5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2010 1:55 PM by John T Smith

AVCHD - Unsupported format message on XP but works on Vista

gim010

Hi, I must be missing something but I can't figure out what.

I have Premiere Pro CS4 installed on both my desktop (Win XP) and my laptop (Win Vista).

I've been trying out the new Canon Vixia HF20 camcorder and recorded a few short clips in Full HD using the MXP format (AVCHD 1980x1080i).

The thing is that when I import such a clip into my Vista's Premiere, it works flawlessly and I can perform edits.

When I try to import the same clip into my XP's Premiere, I get the following error message dialog (see attached png file):

Preview in Source Monitor Failure

{name of file}

Error Message

File format is not supported

One more thing, I can import the clip without a problem in Cyberlink PowerDirector on the same XP desktop that I can't in Premiere...

Also, on Vista, I get a sequence preset folder of AVCHD with choices of 1080i, 1080p and 720p. On XP, no AVCHD preset folder is shown when creating a new sequence, although the AVCHD folder is present in the "Adobe Premiere Pro CS4\Settings\SequencePresets" folder on both machines.

Any idea what's happening? Am I missing something on my XP desktop?

Thanks in advance as any advice is appreciated.

Marc

Tech info:

Software: Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 v4.1.0 (113 (MC: 166418)) on both computers (up to date)

Desktop:  Windows XP Media Center Edition 2002 SP3 with latest security patches

3 Gb of RAM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E5200 @ 2.5 GHz

Lots of disk space (multiple hard drives with more than 150 Gb available on each)

Scratch disks on separate drive than OS

Laptop: Window Vista Business 2007 SP2 (32 bits) on Dell XPS M1730 with latest security patches

3.5 Gb of RAM

CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme X7900 @ 2.8 GHz

One hard drive with 150+ Gb available

Scratch disk on same drive than OS

• 1. Re: AVCHD - Unsupported format message on XP but works on Vista
          Mitchell Small Level 1

I am about to try this same process with Canon VIXIA HF R10.

I was surprised when I opened the flash drive folders and saw the strange file names. I'll let you know how it goes. I have Vista Ultimate and Premiere Pro CS4 at home, XP Pro and Premiere Pro CS4 at work.

I am starting to regret going HD!

• 2. Re: AVCHD - Unsupported format message on XP but works on Vista
            Harm Millaard Level 7

HD is not bad at all, AVCHD may be.

• 3. Re: AVCHD - Unsupported format message on XP but works on Vista
              Mitchell Small Level 1

A Loud Cheer Is Heard From The Crowd!!!

OK, sucess with Vista Ultimate. Monday, I can check it out with XP, but I am predicting that will be a success as well.

Being brand new to the world of video and Premier, everything I do is an act of faith at this point. What I was reacting to with my previous comment was the fear that working with the files was not going to be a staright forward Import, Modify, Export Final Product path. I was afraid I'd have to make a detour to import into some intermediate format, then bring it into Premiere.

Glad that's not the case at all!

I will do my best to report sometime on Monday if XP is as straightforward as Vista. If Idon't have a problem, I will be real curious what caused the problem qim010 is reporting.

Regarding AVCHD . . .  are there different "flavors"? From my still photography background, I found that RAW is not the same across the board: Nikon RAW is not quite the same as Olympus RAW and, at least when I got my first Olympus that did raw, there was differences withing the Olympus line. I had to wait a while for the an update to Photoshop even though an older version of Olympus RAW could be read. Maybe that is why qim010 is reporting a difficulty with Sony AVCHD.

• 4. Re: AVCHD - Unsupported format message on XP but works on Vista
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Many (most?) file types are merely wrappers, and may contain several different codecs

Use the FREE http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ to find out what is inside that file

• 5. Re: AVCHD - Unsupported format message on XP but works on Vista
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The chances are good that you do not have the proper CODEC installed on the XP machine, or that an update to that installation of CS4 has reverted it back to the "trial" version, which supports NOTHING MPEG. If that is the case (I'd just test with an MPEG-2 file), then you will need to:

1.) De-Activate that copy of PrPro

2.) Uninstall it (do not go about Deleting files, but use Uninstall)

3.) Run Adobe Clean Script CS4 several times, re-booting in between

4.) Re-Install CS4 and then update it completely, before doing anything else

There have been several cases here, where updating CS4 has cause the installation to revert to "trial." Does not happen THAT often, but often enough. To date, we do not know why, or what the possible "triggers" are for this behavior.

Hope that helps, and good luck,

Hunt

PS - just noticed that the OP was from June. Sorry for being so late. Did not see that post, when it was still fresh, but maybe this reply can help others.