25 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2009 10:27 AM by tanika97174

please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.

tanika971

HI, my problem is when I install Adobe Reader 9, it downloads every file I want to download, so the only way i can stop this is to un-install it, download what I want ( usually card making things pics etc) and then I have to re install it, as you can imagine this a nusience, so I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this problem. I am using Vista, and it did not always do this, but has started to in the last couple of months, have I done something to make Adobe Reader 9download every file??? I thank you in advance for you help.

[Edited by host: Please do not type in bold or use large size type. It makes reading your post extremely hard to read]

• 1. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
          MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Please explain what you mean by: it downloads every file I want to download

Reader doesn't download files. But if it did download every file you wanted, what would be the problem since you wanted the files?

• 2. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
            tanika97174

Hi  Michael.

Thanks for answering. i am not PC literate, so trying to expalin my problem is difficult. I make cards, (greeting cards) and am able to download things i have bought online. but when i have Adobe reader 9 installed, i am unable to open as everything is saved as an adobe file, so when i want to open it, i cant, the only way round this, at the moment is for me to un install Adobe download what i want, then re install it gain when i need it to read a Card making Cd for example? how can i stop it saving everything, and so not having to install and uninstall all the time. i thank you for your time. and hope !!!! i havve made it clearer.

Lynne

• 3. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
              tanika97174 Level 1

i appologise for writing in large font, i have never used this forum before.

thanks

lynne

• 4. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Michael

i hope you get this as i sent it to myself last time. I am not very PC savvy so will try and explain what my problem is.... I make cards, (greeting ones) and can buy things to download online, toruble is, Adobe reader 9 that is installed on my pc, saves everything for some reason, so when i want to open the download, i cant. the only wa y i can get round this, is to un install Adobe reader, and then re install it when i need it to look at a card making cd thats needs it. it did not alwsy do this, i could download things and open them, no problems , all of a sudden this has started to happen, where Adober saves evrything. how do i solve this ?

i thank you for taking the time to help.

Lynne

• 5. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                  pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

as I understand your description, once you have downloaded your items, they will open with Adobe Reader?

Two additional questions:

• do you know what file type these downloaded files are?
                  • what program do you expect should open these files?

It appears that there is something with the file associations going wrong.

P.S. don't hesitate to ask for clarifications if you don't understand my questions.

• 6. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                    tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat.

I'm sorry i dont know what sort of files they would be, some i think would be jpeg,  they are usually Papers that have been decorated and i just ahve to print them off once i have downloaded them  for say decuopage etc, the thing is adobe is saveing everything at the moment so when i want to open the file to print off, i am told thet its not avaiable , even tho i know i have downloaded it, after paying for it. i hope you can under satnd what i mean, like i said my laptop has not always done this,  so i am wondering if i have changed something with out knowing.? thanks again for yur help, its is very much appreciated.

Lynne

PS i also dont know what sort of programme would open this type of file, all i can say, it would be a file of papers that are ready coloured, painted,  drawn etc, ready for someone to downlaod and print off, cut out and decorate greeting cards with them. i hope you can understand, sorry i cannot be more specific, but i have no clues re PCs and they way they work. unfortunately.

• 7. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                      pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

Have you used Adobe Reader before, i.e. an older version than 9?

Would you be willing to try the previous version 8.1.x?  If so, uninstall Adobe Reader 9, then download Adobe Reader 8.1.3 from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.3/enu/AdbeRdr813_en_US.exe and install it.

Is the problem still happening now?  If not, please download and install the 8.1.6 security patch from ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/8.x/8.1.6/misc/AdbeRdrUpd816_all_incr.msp and install it.

• 8. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                        tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat

I downloaded this verion you sent me, and paid for a download from a website called NitwitsCollections.com. its a zipped file of papers etc, when i went to download them, i notice that Adobe was saving them again??? so i canceled the download as the last time i downloaded from this site. , ( not realising adobe was saveing it) i could not open the files so had to contact the firm and ask for another link to downlaod again, so i did not download it this time as i could see it was adobe that was downlaoding it? i am at a lose now. the only wa y i can download is to keep installing and un installing. :-(

• 9. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                          pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

I'm sorry - I was hoping that the 8.x version would fix the problem.  Obviously it did not, so I'll have to ask you a few more questions, as I do not 100% understand the problem you are seeing.

