11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 6:54 AM by the_wine_snob

dvd label help

BlueWaveEd

Fairly new to Premiere Elements 7. I have figured out how to make a label using Photoshop elements and print same. However I am a little unhappy with the result. The label I designed is great. My issue is that the template in Photoshop does not allow for changing hub size. I am printing directly to inkjet printable dvd's. The dvd's I got do not have printable material on the hub, so I end of with ink on the hub that will not dry in this century. Have been removing same with q-tips which is ok for htis project, but looking to the future and always accepting of a better idea,

What do you use for a template with Photoshop Elements 7?

Is there a free label program that works better? Preferably one that I can import the .pdf that I exported from Photoshop.

• 1. Re: dvd label help
          the_wine_snob Level 9

I use the Epson DVD software, but create my "background" images in PS. I have a "template" that I created to give me the outline, so when I am doing the design, I know about where things will go.

I Import these into the Epson software, which allows me to control both the hub and also the printable area on the outside edge.

The Epson does not allow for much text handling, so I'll often incorporate my text and graphic elements in PS. Often, 99% of my work is done in PS, and then the hub and printable diameter are set in the Epson software. While I could print out of PS, I like the mechanics of using the Epson program for my R-1900.

What software are you printing from? Most printers that will print to DVD/CD also come with software. I'd suggest using it for the final.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: dvd label help
            BlueWaveEd Level 1

Well I print from PS. I have an HP printer. There is a software package called photo essentials that comes with the printer. I have briefly looked at it in the past and do not think it will let me build a label in another program and import it in as a pdf. What I may have to do is to save it as a .jpg or some photo ext and then use that as the label in Photo Essentials. The HP software does let you choose the diameter of the hoel for printing the label. I am surprised that Adobe does not have that option.

Thanks for your help. If I find a better solution I will update this.

• 3. Re: dvd label help
              the_wine_snob Level 9

If the HP software will allow for the importation of an image as the "background," that is what I would go with. While I work in .PSD for everything in PS, I do a Save_As to JPEG, for this. The Epson software will handle a few image formats, but .PSD is not one of them. I just do a high-rez (low-compression) JPEG and it works fine. I keep the ppi at 200 and the Epson has no problems.

For layout purposes, I have a template that I made in PS. Basically, it has the outer diameter as a Path and a Stroked Layer. I have several other Paths, with their own Stroked Layer for the different hubs. I turn on/off visibility of these Layers, as I need them. Then, when done, I turn visibility OFF for all, Flatten (choose Disgard Hidden Layers) and Save_As for the JPEG to Epson software. I keep the .PSD's, in case I need to make any alterations, and just Save_As JPEG again, with the edits. I re-import to Epson and print.

As I only use Verbatim (for DVD-9 DL's) and Taiyo Yuden (for DVD-5's), I really only need two hub Paths, but have some left over from other brands of media.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: dvd label help
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                Is there a free label program that works better? Preferably one that I can import the .pdf that I exported from Photoshop.

Sorry that I had not addressed the issue of a PDF. There are some subtle differences in a pure Adobe Acrobat Pro PDF and a Photoshop PDF. The main one is that one can Export with editability in PS checked, but there are a few more, under the hood.

Some programs that have no issues with an Acrobat PDF (provided the version is compatible), will balk at Photoshop PDF's. It is a great format for sending to a commercial printer, and is replacing EPS as the standard. Still, some programs do not do a perfect job of reading the PS PDF's. For that reason, I would not use that format, however good it is for other things.

As stated elsewhere, I go with a high-rez JPEG (one of the few times that I ever use that format, except for Web work), and they import fine into most programs that can handle images. I still keep a copy of all working .PSD's, in case I have to edit.

Good luck, and sorry that it took so long to respond to your last question,

Hunt

• 5. Re: dvd label help
                  BlueWaveEd Level 1

Thanks for the help. I have decided to try the HP software for printing the labe as it lets me choose hub size. I will build the label in PS, but save as a .jpg anfd then import that into the Hp software. Let you know how it goes.

Thanks

• 6. Re: dvd label help
                    Ed.Macke Level 3

Just be forewarned... if the HP software is the same as I got with my HP 5160, it is very quirky!

Also, be sure to give your CD/DVD plenty of time to dry...

• 7. Re: dvd label help
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

if the HP software is the same as I got with my HP 5160, it is very quirky!

Ed,

Sorry to hear that. I've always liked most HP software, and have owned at least one of their printers since the LaserJet I came out. They were also a great client of mine throughtout the 1980's and I thought that they did a good job. Of course, we're now several decades down the road, so maybe much has changed.

I've never had one of their DVD/CD printers, because Epson had the US market locked up for quite some time.

Only real issue that I have with the Epson software is that the titile designer is horribly limited in what it can do. That's why I rely on several Adobe programs to get things ready for it. Between PS and AI, there's not much I can't do. If I had to only deal with the Epson designer, I'd have shot myself long ago.

Good luck to all,

Hunt

• 8. Re: dvd label help
                        Ed.Macke Level 3

Yeah, I've owned HP printers for as long as I can remember, too - sometimes inkjets, sometimes lasers, sometimes both. And they've always been great.

