1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 187 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 11:07 PM by royhutw Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Document could not be printed -  This will fix
        acroxfor30days987

I had this problem with a document I created in Word 2010, then imported into Acrobat Pro X to make into a form.

I couldn't print it in Acrobat Pro X or Acrobat reader 9.  I would get the errors:

"The document could not be printed" then "There were no pages selected to print".

Since i created the document, I was able to take it apart and remove items until it printed correctly which it eventually did.

What had happened was that I had added some new text in Acrobat Pro, all other text was imported from the original Word document .

This new text created in Acrobat was causing the error.  Once I deleted this, it printed fine. I had to reimport 1 page form Word with the edits made in that file to make my final document.

- If you didn't create the original document, this is of no help to you unfortunately.

- Printing to a .xps was not a workaround for me as the error occurred there also.

• 81. Re: Document could not be printed
          ibrahman

I have Windows XP Professional and have been getting the same two error messages, The Document cannot be printed, and There were no pages selected to print.

I was going to try to register with Adobe to see if that would work. I went to Start-All Programs-Adobe Reader 9.

When I did that a small installation dialog box opened saying Installing Adobe Reader 9. It just took a few seconds then the blank PDF page opened up. I selected the document I had been wanting to print and clicked on the printer icon. It printed perfectly! I just tried printing another document which I was unable to print before and it too just printed.

Hope it stays fixed! Give it a try and good luck.

• 82. Re: Document could not be printed
            CarmaJeanine Level 1

So far so good!  Your instructions have worked for my iMac 10.6.5 running Acrobat Professional 8.2.5.  I never had trouble with Reader.

Thanks!

• 83. Re: Document could not be printed
              HollywoodCA

I removed Adobe and while reading through the posts downloaded and then reinstalled the latest reader, Adobe Reader X (http://get.adobe.com/reader/).

I am using Windows 7. It is working fine now.

• 84. Re: Document could not be printed
                pasturesofplenty

We had the same problem here ("The Document could not be printed" and "No pages selected to print").

I could replicate the problem only when printing to the network printer.  Printing to my local printer worked fine, which pointed to an issue communicating with the print driver.

Our solution (or workaround) is to use a different print driver.  This is a solution we've used for a variety of printing issues over the years.  We had the same issue with Toshiba printers before, and now with Xerox printers:  Simply add a second version of the printer out there, share it with a name like Generic_Driver or something.  This will point to the same physical network printer, but instead of using the default Postscript driver, go into the printer properties and change the driver to a generic driver like the HP LaserJet 4.  At least in our case, many if not most PDFs print just fine using the default print driver, but it's a heck of a lot easier to troubleshoot printing problems if you've got an alternate print driver ready to go.  The problem will very often come down to an incompatibility between the software and the PS driver.

• 85. Re: Document could not be printed
                  grizzlyfireguy

Hi all,

I too am having the same problem - on only one computer in my office of 20 or so computers.

When I attempt to print a document, I get the now infamous error "Document could not be printed" error in reader. Can still print from any other program, but need to use Adobe Reader. I tried it on both versions 9 and now Adobe Reader X, with the same results.

I am running XP Pro completely updated. I have attempted the following:

1.) In the print option, click "advanced" then select to print as image. Still can't print

2.) Save the document onto the computer, open and tried to print. Doesn't work.

3.) Uninstall completely everything with Adobe on it, and reinstalled. Still no go.

The computer prints through another PC that has the printer shared. This setup is the same throughout my office, with no problems for other computers.

Any help would be much appreciated, and I will update if I find anything out.

Thanks,

Richard

• 86. Re: Document could not be printed; drawing error occured
                    GDurkee Level 1

I can't believe Adobe hasn't done something about what seems a widespread problem across several platforms and Adobe products. I just started have this problem and have tried several of the solutions offered here:

making sure I was registerd & repair didn't work nor did eliminating the Preferenes folder. Printing as image DID work but not a great solution.

I am running Acrobat Pro 9.x on Windows 7 x64. The problem only started recently and seemed to occur only with documents of multi-layers of data (ArcGIS export to PDF maps). Other documents printed fine. It seemed to be a problem of incompatible fonts, but I don't know for sure, only that several of the documents gave me an error message on open that some of the fonts may not print correctly. I'm on a network printer, burt also tried to print with a direct USB connection from my computer. Same errors ("could not pint -- Drawing error occured).