1. You did uninstall Adober Reader 9 before installing version 8.x (Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs) ?
                          2. What version of Windows are you using?
                          3. What browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, ...) ?
                          4. Now this is the question I need to understand most: you wrote that "Adobe is downloading it", and "Adobe is saving it".  Can you describe exactly what you mean by that?  It is usually the browser that is downloading and saving downloaded files.
                          5. You write "I could not open the files"; what exactly is happening when you try - do you get an error message?
                          • 10. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                            tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat

Sorry to be such a pain. i will try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1) yes i had un installed it that way.

2) I am not too sure what this means, but does windows vista sound right? thats what it says on my Laptop.

3) I have Both, because there is a certain site ( craft) that i cannot do certain things on woth IE so i use it for that site, but usually i use IE

4) this is the hardest to explain. because i am not sure about the second half of your question.

I know adobe is saveing/downloading a file because when they prompt you to click on DOWNLOAD, and save the file, a box comes up with the save on it, but also the ADOBE icon is on it, so i now know that i cannot open it if i let it save as its not that type of file. when i do try and open it, it tell me, adobe cannot open as its a file thats not supported and that a error occured on the download. so i have to un install adobe, then download the file again and i am guessing here, because i checked on the box that came up this time when i down loaded and there was no icon so i guess it was the browser? and the file was fine and opened ok. i then have to in stall adobe again, because i need it to use a CD i am useing to do a Parchment craft course. so as you can imagian its a nusence installing and un in stalling, but i dont know what else to do.

Thanks for you help Pat i do appreciate it.

Lynne

• 11. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                              pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

Thank you for your replies; I do understand it a bit better now.  However, I do not understand what is causing it!  This is one of the cases where it would help a lot if I could just stand behind you and watch what you are doing...

I am now pretty sure that it has something to do with the file associations (i.e. the file extension - e.g. JPG - getting somehow assosiated with Adobe Reader, or possibly another Adobe program).  This is why you see the Adobe icon when you download, and possibly the file extension gets changed to another one?

But I am speculating here; I should ask you more technical questions - with instructions how to find the answers, but I do not know Vista, so I am almost a bit helpless in this situation.

But rest assured, we will at the end find a solution for your problem - you will not need to install & uninstall Adobe Reader every day!

Any of the experts here familiar with Vista?  I think we need to find out

a) what file types Lynne is actually saving from here downloads?

b) what programs are associated with these files?

• 12. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat, thanks at least you are understanding me a little, will wait to hear from you.  !dont have adobe installed at the Mo.

• 13. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                  pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

unfortunately no-one else has replied, which probably means that no-one else has Vista.  So I will try to give you instructions on how things are done on Windows XP, in the hope that they are not too different on Vista.

1. open Windows Explorer (Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer);
                                  2. click on Tools -> Folder Options -> tab View;
                                  3. there should be an option 'Hide extensions for known file types' - uncheck it, then click OK.
                                  4. go to the location where you saved your downloaded files - can you now see the file extensions (the last three characters in the file name, after the dot)?  What are they?
                                  5. on Windows Explorer, click again on Tools -> Folder Options -> tab File Types;
                                  6. under 'Registered file types', scroll down until you find the extension of your saved files.  Click on it, and it should tell you with what program this file type is associated (below, under Details - Opens with: ...).

If you can find these information, that will get us some steps further.

• 14. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                    tanika97174 Level 1

fHi Pat

I managed the first [art of this and came up with JPG. AND PNG. but when adobe is installed it turns it to a PDF.

the second half was not so easy because we are working on 2 different systems, adn i could nto find the File Types tab, or the registered File Types that you wanted. i can tell you what i found as i wrote it down

under GENERAL

TASKS = SHOW PREVIEW AND FILTERS AND USE WINDOWS CLASSIC FOLDERS. (THE FIRST ONE IS TICKED.)

BROWSE FOLDERS. = open folder in same window.  open in it's own widnow. (first is ticked.)

VIEW TAB =  Folder views = you can apply the view ( such as Icons and details) that you are using for this folder or all folders of this type. THERE ARE 2 BUTTONS. APPLY TO FOLDERS and RESET FOLDERS.

ADVANCED SETTINGS.

Aways show icons, never thumbnails

Always show menus

display file icon on thumbnail

HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS.

Do not show hidden files and folders

show hiden files and folders.

Hide extensions for known file types

Hide protected operating system files ( reccommeded)

launch folder windows in a seperate process

Remeber each folders view settings

Restore previous folder at login

show drive letters

show encrypted or compressed NTFS in colour

Show pop up description for folder and desktop items

THEN there is the SEARCH TAB.

I hope this is of some help.

• 15. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                      pwillener Level 8

tanika97174 wrote:

I managed the first part of this and came up with JPG. And PNG. but when adobe is installed it turns it to a PDF.

