Receiving JVM Terminated message on launch.
                          jmaing

Hi Peter,

I'm having the same problem except I'm running Windows XP SP3. I tried following the previous thread, but the Mac was too different I couldn't navigate to the equivalent areas in Windows. Can you help me?

Thank you,

Jamie

screenshot.jpg