8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 9:36 PM by nevereasy

cross platform -caste not found

nevereasy

Developing on a PC with MX2004 and making a cross platform app that opens with an exe and osc outside a folder called dswmedia full of movies.

on the mac, for some reason, when I open my app (outside of dswmedia folder) it is looking for the external script linked to the first movie (inside dswmedia folder), and is asking for it using a pc path.

Of course the first stub movie does not have the external cast linked or embedded in it. But the .dsc has it linked and it is at the same level (inside the dswmedia folder)

I get an error message, looking for the caste and it displays back slashes.

Why is this so?

pleeeeeeeeese help me?

Carmel

• 1. Re: cross platform -caste not found
          nevereasy Level 1

I can't edit the previous message, I meant to say the .dcr file in the dswmedia folder.

• 2. Re: cross platform -caste not found
            Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

I'm confused about which movie is looking for your castLib. Is it the stub, or the movie the stub navigates to? If it's the stub (projector) then you shouldn't have linked the castLib to it. If it's the first movie, then try adding the following, in a #movie script, in your stub and publish it again:

on prepareMovie

_player.searchPathList.append("@/dswmedia/")

end

• 3. Re: cross platform -caste not found
              nevereasy Level 1

Hi Sean,

I have a stub movie that is outside of a folder called dswmedia. dswmedia contains very many movies that make up my program.

The first movie that the stub navigates to has an external cast that is also in dswmedia.

I have the cross platform function in a movie script in the internal caste of the stub movie. It looks like this:

on startmovie me
                global gPlatform, gDelimiter
                if the platform contains "Windows" then
                  gPlatform="win"
                  gDelimiter="\"
                else if the platform contains "Macintosh" then
                  gPlatform="mac"
                  gDelimiter=":"
                else
                  gPlatform="none"
                  gDelimiter="none"
                end if
                go to the frame
              end

In the first frame script I have the following:

on exitFrame me
                global gDelimiter
                myFolderName="dswmedia"
                myFileName="_Now_Read_This"
                myTempPath=myFolderName&gDelimiter&myFileName
                _movie.go(1,myTempPath)
                put myTempPath
              end

This works perfectly on the PC where I am authoring it.

I have the Mac linked to my PC and can simply drag the stub movie/Mac projector  (.osx.hqx) to a folder on the Mac. I use a folder on the desk top. In that folder I unpack the Mac projector (.osx.hqx) and it becomes a .osx file. In that same folder I have the folder called dswmedia that has all the movies in it. Very simply when I open the Mac projector it goes into the dswmedia folder and opens the specified movie. In the best results so far it has got as far as finding the movie, but not the linked script (which is in the same folder).

In my long lasting investigations, I have tried out different places on the computer ... made a new folder with a different name, put the stub movie and folder inside another folder .... funny thing is, when I move the two around, they behave differently.

The one constant error is the pc style backslash in the path.

I have noticed 3 different problems:

the first movie in dswmedia doesn't find its external script. (as mentioned)

the stub movie doesn't find the first movie in the folder at all

the path to the external script sometimes contains a folder name that I deleted about a week ago.

The 3rd error is most strange. I can't find any reference to that deleted folder anywhere, and why the address to the linked file should vary at all really disturbs me!!!!!!

I typed this much up a few hours ago and while I was trying to think about it, we had a blackout ....

I'll post this now ... so strange!!

thanks for any help

Carmel

• 4. Re: cross platform -caste not found
                Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

A couple of threads back I suggested you use the pathname operator "@/" and do away with all the platform/delimiter clutter. Did you ever try it; and if not, why not?

Remove the #startMovie handler (replace it with the #prepareMovie handler I suggested earlier that sets the searchPathList and add the following to the first frame (in place of what you posted):

on exitFrame me
                  _movie.go(1, "@/dswmedia/_Now_Read_This")
                end

• 5. Re: cross platform -caste not found
                  nevereasy Level 1

Hi Sean,

very rude of me not to reply to your suggestion, I am sorry. I did mentioned it in the long responce that I lost in the black out, but than forgot about it.

I'm so glad you mentioned it again, because I didn't even read it correctly, I didn't notice that you had the preparemovie handler. It didn't work, but I didn't do it properly. I will try it again now.

Carmel

• 6. Re: cross platform -caste not found
                    nevereasy Level 1

Hi Sean,

it works!!!! thank you so much!

This project has been 9 years in the making! and I have now been able to make a mac version.

I salute thee.

Carmel

For anyone looking for the whole solution:

on prepareMovie

_player.searchPathList.append("@/dswmedia/")

end

on exitFrame me
                      _movie.go(1, "@/dswmedia/_Now_Read_This")
                    end

• 7. Re: cross platform -caste not found
                      Chunick Level 3

nevereasy wrote:

Hi Sean,

it works!!!! thank you so much!

This project has been 9 years in the making! and I have now been able to make a mac version.

I salute thee.

Carmel

Congrats on completing it!

