1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 18, 2009 2:30 PM by Sean_Wilson

MUS game help

Draxido

Hey everyone.  im currently on my summer break from college, and when i go back i will be attempting to create a small multiplayer game, say for the sake of argument, upto 4 players.  I will be using Director (version 10) to create the game.  I have very limited knowledge with the software, but ive picked up alot in the short time that i have used it.  What i want to do now with my free time is learn abit about the multiplayer codeing so when i go back i wont have to rely on my lecturer too much.  My question is would the Multiuser server 3.0 be sufficient enough to allow easy communication between the clients?  if not could you reccomend anything else?  and if so, could you possibly show me some tutorials and how to guides.  Every search i come up with seems to be for flash or action script, which im not atall familar with.

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: MUS game help
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional
          My question is would the Multiuser server 3.0 be sufficient enough to allow easy communication between the clients?  if not could you reccomend anything else?.

The multiuser xtra alone is capable of setting up peer-to-peer connections among up to 16 users, so you don't really need the server. However, the server takes the load off the peer host and also means you don't need to know the host's address to connect to.

There is also the free, open source OpenSMUS alternative to the Shockwave Multiuser Server 3.0 (based on Tabuleiro's Nebulae Multiuser Server). Smartfox is also mentioned, but it doesn't support the MUS protocol.