14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2010 4:36 PM by the_wine_snob RSS

export to AVCHD?

sunlit777 Community Member

Can please anyone enlighten me?

I must be dumb, or else - where is the option to export to AVCHD, since this format is natively supported?

I am editing .mts clips from my HD Sony cam, they are 1920x1080 25i AVCHD format, and when exporting the resulting movie I can only choose h264 bluray (or mpeg2 bluray, or whatever else) BUT NOT NATIVE AVCHD!

with high quality h264 blueray preset I get files double the size of original ones.

WHERE is the option to export back to AVCHD without any transcoding (except for the transitions and effects) - to save time, space and quality? Is this some sort of copyright limitation due to the fact that Adobe does not have the AVCHD codec license or what?

Which codec/settings combination would be recommended for export of AVCHD if the primary aim is to get files of identical image quality and not too much bloated in size?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: export to AVCHD?
          Curt Wrigley Community Member

You should want your clips out of avchd format as soon as possible; not back into it.

• 2. Re: export to AVCHD?

care to elaborate? What can be better than the original format of the shoot? I thought any transcoding was detrimental to quality.

Please suggest what codec/settings I should use while exporting from Premier to keep full original quality and not to double the size?

• 3. Re: export to AVCHD?
              Curt Wrigley Community Member

AVCHD is highly complressed.  Writing back to that format will cause it to go theough the compression a 2nd time which is bad.  Yes; even if you just make a cut.  Why?  It is temporally complressed so if you cut a frame that is needed to build the 4th frame back - recompression is needed.

You can edit it natievly in Pr; then export it to ther final distantion format for delivery.   If that is for bluray; then bluray.  If its for web; then web.

It seems like you want to save an intermediate file.  Can you explain why?

• 4. Re: export to AVCHD?

well, one of the reasons is that AVCHD seems to be more compact with regard to file size.

and sometimes I just add a few transition effects and not touch the video in any other way - in this case it would be nice to just render the transitions and put everything back together quickly without transcoding the whole sequence.

Please note that my original question was not about reasons for exporting to AVCHD, but about the AVAILABILITY of such an OPTION in Adobe Premier. So you confirm that this options is simply NOT AVAILABLE?

• 5. Re: export to AVCHD?
                  Powered by Design Community Member

They say on the Main Concept site that the Adobe plug-in can export back to AVCHD

• MPEG smart rendering.
                • Native MPEG-1/2 and H.264/AVC editing.
                • Many ready-to-use project presets for many different occasions.
                • Many ready-to-use export presets, such as Blu-ray, Sony PSP, Apple iPod, AVCHD, DVD etc.
                • AAC, PCM, MPEG Audio and Dolby Digital support.
                • Fast AVCHD editing support to optimize your workflow.
                • Native support for the latest HDV camcorders from Sony, JVC or Canon.
                • Real-time capture to MPEG.
                • Direct export to HDV tape.
                • IEEE 1394 output during editing and scrubbing.
                • More editable encoding options and a wider range of parameter values.
                •  

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/prosumer-products-4/mpeg-pro-hd-7850/features-7861.html?L= 0

Maybe this is what you want

Enjoy:  Glenn

• 6. Re: export to AVCHD?
                    JSS1138 Community Member

WHERE is the option to export back to AVCHD without any transcoding

Not possible in Premiere alone.

For the kind of editing you describe, you may want to look at a consumer editor.  It may suit your needs better than Premiere Pro.

• 7. Re: export to AVCHD?

MpegPro codec from MainConcept seems like a good idea, thanks for the first helpful hint in this thread. However it seem to be available for Windows platform only. I use Mac.

• 8. Re: export to AVCHD?