4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 12:23 AM by DarvinAtkeson

Why am I getting a Setup Error installing Catalyst?

randyedmonds

I have downloaded the latest version of Flash Catalyst and I'm trying to install it on my Macbook, but it will not install!

When I try installing Catalyst, durning the "Checking System Profile... " phase, a small window pops up that states "Setup Error   Setup has encountered and error and cannot continue. Contact Adode Customer Support for assistance."

Any idea why it won't install or what I can do?  

I'm attempting to install it on a 2.4 Ghz MacBook with 4GB of Ram.

This is the only thing being logged in Console...

Picture 4.png

And this is a screenshot of the error....

Picture 2.png

• 1. Re: Why am I getting a Setup Error installing Catalyst?
          Thomas L (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi,

Not sure why, I haven't run into this issue. But based on your statement, here are some suggestion for you to try.

- If you have another copy of pre-release Catalyst installed, make sure to uninstall it first using Uninstaller (Home > Applications> Adobe Flash Cataylst > Uninstalling Adobe Flash Catalyst.

- If that failed, try run cleanup script

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs4clean.html

hopefully, it will get you back up running.

thanks

Thomas

• 2. Re: Why am I getting a Setup Error installing Catalyst?
            randyedmonds Level 1

Thomas,

Thank you for your suggestions, but neither of those worked.... actually I had already tried them, but I tried them again to no avail.

This is very frustating, I would really like to try Catalyst.

-Randy

• 3. Re: Why am I getting a Setup Error installing Catalyst?
              Thomas L (Adobe) Adobe Employee

Hi Randy, sorry that didn't help.

Can you give us a bit more details on what you have done or different things you tried so far ?

For examples:

- Have you had MAX build (or iteration builds) installed on the system before ?

- If you have a MAX build (or iteration builds) installed, how did you uninstall it , and was it successful uninstall?

- Do you have multiple disk mount images (Adobe Flash Catalyst.dmg) on your system during the installation ? If you do, make sure you remove / delete extra copy images.

- When you see the problem dialog, have you try launch the Activity Monitor (Mac HD > Applications> Utilites> Activity Monitor). If you see Adobe Flash Catalyst running, try select it and click on Quit Process button. Then re-launch installer again.

- It does not sound like download image is corrupted, but maybe you can try downloading again if all failed.

thanks again,

• 4. Re: Why am I getting a Setup Error installing Catalyst?
                DarvinAtkeson

I figured this out on my system. 

1.  When you run the setup, it creates a .log file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Installers.   Look at the bottom lines.   In my case it clearly listed an error with the My Pictures folder. 

"Error 1324.The path My Pictures contains an invalid character."

2.  I did a Google search of the above error and found that since I do photography, I had moved the My Pictures folder to a drive of it's own and for some reason (probably the addtion of more drives) the Windows registry was pointing to the wrong drive and folder name.   I manually corrected the error simply by editing the registry entery and correcting the path. 

Hopefully the .log file will show what error the installer is encoutering on your system.

Good luck.

Darv