I don't know which is more irritating, the problem (though solved by print as image) or Adobe not respoinding to such a long-running thread.

Grrrrrrrr.

Has anyone started a ticket on this?

George

• 87. Re: Document could not be printed
                      thecornerangel Level 1

this is my problem too -- did you fix it?

• 88. Re: Document could not be printed
                        DrPhilH

Have not fixed it. what I do to get around it is when the document is displayed, I print

it as a picture. Terrible that adobe can't fix it.

• 89. Re: Document could not be printed
                          GDurkee Level 1

Here's more bad news: I just ugraded to Acrobat 10/windows and GET THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM! Auuuuggghhhh! Got a call-back to tech support right now. Will keep people advised on a solution, if any.

Update: sitting here waiting for them to call back and fiddling. I opened the layers table of contents and turned off one layer (a text layer surrounding a map). That allowed the document to print, so at least I've isolated the problem. Also, it's a multi-page document generated by a Data Drive Pages export from ArcGIS. I still think it's related to some font not translating well. I also tried to "flatten layers" but it's either hung up doing so or just akes forever -- I let it run 25 minutes before ending the program.

More news as it occurs... .

George

• 90. Re: Document could not be printed
                            inavanblogger

Nullifidian,First check the printer and then try ,otherwise you can either copy to a new file and try it or else you could have install latest version of adobe reader and try it.Still,if the problem rise,you can contact a Adobe professional,for a solution.

• 91. Re: Document could not be printed
                              DrPhilH Level 1

Here is my latest workaround. Since I use Google for my email, I view the document in

Google email. When I have the full page viewing, I right click on the page and print it as a picture. The pain in the A about it is, I have t

o do this for each individual page. Wish Adobe would fix the issue. I even had the problem with a PDF I created from scratch in Adobe Professional.

• 92. Re: Document could not be printed
                                GDurkee Level 1

Well, I just opened a ticket with Adobe and sent them the file I've been having trouble with. Yet another workaround was, in Acrobat Pro, to "Print to PDF" (!!), then open that document and print. It worked. So the problem for my document is back to multi-layers which are eliminated in both Print as Image and Print to PDF. The same sounds true for the Google fix above.

I had also changed the suspect fonts to Times New Roman, and that didn't fix it.

More later.

George

• 93. Re: Document could not be printed
                                  GDurkee Level 1

Well, this is not getting any easier. Adobe responded:

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. My Name is Amit. This is in  regards to your query posted on the Adobe web support portal regarding an issue  with Adobe Acrobat.

We regret to inform you that we would be unable to  suppoer your request as ArcGIS mapping software is not in the list of our  supported softwares. I would request you to please contact ArcGIS about the  problem <(>&<)> they might hwlp you.

We regret the  inconvenience caused.

I don't think they really regret the inconvenience. They didn't even investigate to determine if the file I sent them was caused by a problem with the ArcGIS PDF engine or with Acrobat.

But I did make some progress in another workaround and some clues, though not sure how many people it might help.

ArcGIS offers the option to Export to PDF and then converts the map layers to a PDF layered document. When I tell it to export multiple pages to a single file, I get the error on print discussed here. However, if I choose to print each page as a single file, I do not get the print error in Acrobat 10 nor do I get it when I highlight all the individual PDF files and choose "combine into one file" -- the newly combined file also prints fine.

And, when I choose the same map set in ArcGIS and instead of using the Export function choose FILE ==> PRINT ==> PDF (instead of a printer), it again will print fine on opening in Acrobat Pro 10.

When you open Properties in each set and look at Advanced: PDF Producer, you get different producers for each. I don't know what this means, but it seems to be relevant. The maps that don't print show the PDF Producer as Adobe PDF Library 9.0 -- this is apparently the engine within ArcGIS.

When, within ArcGIS, I choose Print to individual files (which is ultimately error free and prints) there is nothing shown in the PDF Producer space.

When, within ArcGIS, I choos Print ==> Adobe PDF (which is also error free and prints) it shows as Acrobat Distiller 10.0.0 (windows).

