7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2009 7:36 AM by beatzMalone

Preloader Issue

beatzMalone Level 1

Im trying to add a preloader to my portfolio..im adding a scene called preloader then placing it first in the play order...then i add the animation-movieclip and the preloader code in that scene...  so the preloader should be the first thing that shows up...instead the whole movie loads in frame 0 when i run the simulate download command in flash....

In the bandwidth profile it shows it stuck on frame 0...when i try it on my site it loads everything on a blank screen then zip pass preloader scene and jumps in to the main movie....CHeck it out here tier3studios.com

tier3studios.com/myfiles/myportfolio.zip this is the file.

My question is why is it loading at frame 0 when frame 0 doesnt even exist....i get no errors whatsoever...

Help?

• 1. Re: Preloader Issue
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

don't use scenes in navigation and don't use the goto functions.  use frame labels and the goto methods.

in addition, if you have any objects with linkage/embedded fonts, they're going to load before your preloader is displayed.

• 2. Re: Preloader Issue
            beatzMalone Level 1

Point taken..but do you have a tut somewhere online i could follow...

im a newbie and your answer still leave me without direction.

thanx.

• 3. Re: Preloader Issue

show the code you're using for your preloader.

• 4. Re: Preloader Issue
                beatzMalone Level 1

you know what i deleted the preloader scene from my fla. now their is no preloader code whatsoever the project is now back to its orginal form.

But to my surprise it still loads every thing in frame 0. so its not the preloader thats causing this problem. When i simulate download it still shows it stuck and loading in frame 0 with a blank screen... any idea why is that happening?

if you need to see what im seeing just get the zip file above and delete the preloader scene and you'll see.

Edit

ok  i did a search for swf stuck in frame 0 and found a 2002 post with the same problem.  http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?t=15570...

apparently anything in the library that is set up to "export for actionscript" will generally load before frame 1. according that forum post the solution however is to load my main swf into a seperate preloader swf but the code is as2...

Im not sure how relevant is that solution or if there is a better way?

Do you have any suggestions...

• 5. Re: Preloader Issue
                  beatzMalone Level 1

ok

• 6. Re: Preloader Issue

as i mentioned above, if you have any objects with linkage/embedded fonts, they're going to load before your preloader is displayed.

and, if you have any objects with linkage/embedded fonts, they're going to load before anything else in your swf is displayed.

there is a way around this is you don't need some of those assets in frame 1 of your swf.  is that your situation?

• 7. Re: Preloader Issue
                      beatzMalone Level 1

actually i set the advance action script settings to load in frame 2..that fixed it...