1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 31, 2009 11:21 AM by Tvoliter

performance and usability problems with Illustrator imports

Koenekoen

I am usually an enthusiast advocate for Adobe Software. As a UI/Interaction designer I regularly showcase your products as a shining example.

That's why I am somewhat frustrated about the Flash Catalyst Beta. I trust you guys to come out with SOMETHING GREAT eventually, but I have just spend an entire day with Catalyst and it was not particularly a joy. Couldn't you have released it a bit later to save me the frustration?

Situation:

- Medium size Adobe Illustrator CS4 import (10 screens/stages with 20-100 Illustrator objects per screen)

- Target : 800x600 embedded UI for medical product

- Illustrator file chosen as starting point

Performance / reliability problems include

- Crashing (Vista Core2Duo with 2gig of Ram)

- Super poor performance (wait 8 seconds to hide/show a layer)

- No show of thumbnail images anywhere

- No matching of document size (exact 800x600 from Illustrator became 800x599)

- Playing the file did not work

Usability issues

- Poor test display

- Poor match with Illustrator file (things seem to be rendered differently!)

- Window selecting does not work well

- No hand tool

- No ability to lock layers

- Cluttered interface (Not enough space for the "stage"or what you call it)

- No way to resize Illustrator elements from one of 9 edge/center points

- etc. etc.

Building a wireframe version from the ground up (with Illustrator import) seemed to work fine

I played around with the MS Blend beta for a while, and while the basic concept of your product is much more clear, the execution of the MS product in the beta phase was lightyears ahead in terms of stability and usability

I'm sure you can do better!

Koen

• 1. Re: performance and usability problems with Illustrator imports
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Koen,

Thank you for the detailed feedback about the performance problems you have experienced and your thoughts about features you would like. Let me respond to each of your points

Performance: We are aware that Catalyst doesn't perform well with large complex files. We have made many performance improvements since the current plublic beta, so you should find Catalyst more responsive with larger projects when the next beta is posted.

Here are a few things you can do to work around the performance issues you are seeing with the current beta:

- Consider rasterizing complex elements that don't need to scaled in Catalyst

- In Catalst turn complex artwork into optimized graphics using the "Convert to optimized graphics" in the float HUD (heads up display panel)

We have also found that particularly on Windows that Catalyst can run out of memory with large files. This area is also being worked on so stay tuned for the next beta.

Features:

- Poor test display [tv] Do you mean the design display doesn't match the appearance of the published project?

- Poor match with Illustrator file (things seem to be rendered differently!) [tv] we have fixed a lot of bugs here. Expect this to improve a lot in the next beta

- No hand tool - [tv] coming soon :-)

- No ability to lock layers [tv] coming soon :-)

- Cluttered interface (Not enough space for the "stage"or what you call it) [tv] Yes, Catalyst currently cannot dock/undock panels

- No way to resize Illustrator elements from one of 9 edge/center points [tv] This is also a known limitation. I agree it is useful

I hope the next beta comes closer to meeting your expectations. A lot of performance work and new features has been done since the last public posting, so look forward to beta II.

- Ty