1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 10:16 PM by mronen

Profile for Canon G10 to simulate Olympus E-3 colors

mronen

I want to create a profile for Canon G10 which will simulate Olympus E-3 colors.

I performed the following steps, but the result is very disappointing:

1. Photographed a GretacgMacbeth ColorChecker with a G10 and a E-3, in the same light conditions (Open shade) in RAW.
      2. Converted the RAW files to DNG with DNG Converter 5.4, all default settings.
      3. Opened the E-3 DNG file in Profile Editor. White balanced by right-click on patch #19. Set Base Profile to E-3 Adobe Standard, Color table 6500K, 'Both color tables'.
      4. Set 18 Control Points, one on each color patch, #1 to #18. Wrote down the HSL values for each.
      5. Closed the E-3 file and cleared everything.
      6. Opened the G10 DNG file in Profile Editor. White balanced by right-click on patch #19. Set Base Profile to G10 Camera Standard, Color table 6500K, 'Both color tables'.
      4. Set 18 Control Points, one on each color patch, #1 to #18. Wrote down the HSL values for each.
      7. Noted the numeric difference between the HSL values for each patch in the G10 file, vs the E-3 file.
      8. Corrected the HSL values for each control point, by the numeric difference between the two files.
      9. Saved and exported with a new name.

Obviously I did something wrong, because the result is BAD!

I'll appreciate it if someone could help and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
      Moshe

• 1. Re: Profile for Canon G10 to simulate Olympus E-3 colors
          mronen Level 1

I'd like to add two observations about my above experiment:

1. If I change the values of a Control Point using the sliders or the point on the color wheel, the preview changes, but much less than the change of the slider. Say, I change the H slider to -10, the change in the preview is only -2, or so. Is that how it should be?

2. If I hover with the cursor over a color patch in the ColorChecker preview the values change, probably due to noise, and it's difficult to decide which is the correct point. I didn't find an option, like in Photoshop, to set the sampling size so the value is an average of several pixels in all directions.

Moshe