5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 6:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Buzz at the end of clips

Maya.D

Hi

I'm using Premiere elements 4.0 to put together a very basic video of our holiday.  I've filmed with a JVC Everio camera.  I've used MPEG Streamclip as advised by "Steve" following his instructions on how to convert into a PAL DV-AVI.  When I use these converted files in Premiere Elements I find that occasionally and for no apparent reason I get a very irritating short "buzz" at the end of each clip.  I have resolved this by expanding the timeline to the maximum so I can see the sound and go to the end of each clip.  When I see what looks like a solid black rectangle at the end of the clip I cut it out.  This tedious process seems to fix the problem but I always seem to miss one or two when I burn it onto a DVD.  I'm not sure when or why this buzz appears.  I have two questions

1. Am I doing something to cause this buzz to appear.  I've just watched one of the converted clips in Windows Media Player and the buzz isn't there.  It's definitely there when I play the same clip in the timeline of Premier Elements.  Additionally when I add the same clip later in the timeline the buzz doesn't appear!  I'm confused.

2. If I'm not doing anything to cause this does anyone have an idea how I can edit the clips in a less tedious way?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cheers

Maya

• 1. Re: Buzz at the end of clips
          N9JCR Level 2

Maya,

I am not sure this is the same problem, but I have two Panasonic DV cameras and I have noticed the buzz, or I might describe it as a series of static electricity "pops", at the end of some clips.  From my experience, it happens only when the camera is turned off - I usually notice it at the end of the last clip on each tape.  And they are very obvious in the timeline - the audio representation looks like this:   ______|__|__|__|

Unfortunately I don't have any resolution to this beyond what you already are doing - edit out the last few frames when it occurs.  In my case, I'm usually trimming the end of the last clip on a tape anyway so not a big deal.

If this is the same problem you are describing, you might try this (I have not myself yet):  before you turn the camera off, switch from recording mode to playback mode.  At least on my Panasonic, I can do that without turning off the camera - can't say for sure on a JVC.

Hope that helps -

Bob

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Buzz at the end of clips
            Maya.D Level 1

Hi Bob

Thanks for your advice.  It sounds like a similar problem.  The only difference is I'm not working from my camera.  I download the files onto my computer from the JVC using Explorer and then convert the files.  The files are always on my computer when I am working on it so I'm not sure your advice would work unless I'm misunderstanding your instructions.

I have on several occasions gone through the whole video painstakingly and cut all the pops/ buzz's out of the clips and then frustratingly, when I burn it to DVD a get a few sneaky ones in there.  I'm only doing the video's for my own enjoyment and I'm trying to get over my perfectionist nature by saying "it isn't that bad" but the truth is, it's annoying and each time I watch the DVD the sound gives me a fright because it is unexpected.

I hope someone else might be able to provide some more advice for me.

Thanks again for taking time to reply to my post.

Cheers

• 3. Re: Buzz at the end of clips
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The ideal way to tackle this problem is to find out exactly where these transients are being introduced.

In the stated workflow, shooting, Importing, conversion, Importing to PE (including the Audio Conforming), then Transcoding and burning to DVD, I'd check each leg for these problems. If you cannot hear them in the camera, when played back, we rule that out. If you cannot hear them after they are Imported to the computer, we can rule that out too. Check the files immediately after the conversion, to eliminate that. [Note here: I'd make sure that my conversion program was outputting PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit Audio. Test play that file.] Now, this is where I'd suspect the problem is - Conforming in PE. That is why I recommended converting to the exact file type/spec. that PE will use. If you now get the transients, something in PE in introducing them. This seems likely, as yours' is a fairly common complaint. Most users refer to these transients as "pops." They usually appear at the end of a Clip's Audio, and seem to be introduced by something in the NLE (Non Linear Editor). They happen with many different NLE's and not just PE. It probably has something to do with the digital Audo processing, but I've never seen the definitiver answer, even from the digital Audio experts. Since, if this is the spot of introduction, we might not be able to eliminate the creation of these transients, we need a fix. As you indicate that you can remove them and they are not reintroduced in the authoring/burning phase, we can eliminate that last step in the workflow.