Is this a personal project or one for a client? Are you posting it online? I would be interested in checking it out, if for no other reason than out of curiosity since we don't have any description of your project or what it does - but anything developed in Director is always of interest here. :-)

Josh

• 8. Re: cross platform -caste not found
                        nevereasy Level 1

Hi Josh,

funny you should ask ..... I would love to tell you about our project.

In 2001, my husband was given a small book that his uncle, Geoffrey Falkenmire, had written in 1957. He was a primary school teacher at the time and used it in the class room to help his slow readers to learn to read. It even had drawings of a character in it that one of his young students had done back then. (It is a funny fat naked thing named Spingee.) Since then, the book had been re-published a few times and used by many institutions, private and public, to help illiterate people to read, for migrants to learn English, and also in an extensive home tutor scheme. It had really proved to be a simple and effective means to overcome illiteracy. Originally called NOW READ THIS and later called HIGHWAY TO LITERACY.

We'd had been fiddling with computers for many years, but mainly played with graphics and made web sites. My husband, Jon, decided that he would like to digitise this book. We discussed the project and thought that it could take a month, maybe 2!!!

At the school where I was teaching we were just getting into the International Computer Drivers Lisence. I worked out that had been made with Authorware. So we started there.

Jon designed every page in Photoshop and handed me the files, still in layers so I could cut them up and play with them in any way that I could. But we really didn't know where we were going, and Authorware, although brilliant in itself, required me to better organised. I decided Director allowed me much more freedom to experiment with the way I was going to present each page.

So that's where it started. Jon quite liked making the pages in Photoshop and over about 8 years divided the English Language into 567 separate topics!!!

The architecture of the project gradually grew, and was continually modified, but the beginning keeps strictly with the method/structure of learning in the original book. A series of buttons and pop-up tabs on the bottom edge of every page are the links between the movies in the program.

In the beginning I was just a little familiar with Director, but I bought some books. So I taught myself what I wanted to know. My sister had worked in a studio once where the boss used to say, whatever you can think of, you can do it in Director. So the way I designed each unit was to first work out how I wanted it to happen, and then look for solutions.

I live in a remote area of Australia, so I really relied on the books and the internet for my learning. I enrolled in a BIT (Bachelor of Information Technology), hoping to find an external unit using director, unfortunately, they had everything but that.

Dean at UNSW in Sydney agreed to help me but only after I centralised all my code. That was such good advice! Leaning on the fly, I had a very messy project.

Using lingo, I added a student tracking system so that a user could see where they had been.  When a user had looked at a page for more than 10 seconds the title of that page, the chapter it belonged to, how long they were looking at that page, and the date and time all recorded in a list. Obviously they also had to log on. When they went back to a page, the time they spent at it was added to the time already spent there.

There is also a page where they could see a list of all the pages they had spent time at, and a hot link in that list to go back to any one of those movies. Ideally, a supervisor could also log in and see the progress of all the students. Getting this to work on a secure network is still not solved.

Unfortunately this student tracking system has had to be wiped for the Mac version (for now) because I can't get it to work with the buddy web xtra because it doesn't work on a mac. If you search this forum, you might find a history of my trying to work around it.

The version that I am so thrilled about finishing now is v2. It is a literacy program (but no tracking). I can now give it to friends who have been wanting to use it. I will use my new mac and the new version of director that I bought online just 2 nights ago to try to solve the student tracking system and it will be version 3.

Last year we took a number of discs of v1 to Japan and China. Even though the program is designed for English speaking people who want to improve their literacy, it has proved helpful for ESL students. It starts with the pronunciation of the letters and how they sound, simple phonic sounds and simple words, and then of course into special sounds and the rest of it. It teaches English, but it doesn't translate. So ESL students still need help.

We're trying to make the program do everything, and be as convenient as possible to help people to learn to read, and improve their literacy (even grammar and poetry). There is a printable version of every one of the pages, using pdfs. I have even made sound recordings of some of it so that the audio can go onto a CD or an ipod (for a special Chinese friend who has no English, and can't yet pronounce the letters of the alphabet, and is not often able to sit at a computer)

We have a web site of course, www.nowreadthis.com.au, which has a forum that is relatively new so there is not much discussion yet. We really need this to get some feedback about the program. Any one reading this is very welcome to make a comment.

(Just a thought to tech people ... I'm very suspicious of the extremely consistent rate of people signing up for our discussion forum, and saying nothing. Just a very occasional spam. It is exactly  2 to 3 people every day. I have emailed them all and had no responce at all. I wonder if they are faked there by the forum template owners, to make me think I have chosen a good template. On the actual web site, I have had about 30 genuine people register in 2 years.)

I will be zipping v2 of NOW READ THIS and putting it on the web site to download, but it will be well over a gig. I might even do that this afternoon. Another plan is to break it into small sections, available for download ...

At the moment it is free. Obviously you can't sell something until there is a demand for it. We are looking for friends and relatives of illiterate people to help the learner to get started, but after that it can be a self managed learning system.

Thanks for the opportunity to tell you about our project, I hope it is of interest!

Carmel