5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2009 9:44 AM by the_wine_snob

Realtek HD Audio Manager

mejanr

I am still having probs getting my microphone to work.

Could anyone please tell me if when you go into Realtek Audio Manager, should you have Digital Output and Digitalin across the top. I have only Speakers, Microphone, Front Mic Stereo Mix.

I have right clicked and checked if anything is disabled and there is nothing.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. If I should have to turn off an internal mic already attached to my sound card ( maybe the reason previously suggested by Hunt? as to why my plugged in mic won't work) does anyone know how to do this?

P.S. Also in playback settings in PE, is a plug-in mic considered an external device or do i leave it on desktop audio setting??

• 1. Re: Realtek HD Audio Manager
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your settings depend on where your microphone is plugged in adn what other audio devices are installed, mej.

There's no one, single answer for everyone. Only you can know what the correct configurations are for your system.

But, if you've got a microphone plugged into your computer and an internal microphone built into the computer, I'd definitely disable one of them. Most systems will automatically cancel their audio input if they're receiving it from two sources at once.

• 2. Re: Realtek HD Audio Manager
            mike velte Level 1

Just been there;

The microphone is an OUTPUT device in Realtek HD...listed as "Pink-in". Use Windows to enable it, then click Options>Advanced and you will find the Boost function.

• 3. Re: Realtek HD Audio Manager
              mejanr Level 1

Thanks to everyone for your help - I have disabled internal mic and sorted out audio settings.

However, I have another problem now!!!

When i playback the narration clips, there is a loud click at the beginning and end of each clip. I have tried in vain many ways of deleting the click, but it does not seem to be part of the actual narration clip. It is heard just before each clip begins and ends. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to remedy it?? I am using a standard mic lpugged into the front of my laptop, with the pink and orange plugs connected.

Hope someone can help??

Mej.

• 4. Re: Realtek HD Audio Manager
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is usually an indication of an outdated driver for your sound card.

Go to your sound card manufacturer's site (not your computer manufacturer's) and download the latest driver and, if possible, firmware for your sound card.

• 5. Re: Realtek HD Audio Manager
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Often, those "clicks," or "pops" are from electronic "switching" on the sound card. If Steve's advice does not correct this (good advice whether it does correct it, or not), I'd "process" the Audio to eliminate them in post processing.

The easiest way to do this would be to do all of your edits, as needed. When satisfied, Export just the Audio for the problem Audio Track. To do this, you will want to go to Audio Mixer, and Mute all other Audio Tracks. Export just the Audio (now, only your Narration, or wherever your narration is located) as a PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit file. Bring this combined WAV file into a program like Audacity and edit out the pops and clicks. Note: some other audio editing programs make this even easier, but they are not freeware, like Audacity. I use Adobe Audition (has a Restoration Preset - Repair Transient), but it is anything but freeware. One little program, that does a wonderful and automatic job of repairing transients (your pops and clicks are transients), is Magix Audio Cleaning Lab. It is inexpensive, but works perfectly for clean up like this.

Good luck,

Hunt