OK, what is the fix. Well, you have developed a manual method, that works pretty well, unless you miss a few. I do similar for other transients (fortunately, I have never encountered this fairly common problem), with Adobe Audition. It has a Preset, Repair Transient, that is nearly perfect. In my case, the transients are in the real world, and in the file - things like a squeak from a door hinge, an item dropped on the floor during the take, or similar. It is not likely that you will want to go out and buy Adobe Audition, just to fix these transients. It's a great program, but too expensive for just this.

Instead, I'd recommend that you look at a little program for Magix, Audio Cleaning Lab. I picked it up some years back, along with some other Magix software in a bundle. Basically, I got it for nearly free, and see it around for ~ US$30.00. I thought of it as a free "toy." Heck, I had Adobe's $500 Audition, what did I need this little program for? But, it was basically free. I installed it, along with the other Magix Audio software, and it sat, and sat. One day I had a very noisy Audio file. I filtered it, compressed it, expanded it, gated it, EQ'ed it, hit it with transient removal and everything that Audition had. Still sounded bad. After a day, with blood coming out my ears, I decided to just see what Audio Cleaning Lab could do. I fed it in, and let it do its thing. Son-of-a-gun, the result blew my mind. I went back to the original bad Audio file and fed the unaltered version into this little program. Wow, even better, than with all my Effects and tweaks. I brought it back into Audition for some light touch up and instantly became a fan of this "toy." It is not perfect, but does an unbelievable job. It allows for some manual input, but it Presets are a good starting point.

I'd look into it, and then do a Render/Replace on the Audio portion of these Clips. That will generate a separate WAV file, that you can edit in Audio Cleaning Lab, and when you do a Save, the cleaned file will be back into your Timeline.

I do not know if Magix has a trial of this program, but it might be worth a look. It takes the hunting out of the equation, and likely will repair the transients better than you can by hand, or me with Audition.

Good luck, and please keep this thread updated with your findings, as this problem seems more common than it should be.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Buzz at the end of clips
                Maya.D Level 1

Hi Hunt

Thanks for your response.  My problem is definitely generated when the clip is in the timeline.  I've just spent the last fifteen minutes cleaning up my latest movie of the dreaded "pop".  Happy with the result I went back to the begining of the film to insert chapters and low and behold new "pops" have appeared. Grrrrr!!!!  No idea why!

So I was considering looking into "Audio Cleaning Lab" but didn't understand what you meant by

"... then do a Render/Replace on the Audio portion of these Clips. That will generate a separate WAV file, that you can edit in Audio Cleaning Lab, and when you do a Save, the cleaned file will be back into your Timeline."

Could you explain the steps to me?

Thanks.

Maya

• 5. Re: Buzz at the end of clips
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Since the Video Clips that you Import into PE are muxed (both an Audio & Video stream in one file), PE is sort of breaking out the Audio Stream, but it is still part of the muxed Clip. If you wish to work with the Audio in the discrete "Clip" form, as on your Timeline, you can do Render/Replace, which will create a separate WAV file of that Clip's Audio, and will replace the muxed-Clip's Audio portion with this new WAV file. This will be on the Timeline, as the Audio portion of the muxed-Clip will still be in your Project Panel, and the WAV will be added to the Project Panel.

Now, if you have done your complete edit, and are ready to Burn to DVD, or Export to whatever delivery scheme, it would be easiest to just do an Export of your Audio only, as a WAV file. This will be one file, that contains the Audio that you have on the Timeline - all Audio Tracks. That one file, combining all of your edits, can then be brought into your Audio processing program, worked on and then Saved/Saved_As. This cleaned up Audio can be Imported into PE, and you would just Replace your existing Audio with it.

I'd probably leave the existing Audio in place, and in Audio Mixer, Mute all of the other Audio, except for this new Audio Track, which has everything that you Exported, plus the cleaning. This would save time and effort, if you made a change, as you'd still have the original Audio linked as before, though just Muted. You'd make your changes to it (the original) and then Export as WAV, clean up again, and replace only the previously cleaned Audio.

PE doesn't make it quite as easy as PrPro to By-pass, Mute, etc., Audio Tracks, which is why I mentioned the Audio Mixer. It's easy to use and will do pretty much everything that you could want with regards to the Audio.

Hope that this workflow makes sense.

Hunt