2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 6:51 AM by Mylenium

Illustrator CS file saving issues

hashbrauns

Since migrating to Vista from XP, my Illustrator CS will not allow me to save documents.  Every time I try to save, an error message comes up reading "This is a read only file or it is open in another program", which it is not.  I must use a save-as every time I save which creates many versions.  I also cannot delete these files (same error message).  Has this happened to anyone else?  Are there any fixes?

• 1. Re: Illustrator CS file saving issues
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Look up how to repair the permissions in Vista I believe it is doe with the property panel and check the directory in which the document resides you might fin d that the directory has been reset so that not every user has access.

• 2. Re: Illustrator CS file saving issues
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Turn off UAC and promote yourself to administrative priviliges or adjust your group policies accordingly. Legacy software is not aware of Vista's security stuff and will not correctly be able to request the respective file handling commands, hence existing files cannot be modified. To salvage you files already in place, log in as admin, select them, right-click --> Properties --> Security --> Advanced --> Take ownership. You should then be able to at least manipulate them as admin.

Mylenium