It only seems lately that their software is becoming noticeably odd.

Example: The drivers for my D5160 took a good 1/2 hour to install. That's 30 minutes!! For just the drivers!! Normally, drivers install in about 30 seconds because it's what - 6 files or whatever? I had the same problem with my prior HP color inkjet (forget the model number).

Example: To use a picture as a background for my DVD, I have to first go to a  "Pictures" tab and browse through my hard drive, and put my image in a "tray". Then I have to switch to my DVD project, and select an image from the tray. Don't like how the image works? Go back to Step 1. After you figure out the kinda-bizarre workflow (pick a picture, *then* decide what to do with it), it makes sense in a Rube-Goldberg-esque kind of way, but it took a lot of head-scratchin' to figure it out.

At the end of the day, everything works like advertised and it prints directly on CDs/DVDs (which is *so* cool, BTW), so that's good. Thank goodness I don't have to use it very often and have figured out its quirks enough to use it.

I finally just wrote down the steps in a notebook I keep for such purposes and now the process is fairly smooth.

• 9. Re: dvd label help
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I do agree about some of the drivers, and software installers having issues. Just replaced an All-in-One with the 7880 series. The software would not install, and neither would the drivers. Searched the HP KB and found that there was a major issue with XP-Pro's NetFramework. Had to remove all traces of it, install the HP stuff and then reinstall NetFramework. At this time, the XP version of NetFramework had only been out about 5 years! Also, an error message from the HP installer, pointing to this would have been nice. It took maybe 2 hours of reading every installation issue, before I hit upon this one.

Now, when the HP software asks if I want to update, my answer is "not on your life." I have yet to set up the wireless communication for that unit, as I fear similar issues. Some long weekend, I'll give it a go and see what parts of the OS I have to remove and reinstall, to get that to work.

They used to be better, but then so did many other company's software and hardware. That old LaserJet II lasted for almost 15 years and never missed a beat. The new replacement is still going, but it's only two years old and sees far less work, than the old guy. The original All-in-One lasted for 2 years total, and was a hassle from the first month. At least the replacement is working fine (except for the hassle noted above), but it's only been in operation for about a year.

One complaint that I did have with it, was that there were "XL" ink cartridges for it from HP. I ordered 2 sets of all. Well, it seems that only ONE XL cartridge can be inserted at a time. Nowhere in any of the manuals, or the KB articles does it mention THAT! I'm just using the XL Black cart., and will probably give away the color carts. Only about US$200 shot on that deal. Just let me know things like that in big, bold red print.

OK, enough of my grumbling...

Hunt

• 10. Re: dvd label help
                            BlueWaveEd Level 1

Here is what I did to solve my problem.

Reloaded the HP(5580) printer driver and this time loaded the PhotoEssential software. Saved my label template in Photoshop as a .jpg file. Had to load it into the PhotoEssential catalog. Set up the label in PhotoEssentail and had it use the .jpg I built in Photoshop. Printed it from PhotoEssentials. It has two options for the hole diameter, 1.77" and .98". Neither of which work fro my printable dvd's. However they let you adjust the size. On my printable dvd's 1.39 is the winner.

Hope this helps someone else. Biggest issue I have with PhotoEssentials for this is that it does to let you save the label setup, o rhte 1.39" setting so you have to build hte label every time. Pretty lame if you ask me.

Of course it would be only fitting and proper if Adobe would allow you to adjust the hole size in their template.

Thanks for the help getting me looking in the right direction.

Hunt - on my 5580, i can use "xl" cartridges and it will allow both the black and the color cartridge at the same time.

• 11. Re: dvd label help
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Hope this helps someone else. Biggest issue I have with PhotoEssentials for this is that it does to let you save the label setup, o rhte 1.39" setting so you have to build hte label every time. Pretty lame if you ask me.

I agree completely on this. Though rather rudimentary in the design/layout area, the Epson software will allow me to Save with all data, including the settings for printable area. HP could do this too, and they should.

Of course it would be only fitting and proper if Adobe would allow you to adjust the hole size in their template.

Thanks for the help getting me looking in the right direction.

Just to refresh my memory, this is a Template from PSE? Is it in .PSD format? If so, attach it to an e-mail to me: info AT huntphoto.com (replace "AT" with "@" and remove any spaces), and I'll see if I can change the inner diameter for you. I assume that you are looking for 1.39" for that hub diameter. If there are not any special considerations (have never worked with a PSE Template, but spend most of my life with other .PSD's), I'll ship it back to you and tell you what I did to change it. Also, in the Subject of the e-mail, please put "Adobe PS Template," so my mail washing software does not trash it.

Hunt - on my 5580, i can use "xl" cartridges and it will allow both the black and the color cartridge at the same time.

In my All-in-One, I have four cartridges and the area will only take one XL at a time. I've contacted HP, but have never heard from them. When I have time, I'll go hang on their fora, and see if I can sort this out. Maybe something that I have to remove to all for all cartridges to be XL.

Good luck,

Hunt