So I guess it would be useful for people having this problem to find out what the PDF Producer is and whether there's a relationship there.

Workarounds to try, then, are to print to PDF from the original software creating the PDF and see if that helps. Probably not too many programs have a specific Export to PDF such as ArcGIS does, but if so, export as individual files then recombine them as a single document.

I was able to contact a programmer at ESRI (makers of ArcGIS) and she's going to explore the problem from their side further.

George

• 94. Re: Document could not be printed
                                    Somerlot123

I was having this problem. I downloaded a freeware pdf unlocker and used it and resolved my issue. http://dailyfreeware.net/2007/05/15/freeware-pdf-unlocker-v104-2/

• 95. Re: Document could not be printed
                                      Tim Cunningham-ACP Level 2

I had the exact same issue printing an Adobe PDF Form we had created using Acrobat X.  However it was only for this form, other PDF printed fine.

Symptom when trying to print this PDF:

"The document could not be printed."

and then

"There were no pages selected to print."

Resolution:  As I said this is our own software and we created the PDF with Acrobat X. The developer was asked to make an ammendment to an existing PDF Form. He copied and pasted from Word on to the document.  Apparently this also copied some hidden characters with it,  the PDF looked fine in Reader and looked fine in his version of Acrobat X.  However when I opened the PDF in my copy of Acrobat, there were obvious "gobbledy ****" characters (techincal term there)  I had him delete the two blocks or text he had altered, copy the text from word to notepad and then paste the block of text into the PDF.  Now it generates fine.

I know this doesn't directly help any of you who are using software that is using Adobe PDFs, however if you don't get the above symptoms on ALL pdf's, only on some, then the issue lies with the 3rd Party Software company.  You could possibly point them to the above resolutoin that worked for my company.

Thanks,

Tim Cunningham

Adobe Community Champion

• 96. Re: Document could not be printed
                                        DrPhilH Level 1

Ok, Now my ire is up...As an end user, I hate when the end user

is made into a football and punted between in this case Adobe and a "3rd Party Vendor."

Sorry, that doesn't play with me. I created a document with Adobe and immediately after saving the document with

Adobe which CREATED the document, I got the error. So to blame this on a 3rd party vendor, I say bull sh*

t"

• 97. Re: Document could not be printed

You can say whatever you like, Dr Phil, it doesn't change the fact that I *AM* a 3rd party vendor and in the case I mentioned above, this issue *WAS* caused by me.  My company however cleans up it's own mess rather than passing the buck to Adobe.  Your case may be different, I was just sharing my experience and how I resolved the issue.

Did you create the PDF in question with Acrobat X?

Did you convert it from another document using the Adobe Print Driver?

If you can share the  PDF with me I would be glad to take a look at it.

Thanks,

Tim Cunningham

Adobe Community Champion

• 98. Re: Document could not be printed
                                            Ben Frey Level 1

Hi Tim, thanks for responding.

I fail to see how this could be anything other than an Adobe problem. I have intermittent issues to this day with the "could not be printed" error, and it is NOT "all" documents, and there are NO 3rd party softwares in play, unless you count the OS that my CS5/Acrobat 9 install is using to access the hardware it is running on.

But then, the OS isn't exactly "3rd party" is it?

One specific example I remember from last year involved a PDF that was created by InDesign, using no fonts at all, only "outline" text, and a handful of PSD files on each page.

Acrobat 9 refused to print it, and Apple's Preview printed it (although it obviously rasterized it at some point on the way to the printer, because the vector shapes of the "font" were slightly softer than they would have been otherwise.)

I would much rather you guys say "Bugger. We don't know." than "3rd party software problem, go away."

• 99. Re: Document could not be printed
                                              GDurkee Level 1

I agree with Ben here. This is obviously a fairly common problem. While it's true that third party software may be the source, for the average user to try to troubleshoot the problem after being dismissed by Adobe is monumentally irritating. There seems to be some sort of common link with strange and hidden font characters -- perhaps created by 3rd party software of many types -- getting into a PDF then glitching. But that's what Adobe reader & Pro are! They're suupposed to take and print PDF files as well as be able to edit and comment etc. A huge percent of the documents those programs use are created OUTSIDE of the Adobe program and Adobe needs to make it so the user can understand and fix the problem -- preferably from within Adobe, not some murky and unhelpful error message. At the very least, Adobe should examine the problem and know enough to suggest a solution to the end user. "Yes, we've seen that problem before. It is most likely caused by your 3rd party software creating the PDF and if you do this (or look for this) it should clear up the problem. Thank you for contacting Adobe."

