Your message is very vague.
What "app" in what "instructions"?
I'm sorry if I launch either Adobe Bridge or PSE 6.0 I get an message that there are updates available for Camera Raw. I successfully download the update but upon installing I get the error message - 'Camera Raw was not installed application is not found'. I've used Camera Raw before successfully so am not sure how or what I need to do to help the update 'find' the software. Does that help clarify?
You can look in Help > About Plug-In > to see what version of ACR you have in Photoshop.
I guess it's the same for Elements.
If you don't have the latest you can download and install manually.
(The adobe installers are dodgy and that's being polite!)
How do I install manually I have not been able to find the location of the file that is mentioned in the manual instructions I don't believe...
can you provide that information to me?
I have PSE 6.0
The following is from the Adobe Support page. I suggest you print it out so that you can refer to it.
Install Camera Raw 5.4 for Photoshop Elements 6 on Windows
1. Close Photoshop Elements 6.
2. Download Camera Raw 5.4 from http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4524
3. Extract the Camera Raw.8bi file from the ZIP file you downloaded. (Extract only the Camera Raw.8bi file that is at the top level of the ZIP file. Do not extract the Camera Raw.8bi file from the Win64 folder that is inside the ZIP file. This folder contains the 64-bit edition of the Camera Raw plug-in, which is compatible only with the 64-bit edition of Photoshop CS4.)
Note: ZIP files are compressed files which contain other files. On Windows Vista, you can extract Camera Raw.8bi by right-clicking on the file you downloaded, choosing Extract All, clicking Extract, and then opening the newly-created Camera_Raw_5_4 folder. On Windows XP, you can extract Camera Raw.8bi by right-clicking on the file that you downloaded, choosing Open With > Compressed (Zipped) Folders, and then dragging Camera Raw.8bi to your Desktop.
4. Do one of the following:
* If you use a 32-bit edition of Windows, then move Camera Raw.8bi into \Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats. If you are prompted to overwrite the existing plug-in file, then click Yes or Overwrite.
* If you use a 64-bit edition of Windows, then move Camera Raw.8bi into \Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats. If you are prompted to overwrite the existing plug-in file, then click Yes or Overwrite.
5. To install Camera Profiles, extract the CameraProfiles.exe file from the ZIP file that you downloaded. Next, double-click on CameraProfiles.exe and then follow the on-screen instructions.