15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 9:24 AM by the_wine_snob

How automatate addition of transitions to video

mtechman Level 1

Hi;

I am creating a video that has 25 video clips and 70+ stills.

I need to size each and every photo to 30%-40% of original because the resolution form the digital camera is so high.

Is there a way to automate this to save time, then I can go tweek the stills I want?

Also I need to add 100+ transitions which is really time consuming.

Does premier pro have a way of automatically adding random transitions?

I

• 1. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Photoshop is the right tool for the batch resizing.

Premiere can automatically add the same transition using Automate to Sequence, but not random transitions.

• 2. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For resizing in PS, see this ARTICLE.

For adding random Transitions to a SlideShow, a program like PrElements, or one of the ProShow group would be the way to go.

You can set your default Transition, and change it evey now and then, use Ctrl-d at the "joint" between the images and automatically apply the default Transition.

Encore has a limited SlideShow capability, and you might want to explore it, as I believe that it can do ranodom Transitions too, but it's quite limited.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
              mtechman Level 1

Thanks for the answers.

I have found that resizing stills in Premier Pro give a better viseo quality in the end rather than resizing in PS (or Corel in my case)

As for transitions, wouldbe a nice feature and save alot of time. MyDVD a $100 package can do it.

• 4. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Maybe it's just me, but "random transitions" sounds like a really bad idea.  I, for one, am not comfortable turning over creative decisions to an automated, randomized feature.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I have found that resizing stills in Premier Pro give a better viseo quality in the end rather than resizing in PS

Then I suggest a new opthomologist.  Photoshop will do a dramatically better job of resizing images.

• 6. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I have found that resizing stills in Premier Pro give a better viseo quality in the end rather than resizing in PS (or Corel in my case)

I do not know about Corel, but your results and observations are the exact opposite of what I see. Now, I'm coming from an advertising print background, so I am extremely critical of any image results, but even a glance indicates that PS does a much better job, than does PrPro. Still, if it works for you, don't change.

As for transitions, wouldbe a nice feature and save alot of time. MyDVD a $100 package can do it.

Actually, Photoshop Elements does it. The thing is, most people using PrPro do not want "big-button" solutions. They want 100% control of every aspect of a Project. It's like the auto pan-zoom features that some programs have. I wouldn't use any of those, because each image is unique and what works for one, will likely not work for the next 1500.

It's kinda' like Transitions. I use Dip-to-Black, and Cross-Dissolve. It's 1000:1 that I'll use any other Transition, unless I have a very, very good reason to do so, and the design of the Project calls for it. The rest just sit on my machine gathering dust.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      most people using PrPro do not want "big-button" solutions.

Correction:

most people professionals using PrPro do not want "big-button" solutions.

Many people using Premiere Pro probably should be using Elements.

• 8. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I agree, especially for those who wish full automation. Though I have PE, that is the biggest drawback to me - that danged automation. I would never trade in my PrPro, even though I own about four other NLE's. None has the power, and control. They are all big-button programs.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 9. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                          mtechman Level 1

So all you guys who dont want big button solutions would rather spend 30 minuets adding  random transition you dont care about rather than pushing a button?

In my opinion (from one who uses/architects software  used in the design of semiconductors ie; chips that run your computer ) your control freaks.

• 10. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            So all you guys who dont want big button solutions would rather spend 30 minuets adding  random transition you dont care about rather than pushing a button?

Absolutely. I come from an advertising photography, print background, so each image is unique. I have never seen any program that can really get to the heart of even one image, let alone hundreds. I would no more think of using some canned pans and zooms, plus Transitions, than I would think about letting some program do the adjustments of my original images. My eye is the final determinant and I will not give that up.

Sorry, I am the last person to support any big-button solution for images. It is like PE's Movie Themes & Instant Movie. How can any Preset know my personal vision?

Good luck, and please look into both PSE and PhotoShow Gold/Producer. You will find many big-button solutions in each, and one might be right for you.

Hunt

• 11. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                              mtechman Level 1

I think you missed my statement " I dont care which transition is auto applied"

I can always go change what  dont like.

If software can create 70 transition is 1 sec  as opposed to me creating each and everyone at random in 30min,

and I then can go change what I want, I call that useful software.

• 12. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

If software can create 70 transition is 1 sec  as opposed to me creating each and everyone at random in 30min,

and I then can go change what I want, I call that useful software.

No, I did not miss your statement, but I fear that you have missed mine, a couple of times. PE and ProShow Gold/Producer can do this for you as part of the Project. They would be better suited for what you need and want.

In the end, it's just picking the right tool for the job, regardless of what it is.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

So all you guys who dont want big button solutions would rather spend 30 minuets adding  random transition

Actually, most professionals won't be using random transitions, which is why the feature you ask for is found only in consumer editors.

• 14. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                                    cdv1960

For the first part of the question - set the size on your first still. Select then right click and "copy"

Drag around the entire remaining stills on the timeline so they are all selected.

Right click then "paste attributes".

All the images will be the same size as the first. This works for any effect inc keyframes. Very useful.

Pro CS4 will apply transitions to all clips in one go but CS3 will not. I assign video to F3 key and Audio to F2 with a default of 12 frames each.

Then you just page down from edit to edit and hit F3 F2  - very fast. Then watch and adjust.

The default dissolve duration can be changed easily.

• 15. Re: How automatate addition of transitions to video
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

To date, I have never used "random" anything. It's like the Auto Effects. I do it all by hand, and by my eye. I know what I want, and it will not be random anything.

I cannot imagine a random Pan & Zoom working with my images. Each is unique. Each needs special treatment. I have never encountered an AI algorithm that can study each image, and determine exactly how I would want it handled. Might exist, but I've not seen it, and suspect that I could not afford it.

As Jim points out, there are programs that will do exactly what you want, and for that, will do it very well. Run your SlideShow through one, and then Export to DV-AVI Type II*, for final editing in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

* for HD use the appropriate format/CODEC