The 3rd party people don't know much about PDF and can't really help. They just put whatever the PDF engine in (an Adobe product). How is this really their problem?? Especially if it's something about the PDF engine they're using??

A followup on my earlier post of our workgroup's problem: Memory is hazy, but we did trace it to some gibberish characters in a pre-conversion font command, I think.Had to go into the script that set the font.

George

• 100. Re: Document could not be printed

Ben,

To be clear, although I have the honorary title "Adobe Community Champion" I am not an Adobe employee.. just a user like you guys.. admittedly I am an Adobe fanboy, as I make my living via Adobe ColdFusion Programming.

My issue sounds very different from yours Ben.  I have never had this issue till my developer corrupted the PDF.  I read through all the posts on this thread.  The post by acroxfor30days987 rang a bell with me, so I investigated there and it paid off. 

It sounds to me that the symptoms may have multiple root causes.  I have logged a Bug Report Form to Adobe and referenced this thread.  I agree that Acrobat should not let me as a 3rd Party break the printing function of a PDF, but 3rd Party vendors like my company also need to be aware of this issue too, so we don't aggravate our customers.

Thanks,

Tim Cunningham

Adobe Community Champion

• 101. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                  blossomkat

Whoosh is right.  I just installed Foxit pdf reader, and my file printed with no hesitation.

Carol

• 102. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                    Tom Trimble

When I installed Adobe it used COM1 for the printer port. What worked for me was going in to the printer properties for the Adobe printer and changing the printer port from COM1 to Documents\*.pdf.

Running Adobe Standard 8, Windows 7, 64 bit

• 103. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                      DrPhilH Level 1

I think this issue has been resolved by Adobe over the past few updates. Seems Adobe has been doing a lot of updates lately. But instead of telling they fixed it and admitting it, Adobe just silently fixed it and we can go on our merry way.

• 104. Re: Document could not be printed

They do mention the bug fixes included in the release notes.

Sent from my iPhone

• 105. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                          DrPhilH Level 1

While I appreciate ultimately the issue resolved, as an IT Manager with over ten thousand users worldwide, I personally don't have time to read every release note for every application that my organization uses. nor do I expect my staff to bury themselves in this kinda of stuff. Perhaps when the issue arises, Adobe could have fixed it right away instead of almost 2 years later.

• 106. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                            sofrikkinhard

I got both messages after clicking through an automatic upgrade. Saw the post about Foxit and tried that. No go. (No error messages but no print job, either.)

But this worked:

Open Adobe reader

Select HELP

Select REPAIR ADOBE READER INSTALLATION

Done and done. Prints fine now.

Profile:

Adobe 9.4.4

Printer: networked

Windows 7/Dell

• 107. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                              Ivan_123456789

In Adobe Reader 9 there is an option in the Help menu called "Repair Adobe Reader installation".

I had the same issue and this fixed it.

• 108. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                Mindset Guru Level 1

These pdfs must be corrupt files. Try downloading from a different source if possible.

• 109. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                  Ben Frey Level 1

Most of the problem experiences referenced in this thread are with files created on the afflicted computer using another Adobe product, such as InDesign or Illustrator. You can't download a corrupt file if you aren't downloading a file in the first place.

• 110. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                    PDFGenius

I cannot believe that this thread lasted for 2 years without a solution:

Three options:

If you're using Windows 7 (and possibly a Canon printer) you need to open Adobe and select "Help" > then "Repair Adobe Reader Installation". Make sure you printers are connected when you carry out this process. Carry out this process each time your Adobe Reader updates.

This should fix your woes.

Alternatively, (does not work all the time) select "Help" > then click on "Check Updates" (if any).

As a last resort, right click on your Adobe shortcut > select "Properties" > then "Compatibility" and specify your Windows/Mac version. Go back to "Help" and check updates.

