8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 5:16 PM by the_wine_snob

printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere

woodyy

I print pdf timelines from animatics in an old copy of premiere and annotate  as a timing guide for animation production. The 'print timeline' command has been dropped in new versions of the software so I've kept an old machine dedicated for this one task running premiere 5.5 (the last version of software that printed pdf timelines dependably). I will soon be starting at a new company and will need this feature...how do I buy a copy of the old version (5.5) of the software....?

(It's a shame adobe drppoed this feature as it drove lots of animation people away from using premiere)

Thanks,

Woody

• 1. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try here http://www.emsps.com/oldtools/ or eBay

There have been MANY MANY messages about "modern" software bought on eBay being pirate versions that do not register, but if you are careful with checking the seller's feedback, you might be able to find a version that old that is real

• 2. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
            Eddie Lotter Level 4

I print pdf timelines from animatics in an old copy of premiere and annotate  as a timing guide for animation production.

Have you tried the Clip Notes feature of Premiere Pro. I suspect you will be able to use it for your purposes.

Cheers
            Eddie

• 3. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Woody,

I see that John T. Smith has already given you the link to the old software site. I just added it to your other thread on CS4 eating Pr 6.5.

Sorry I did not see this thread first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
                Heimhenge Level 1

Try Retro Software at:  http://www.retrosoftware.com/

That's where I found a reasonably priced version of Premiere 6.5 (6.0 wouldn't run on XP), and you won't get any pirated stuff there either.  Didn't really need the latest version of Premiere for my purposes, but when I upgraded my OS to XP, I also needed to upgrade several apps.

Dan Heim

• 5. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
                  woodyy Level 1
                  Thanks alot everyone...I'll try buying the old version of software...RETROSOFTWARE looks perfect (and cheap) I really appreciate 
                  really appreciate the help!
                  Thanks,
                  Woody
                  • 6. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

Thanks for the link. This has become a really popular subject lately for some reason.

I only had the link that John posted, so another resource will be helpful to the OP and to recommend others in the future.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 7. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
                      Heimhenge Level 1

Hunt et al.

Maybe the reason it's such a popular topic is that a lot of people running W2K (as I happily did for almost 10 years) are being forced into an XP or VISTA upgrade just to get the software tools they need to stay current?  I resisted as long as I could, but had to break down and setup an XP system last year.

In fact ... I came close to "downgrading" my new laptop from XP to W2K.

I now have two machines in my home office:  the new XP machine and my old W2K machine, which I need to keep running to avoid more software upgrades.  Case in point, I'm still running FrameMaker 5.5 which works fine for the tech writing side of my business, and I don't need any more "features" to do what I want to do.  But it won't run on XP.  I've been using FrameMaker since the early days, when it was owned by Frame Technologies, and wasn't happy about Adobe buying them out.  If you browse the FrameMaker forum you'll understand why.

I was just last night ranting to the wife about this.  What if your automotive tools required an upgrade every 4-5 years?  Your carpentry tools?  Your cooking tools?  The analogy may not be perfect, but upgrades is the one thing I don't like about our tools.  Everything else about this business is a lot of fun, a creative outlet, cathartic for me.

Sorry to wax so philosophical, but this has been bugging me a lot lately.  See my thread on render crashes for another example:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/468420?tstart=0

I still think I may haved screwed up the settings on that new Edius capture card.

Dan Heim

• 8. Re: printing timeline and How to purchase old version of Premiere
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Dan,

I do see your tool analogy. However, the software users, and PrPro-users in particular, break into about three camps. Won't say they are 1/3, 1/3 and1/3, but there seem to be three camps:

1.) wants their software to run perfectly on older computers and OS's, regardless of any advancements that might exist, or how old the computer is.

2.) wants their software to run on the very latest equipment with beta OS's and handle every CODEC that has yet to be developed, or employed.

3.) are just happy to have a stable editing tool with their newer (not cutting-edge) equipment and don't care about backward compatibility with pre-SSE2 instructions sets, because they have CPU's that contain these. They just want stability and will find workarounds if they get handed this week's CODEC du jour.

Not that many years ago, I had to build a special system, just for some older 3D painting programs, that I used. There were no upgrades available, and the newer competitors ran many $1000's for the packages. I'd have needed to spend over US$4000 to get what I was doing with my old programs. I built a then state-of-the-art computer, BUT it had to have Win ME, or earlier, and it could ONLY have 512MB RAM! The I/O sub-system was a series of RAID arrays (except for the system disc) and the CPU was the hottest at that moment. The RAM (all 512MB) was as fast as I could get - then. As I do not use that software any longer, I just converted the box to XP Pro and filled with with 4GB RAM. I now use it as my #3 machine. FWIW, machine #4 is still running Win2K and doing fine at what it does.

Again, thanks for that old software link,

Hunt