Thank you for the detailed feedback about the performance problems you have experienced and your thoughts about features you would like. Let me respond to each of your points
Performance: We are aware that Catalyst doesn't perform well with large complex files. We have made many performance improvements since the current plublic beta, so you should find Catalyst more responsive with larger projects when the next beta is posted.
Here are a few things you can do to work around the performance issues you are seeing with the current beta:
- Consider rasterizing complex elements that don't need to scaled in Catalyst
- In Catalst turn complex artwork into optimized graphics using the "Convert to optimized graphics" in the float HUD (heads up display panel)
We have also found that particularly on Windows that Catalyst can run out of memory with large files. This area is also being worked on so stay tuned for the next beta.
- Poor test display [tv] Do you mean the design display doesn't match the appearance of the published project?
- Poor match with Illustrator file (things seem to be rendered differently!) [tv] we have fixed a lot of bugs here. Expect this to improve a lot in the next beta
- No hand tool - [tv] coming soon :-)
- No ability to lock layers [tv] coming soon :-)
- Cluttered interface (Not enough space for the "stage"or what you call it) [tv] Yes, Catalyst currently cannot dock/undock panels
- No way to resize Illustrator elements from one of 9 edge/center points [tv] This is also a known limitation. I agree it is useful
I hope the next beta comes closer to meeting your expectations. A lot of performance work and new features has been done since the last public posting, so look forward to beta II.