However, the first option should work if you're using Windows 7.

• 111. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                      Costa231ab Level 1

PDFGenius wrote:

I cannot believe that this thread lasted for 2 years without a solution:

Three options:

If you're using Windows 7 (and possibly a Canon printer) you need to open Adobe and select "Help" > then "Repair Adobe Reader Installation". Make sure you printers are connected when you carry out this process. Carry out this process each time your Adobe Reader updates.

This should fix your woes.

Alternatively, (does not work all the time) select "Help" > then click on "Check Updates" (if any).

As a last resort, right click on your Adobe shortcut > select "Properties" > then "Compatibility" and specify your Windows/Mac version. Go back to "Help" and check updates.

However, the first option should work if you're using Windows 7.

Thnak you very much, this was solving my problem! (The same as discussed below) !

Costa

Fahrradteile & Bike Parts

• 112. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                        helpmeplease58

Dear PDF Genius,

As someone with very limited computer skills, I was happy to try this simple solution and even happier when it worked!

My problem was different from many of the others in that I never received any error messages when trying to print the forms. I could see the completed form, however, it printed a blank page. When I tried to save as an .xps file, it too was blank.

I did the "Help" > then "Repair Adobe Reader Installation".

Also checked for updates (there were some) so after they installed, I did the repair again.

I went to the online .pdf forms I've been trying to print (the kind with fill-in fields that can't be saved) and it printed the actual document, not just a blank page.

This was really bugging me - thanks for the help!

• 113. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                          Jamesva68

I was able to resolve this on my Win 7 64-bit system.  Here are the details:

1. I use a network printer which is attached to another Windows 7 PC.

2. I connected to the remote Windows 7 PC using Explorer.  This required me to authenticate on the remote PC.  Basically, I browsed the shares (without connecting to them) on the remote PC.

3. I opened the PDF using Adobe and was able to print.

It appears that the "No pages were selected to print" message is a generic error message that is displayed for multiple error conditions.  In other words, it's a catch-all error message.  What makes it so problematic is it misleads people into thinking there is a document or application error when there is an underlying network error which has nothing to do with the Adobe or the PDF.

• 114. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                            philsexton21

Could you speculate on what" there is an underlying network error" kind of network error?

• 115. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                              AdobeeSchmobee

All of these answers are complete hogwash.  I've tried every single one of them.  This whole problem for me began last week when another person in the office couldn't print a particular PDF.  I ended up having the same problem.

I don't have any network problems and no problems printing any other kind of document to my printer.  The problem is Adobe, and a bug in their program.  This is infuriating.  Makes me never want to use an Adobe product again.

• 116. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                Gerizeke

We had the same experience with printing PDF documents.The message said "Document could not be printed" followed by

"no pages were selected". Thanks to the suggestion regarding free download of Foxit PDF Reader from your forum, the problem was

totally eliminated and hopefully never to return.

• 117. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                  Rosendo de Jesús Churión

I am indebted to Geriseke for giving me the answer to my problem, But I have to said that I found my book wrote in Words, so I don't need to change my electronic book. Thank you very much.

Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 09:16:38 -0600

From: forums@adobe.com

To: rjchurion@hotmail.com

Subject: Document could not be printed

We had the same experience with printing PDF documents.The message said "Document could not be printed" followed by

"no pages were selected". Thanks to the suggestion regarding free download of Foxit PDF Reader from your forum, the problem was

totally eliminated and hopefully never to return.

>

• 118. Re: Document could not be printed
                                                                                    lesyeux

Windows 7 32 bits

Adobe Reader X 10.1.0

PDF/X-1a:2001 file created by Adobe Illustrator CS4 via Adobe PDF Printer on Mac OS X Leopard (Postscript + Distiller => PDF). There is absolutely no problem with this file checked by Acrobat Pro !!!!

Impossible to print on Windows 7. No problem on Mac OS X. No problem with other pdf apps.

I solve the problem today by unchecking the "Enable Protected Mode at startup" in Adobe Reader preferences + restart the application.

Edition » Preferences » General

Unecheck "Enable Protected Mode at startup"* and restart Adobe Reader

* I translated that from French, not sure…