4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 5:31 PM by John Danek

multiply

jurklen

hi all,

i have 2 boxes with different 2 spot color :

1. Box 1 --> pantone 375 c

2. Box 2 --> pantone 123 cvc with transparency : 47% and multiply

what will happen if i print this file (offset printing)?

is there any possibility we can have a 'new colour' if we mix 2 spot color like the in my AI file

thanks

• 1. Re: multiply
          Scott Falkner Level 5

When two objects overlap and have no common inks, Multiply acts exactly the same as Overprint. In your case, the printed colour will be as you intend, 100% 375, 47% 123. That, or overprint, are the only ways to mix non-process inks in Illustrator, but Multiply has the benefit of previewing more accurately without requiring you to turn on Overprint Preview. Multiply will also preview in Acrobat or if your file is placed in InDesign. You can use the Appearance panel to give an object two fills or two strokes and set one of the fills/strokes to overprint. You can then make that combined fill into a Graphic Style.

• 2. Re: multiply
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Do yourself a favor use a pantone black.

• 3. Re: multiply
              Mario Arizmendi Level 3

what will happen if i print this file (offset printing)?

R/ Depending on the method used to utput the file, but nowadays, must of the Rip Software dont't have any problem with this kind of situation, however, let me say that the less complicated and cleaner the artwork, the better Rip results.

I attached your file (Ai CS3) with a littel change but this could be the difference when ripping the file, because using at the same time Multiply or whatever mode and opacity less than 100% can not be good interpreted by some ancient Rips or sofware interpreters....

is there any possibility we can have a 'new colour' if we mix 2 spot color like the in my AI file

R/ I cant' understand exactly waht you mean...a new color on the printed paper or sustrate, or a new color on the swatches pallete?

• 4. Re: multiply
                John Danek Level 4

I concur with Faulkner.  When printed to offset, the darker color ( in this case 375 / Green ) prints first and the lighter color prints last ( 123 / Orange ).  You will get a new color simply because you are going over a 100% Green with a 47% Orange, which could end up in the Browns.  Multoply is over-printing per Scott's post.  Just as you would over-print 100% M and 100% Y would end up Orange.  The amount of saturation could be minimized depending on paper and the fact that Spot colors are a little more opaque than process colors which are meant to be inter-mixed.  If you're not sure about the end result, make sure you see a press sheet before committing to a final run.