3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 5:53 AM by Ned Murphy

Linking a banner to URL using clickTag

Lizwe

Hi guys,

I've search the whole Flash forum but I can't seem to get any clear answers. Here's the thing:

I need to be able to link my banner to a URL using clickTag because this is what Google requires.

Can someone please give me clear instructions of what I need to do in order to get my banner linking to a URL.

Please also provide an example of how the code should look like - as in the finished product with a dummy website name and a dummy button name.

Please write these dummy names in bold so they are clearly visible.

I'm kinda new to Flash and I've got no coding knowledge so please do understand.

• 1. Re: Linking a banner to URL using clickTag
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try seaqrching Google for "clickTag FlashVars".  You should be able to find something that explains what you need to do in whatever version of actionscript you are planning to use.  If you cn't find both together, then search them separately, and for the FlashVArs, specify the AS version in the search as well... "AS3 FlashVars"

• 2. Re: Linking a banner to URL using clickTag
            Lizwe Level 1

Hi Ned,

I followed your advise but anothing makes sense to me.

Can you please walk me through making a banner link to a URL with clickTag

included in the code.

So far I've created the banner and I have also created a transparent button

on the top layer. Now I just need to get the code to add to the last layer.

Please provide me with a code template which I can copy and add my URL and

button name and paste into my AS.

Please help.

Regards,

Lizwe

• 3. Re: Linking a banner to URL using clickTag
              Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To walk you thru it I'd have to do what I told you to do.  I doubt I can explain it any differently.  You'll have to spend some time studying the information and trying things... that's what I'd be doing if I had to do what you're doing.

It seems straight forward enough from a quick scan of one link in the search, though I don't know what the whole clickTag deal is about--maybe it's for spiders to latch onto.  You set a FlashVar variable named clickTag to a URL in your embedding code and use that value in assigning your button code's link.