8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 2:36 PM by Ramón G Castañeda

Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?

Victor Burgin

I've been running Creative Suite 3 on a MacBook Pro. I just bought a Mac Pro so got my disks off the shelf to install on the new machine. That's when I found I have to deactive the programmes on the laptop in order to install them on the tower. (Which strikes me as outrageously restrictive. How many people work on a tower at home and a laptop for the road?)

Having gone throught the deactivation/activation process, I opened Photoshop to process some NEF files, and then remembered that my Camera Raw settings were somewhere on the laptop - but where ??? I assume there must be a file somewhere, but have not so far been able to find it.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
          John Joslin Level 6

Victor Burgin wrote:

I've been running Creative Suite 3 on a MacBook Pro. I just bought a Mac Pro so got my disks off the shelf to install on the new machine. That's when I found I have to deactive the programmes on the laptop in order to install them on the tower.

I don't know where you got that idea from. The EULA permits two installations per licensed copy but not to be used simultaneously.

What do you mean with "my Camera Raw settings"?

• 2. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
            Victor Burgin Level 1

Thanks for the prompt response. I got the "idea" simply by following 

the onscreen prompts to the Adobe site, where I entered my serial 

number and everything followed from that. I have been unable to open 

more than one copy at a time.

Could it be because I have a "student" version ?????

Thanks

• 3. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
              Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

Victor Burgin wrote:

I have been unable to open more than one copy at a time.

Read JJ's reply again:

You are NOT allowed to open more than one copy at a time.

• 4. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
                Victor Burgin Level 1

I expressed myself badly. To be clear (I hope):

I installed two copies - one on the laptop, one on the tower.

I was not allowed to activate one copy without having first deactivated the other.

That is to say... in order to open the newly installed Photoshop on my newly aquired Mac Pro I had to first deactivate the copy I've been using on my MacBook Pro for the past year or more.

The question of running two copies simultaneously does not therefore arise. The issue is one of activation. I am told I can activate two copies, but in fact I am able to activate only one.

• 5. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
                  John Joslin Level 6

Victor Burgin wrote:

The issue is one of activation. I am told I can activate two copies, but in fact I am able to activate only one.

In that case your activation record, rightly or wrongly, is showing you have already used two activations. The only recourse is to call adobe and get the counter reset.

(We are not adobe, we are users like you.)

• 6. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
                    Bill_Janes Level 2

Victor Burgin wrote:

I've been running Creative Suite 3 on a MacBook Pro. I just bought a Mac Pro so got my disks off the shelf to install on the new machine. That's when I found I have to deactive the programmes on the laptop in order to install them on the tower. (Which strikes me as outrageously restrictive. How many people work on a tower at home and a laptop for the road?)

Having gone throught the deactivation/activation process, I opened Photoshop to process some NEF files, and then remembered that my Camera Raw settings were somewhere on the laptop - but where ??? I assume there must be a file somewhere, but have not so far been able to find it.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Thanks

By "Camera Raw Settings file", I take it that you are looking for the develop settings for each raw file. These settings can be stored in two ways. The first and most common method is to store them as sidecar *.xmp files in the same directory as the NEFs. The other method is to store them in a centrally located Camera Raw database. One can change these methods via the Edit Preferences menu of either Photoshop or Camera Raw. Further information is here:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSD94FB319-761D-4e9a-BC8D-24DF7EBC05B4.html

The storage location for this central database as well as the storage locations for other settings are shown in this Adobe link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/405/kb405012.html

• 7. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
                      adriana ohlmeyer Adobe Employee

\\Users\<username>\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Camera Raw\Settings

• 8. Re: Where do I find the Camera Raw settings file?
                        Ramón G Castañeda Level 4

adriana ohlmeyer wrote:

\\Users\<username>\Library\Application Support\Adobe\Camera Raw\Settings

./Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Camera Raw/Settings

There.  fixed that for ya.    (Sorry, as a dyed-in-the-wool Mac user I freak out at backslashes.)

Preferences are at:  ./Users/[Username]/Library/Preferences