Hi Lynne,

I think the above is the key to resolve your case.  However, I have to leave right now, and will probably not be able to come here until Monday.

Hopefully someone else here will have a look before that.

• 16. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                        tanika97174 Level 1

Thanks for the help so far Pat.i have  appreciated it.

Lynne

• 17. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                          tanika97174 Level 1

Hi  Seoagarg

am not sure what else you want to know, all the info is in the thread.

Lynne

• 18. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                            pwillener Level 8

tanika97174 wrote:

Hi  Seoagarg

am not sure what else you want to know, all the info is in the thread.

Lynne

It was just a spam post, which in the meantime has been deleted by a moderator.

• 19. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                              pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

it seems that nobody here is using Vista, or no-one knows how to check or modify the registered file types on Vista.  It could probably be found with the registry editor, but I am not going to expose you to the potential dangers of the registry editor.

Re-reading your post makes me think that something must be happening during the downloading of your files.

You wrote earlier that you actually download a ZIP file, rather than individual JPG or PNG files - is that correct?

When you download a ZIP file, does the browser prompt you where to save it on disk, or does it directly open the contents?  If it opens directly, does it open it in Windows Explorer, or a program like WinZip?

If it prompts you where to save the file, does that prompt have a file 'File name' and 'Save as type' field at the bottom?

saveas.png

In the 'File name' field, do you see the file type (extension), like xxx.ZIP or XXX.JPG ?

In the 'Save as type' field, can you change it to 'All Files' ?

I am asking all these questions because I think it is here that something goes wrong.

• 20. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                                tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat

yes it was a zipped file it contained printed backing and Decuopage papers for me to print off. and you buy as a package and download,  when u download, if it just 1 pic or paper then i t would be a Jpg or the other one . its saves it directly to my my pictures, because i was looking to see if i could change it, when adobe was installed, but there was no way on the download box i could click n to change anything, and i guess when adobe is not installed the browser diecrectly saves it to my PICTURES and the i have to EXTRACT THE FILES,  i don't think its win zip, it just says EXTRACT ALL FILES, AND I CLICK ON THAT AND IT OPENS THE FILE FOR ME. ( SORRy thats in cpas lock my finger slipped. ;-(   ) i hope this helps!!!!!

I did winder why that other person sent links to gay stuff etc, i did not click on them .

• 21. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                                  pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

I am sorry, I have to admit that I do not understand what's going on on your system

Would you be willing to try an alternate PDF Reader?  I never tought that I would ever suggest that, but this case exceeds my capacity.

The Foxit Reader is a popular alternative to Adobe Reader, and it can be downloaded from http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

Make sure that you download only the free Foxit Reader, not the bundled software pack that is also free.  Equally, when you install the Reader, make sure that you uncheck any offers of additional free software such as Ask toolbar, or Foxit toolbar.

Let us know how it goes.

tanika97174 wrote:

I did wonder why that other person sent links to gay stuff etc, i did not click on them .

You were not mean to - these forum spammers have a different agenda.  Their target is not us, the forum users, but search engines like Google.  They hope that the more often the search engine spiders find certain links on the Internet, it would increase their "page rank".

That's why they try to blend in; asking questions about the topics they post in, and their spam links almost invisible to users.

But we spot these spam posts, and delete them on sight (or report via the Report Abuse link).  At the end they gain nothing - except the ire of the regular forum users!

• 22. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                                    tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat,

Well i am glad it nots just me thats confused with this whole adobe thing. i will certainly try what you have suggested and definitely let you know how it goes,

Thanks for all the help you have given me so far pat.

Lynne

• 23. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                                      tanika97174 Level 1

Hi Pat

apologize for not getting back to you till now, but I was not able to access my PC till today and download Foxit, I did as you said, and yipeee, it worked, I am able to download something now without it being turned into an unreadable file by Adobe. as i tested it out by downloading a zipped file, and all was fine, i was also able to read my cd i need for my parchment course, So that looks as if you have sorted out my Problem, and i thank you very much for doing so.

I wish you all the best, and once again, i thank you.

Lynne

• 24. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                                        pwillener Level 8

Hi Lynne,

Glad it turned out OK in the end, although we still don't understand what happened in the first place.

All the best,

Pat

• 25. Re: please help me. retired Grandmother seeks help.
                                                          tanika97174 Level 1

Hi pat

I agree, we did not find out what caused it,  I have owned this laptop for about 18months, and up untill a recently was able  to download my files with adobe installed, it seemed to happen over night, that i noticed when i downloaded something, it was always adobe that saved it even when it was not a file used by the programme. all very strange.

Thanks again for all the help you gave me.

Lynne