4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2011 11:26 AM by jkcraig2

Using aerender to add an effect and batch process multiple clips (?)

numenprod

Anyone know if it's possible to use aerender to add an effect (the same effect) to over 100 movies and do a batch render without having to setup 100+ comps and individually add them one by one to the Render Queue?  ffmpeg would usually do the trick but for some reason it's not able to process these particular movies.  It being so simple to do in Photoshop with Automated Actions, I would think it's possible to do the same basic process on movie files in AE, but finding resources on aerender is proving harder than I would've imagined.

Maybe javascript is the avenue I should be pursuing instead?

Thanks in advance.

_j

• 1. Re: Using aerender to add an effect and batch process multiple clips (?)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

aerender is just what it says - a render engine. It cannot apply anything. For it to render anything, the project would still have to exist. You can of course use scripts to create the project content. Assuming you saved your specific effect settings, the applyPreset() method would take care of that and other functions can create comps from footage and add stuff to the Render Queue. Check AEnhancers, nabscripts, Redefinery and similar sites. I'm sure you can find bits and pieces there to throw together your own script or even a prefab script suited to your purpose.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Using aerender to add an effect and batch process multiple clips (?)
            jkcraig2

Years later I ask a question...

Mylenium you said:

"Assuming you saved your specific effect settings, the applyPreset() method would take care of that"

Have you actually tried using applyPreset() within aerender?  Using CS4 I have had no luck. For me aerender will crash hard with "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."

We use aerender to post process our master renders as they finsh on the farm, adding overlays, LUTs, reslating shots.  Being able to apply settings from presets would help streamline our current workflow.

Thanks

-Jon

• 4. Re: Using aerender to add an effect and batch process multiple clips (?)
              jkcraig2 Level 1

Todd,

Thanks for the quick response. I have looked at the script you linked to and it appears to be a GUI for setting up the initial render conditions from the GUI (AfterFX.exe) including adding presets.  We actually have a similar front end functionality for our initial render.  However what I am looking for is verification that the applyPreset() command works (or doesn't) when launched from aerender.exe not AfterFX.exe. (CS4)

A little unnecessary background:

Why not just set it up in the GUI? It is all part of an automated workflow on our end where the various deliverables (Dailies color matched frame sequences and quicktimes with overlays for example) are struck form the original (log-c, p-log, s-log, red, etc) render.  This is done without user intervention on the render farm as the initial render finishes via hooks inserted into commandLineRenderer.jsx.  Currently via scripting we open a master template project, import our render into it, insert it into a prepared template comp and turn on various adjustment layers via rules read from a database that match the requirements of our various clients.  My goal is to reduce the technical complexity of setting up the template project by applying user provided animation presets dynamically via scripting