10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2009 11:59 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles

qseep

My understanding of Rove Across Time, from the help, and from the book I'm reading (After Effects Apprentice), is that it should alter velocity keyframes, but leave the spatial path alone. When I apply it, the spatial keyframes don't move, but some of the spatial bezier handles get shortened, so that the curves become more linear from point to point. I can correct it by stretching the bezier handles back out, but why should I have to do this? The book doesn't mention this happening. Is this a bug in AE?

- Lyle

• 1. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Hello, qseep.

Your understanding is correct. The spatial behavior should not change when position keyframes rove across time.

If you have a project in which this isn't the case, feel free to post it here (zip it before, since the system can't take AEP projects files directly) so we can take a look. Ideally, it would be nice if you could produce a screen recording that shows this behavor when you change the interpolation setting. But don't worry if that turns out to be too complicated.

• 2. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What version of AE do you use? Regardlesss of this, I agree with the previous comment, though. This should not happen at all, or else it would be kinda pointless to have that feature....

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
              qseep Level 1

Thanks Adolfo. I've attached a test project which demonstrates the issue. If you select all the position keyframes (except the endpoints) for the X layer, then choose Animation > Keyframe Interpolation from the menu, select Rove Across Time under Roving and hit OK, the bezier handles will be disturbed.

I've also attached the before and after screenshots: Test_Rove_1.png (before) and Test_Rove_3.png (after). I also took a screenshot of the dialog box that was Test_Rove_2, but that probably isn't as interesting and I couldn't attach more files.

- Lyle

• 4. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
                qseep Level 1

Aargh, right, I can't upload .aep files. I've attached all the files as a .zip here.

• 5. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
                  qseep Level 1

Mylenium, I'm using CS4 on Windows Vista Home Premium.

• 6. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles

qseep:

Yes, I can trigger the behavior you mention. But only when I toggle the state to "rove across time" from within the Keyframe Interpolation dialog.

If I toggle the state from the direct "Rove across time" shorcut you get when you right click the keyframes, it behaves as expected (no change in the spatial behavior). Go figure.

I'll try to get an explanation on why this happens, but at least there's a workaround for this stange case. Toggle the state from the contextual menu you get when right-clicking the position property keyframes.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
                      Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Actually you may simply not have set the dialog options correctly. When I open the dialog, it states Continuous Bezier, which is the state the path was assigned the last time. AE stores that info and will correctly set it to this state if you don't change it. Therefore make sure the spatial interpolation is set to Current Settings, which is also the same that the context menu uses, hence it works more intuitively there. not a bug or something, just some slightly inconsistent logic at work here...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
                        qseep Level 1

Yes, that's true; if I access Rove Across Time from the shortcut menu, it works as expected. It seems that the Keyframe Interpolation dialog should default to "Current Settings". Even better, if it just said the name of the current setting.

What I also find strange is that if I right-click on any of the keyframes, the Info panel says it's Continuous Bezier. Yet if I pick Continuous Bezier (or Auto Bezier) from the Keyframe Interpolation dialog, the bezier handles are altered. But if instead I pick Bezier from the dialog, the bezier handles stay the same. So are they really Continuous Bezier, or just plain Bezier?

Thanks,

Lyle

• 9. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles
                          qseep Level 1

Yes, it says Continuous Bezier for me, too, but if I hit OK, the bezier handles are altered. I have to pick Bezier, or Current Settings, to not alter the handles.

Thanks,

Lyle

• 10. Re: Rove Across Time disturbs bezier handles

Even better, if it just said the name of the current setting.

The actual meaning of "current settings" is that there's a mix of interpolation modes in the selection