5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2009 1:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Does adobe premiere element 6.5 come in different formats.

Big Hearted Al

Now that I have a dual platform Mac, I'd like to upgrade my adobe premiere element 4 to adobe premiere element 6.5 as it appears to be Mac compatible. Are there 2 or more kinds of adobe premiere element 6.5  as some vendors feature the product at $649 and others at $69. I could use some help in understanding this contrast in cost.

• 1. Re: Does adobe premiere element 6.5 come in different formats.
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are confusing versions

Premiere, the REALLY REALLY OLD version, ended at version 6.5

Premiere Elements jumped from version4 to version7 for number compatibility with Photoshop elements

Since you have been confused about version numbers... just what EXACTLY is the "product" at $649?

That might be the price of Premiere PRO but the only way I can think of for Premiere ELEMENTS to be that high is if it is bundled with some type of hardware, especially an external analog to digital conversion device

You need to post LINKS to what you are talking about... as it looks to me like you are comparing cars and planes and one is way more expensive than the other

You may also click the PRODUCTS link at the top and do some reading

Premiere Elements http://www.adobe.com/products/premiereel/

Premiere Pro http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

• 2. Re: Does adobe premiere element 6.5 come in different formats.
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also note that NO version of Premiere Elements is Mac compatible.

The CS4 version of Premiere Pro that Hunt discusses does have a Mac version, however.

• 3. Re: Does adobe premiere element 6.5 come in different formats.
              the_wine_snob Level 9

There is often confusion about versions of Premiere. Much of this is due to Adobe's naming conventions of the programs, and some overlap in the numbers of the versions.

Basicall, the Premiere Lineup goes like this:

Pr 1.0 - PC & Mac (some dot versions in the first 6 versions, also)

Pr 2.0 - PC & Mac

Pr 3.0 - PC & Mac

Pr 4.0 - PC & Mac

Pr 5.0 - PC & Mac

Pr 6.0 - PC & Mac

Pr 6.5 - PC & Mac (last to be dual-platform, until CS3)

PrPro 1.0 (also called Pr 7.0 in some OEM applications) PC only. Note that the name Pro came into being.

PrPro 2.0 (referred to as CS2 and bundled in suites, such as Production Studio w/ Encore, Illustrator, PS and After Effeces) PC only). Last of the     Premiere (non-Elements line) to Burn DVD's without the use of Encore)

PrPro 3.0 (more commonly called CS3 and featured several different bundles) PC and back on the Mac) Encore no longer a stand-alone and bundled with PrPro 3.0/CS3)

PrPro 4.0 (more commonly called CS4 and featured several different bundles) PC and Mac. Now in CS4.1 version) Bundled with Encore.

PrElements 1.0 PC only

PrE 2.0 PC only

PrE 3.0 PC only (note big update with 3.0.2 for Vista)

PrE 4.0 PC only

PrE 7.0 PC only (Note the jump in version numbers. This was to bring PrE into line with PSE, which was often bundled with it)

That is pretty much the history of the two programs. They share a lot of features, and parts of the Sonic Authorcore. As Steve points out, PrE was never ported for the Mac. From Pr 1.0 through Pr 6.5 the bigger program was dual-platform, until PrPro 1.0 thru PrPro 2.0, which were PC-only.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Does adobe premiere element 6.5 come in different formats.
                Big Hearted Al Level 1

Many thanks to the guys that responded to my request, "Does adobe Premiere elements come in different formats." My understanding of your response is that it does. And, there is no compatibility with the Adobe Premiere Elements programs ( the low cost software) and the Mac. There is, apparently Mac compatibility with the higher end programs (costing upwards of $600.) The similarity in language between the two editing programs is confusing and I appreciate the detailed response in my request for help.

• 5. Re: Does adobe premiere element 6.5 come in different formats.
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Al,

You are correct. Also, be aware that there is both a Photoshop and a Photoshop Elements. Photoshop has always been available for the Mac, and as of version 2.5 some decades back, also for the PC. I have no clue about PSElements, and the Mac. Someone else will have to give you those details.

Good luck,

Hunt