10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 8:02 AM by Mylenium

SO from PS and memory

JW34 Level 1

I run into this a lot. I choose to edit a Smart Object from Photoshop back to Illustrator and immediately get an out of memory box in Illustrator. This happens whether I have hardly any other apps open or not. Usually if I go back to Photoshop and choose edit again after one or two tries the SO will appear in Illustrator. I have 14 gigs of memory so I wouldn't think memory would be an issue. Is this a known bug?

*Oh and my global answer to all Adobe forums now is that Im sorry if I missed this question by searching, but the search function in these new forums is absolutely terrible.*

• 1. Re: SO from PS and memory
          Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

It might be that your start up disk is full or lacks the resources to do what you want.

• 2. Re: SO from PS and memory
            JW34 Level 1

Startup disc has plenty of room. What do you mean "lacks resources"?

• 3. Re: SO from PS and memory
              Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

What do you call plenty of room and i your startup disk your scratch 

disk is it heavily fragmented?

That is sort of what I mean by resources is your RAM and scratch disk 

accessible?

• 4. Re: SO from PS and memory
                JW34 Level 1

Startup has 22 gigs of space. My scratch is on a separate 300 gig volume. I just ran Disk Warrior on it the other day. I have Cocktail set to run every day.

I just went to edit an SO and got the out of memory dialog when I tried to open it in AI (edit contents). I went back to PS, chose edit again and it opened fine.

• 5. Re: SO from PS and memory
                  Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Did you use Cocktail to remove the ache files including the font cache 

files?

If that does not work I would suggest an archival reinstall of your 

system.

22GB of space is not really a great deal though it should be adequate.

The start up disk is usually the one you get with your computer which 

is usually the cheapest one the Manufacturer can find os a more modern 

one with say 32MB of Cache instead of 16 or 8 MB cache might be better

but I do not really know what you have installed.

Those are my thoughts other than to trash the settings folder.

• 6. Re: SO from PS and memory
                    Skullmaker Level 3

Are you using Ai CS4?

• 7. Re: SO from PS and memory
                      JW34 Level 1

Yes on CS4.

And my startup disk is a Raptor drive.

• 8. Re: SO from PS and memory
                        Skullmaker Level 3

I asked because I think is the Critical Memory Bug that comes with CS4.

The bad news is that the Ai team have not provided any updates for almost 3 years. So I do not think you going to get any real result. Your computer is great, but the software is lousy.

If you have Illustrator CS2 (old version) you can run it and see the difference. So do not worry about your equipment, hope that I am wrong and Adobe actually provides an update for you.

Good Luck!

• 9. Re: SO from PS and memory
                          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

JW34 wrote:

I have 14 gigs of memory so I wouldn't think memory would be an issue. Is this a known bug?

PS and AI are 32bit apps, so they don't *******' care, if you forgive me using some vernicular. Specific to your issue, I would check the speed of your drive and possible permission issues. The whole SO workflow is based on temporary files and each editing of the SO creates a new temp file, possibly filling up your temp directory (Users:You:Library:... etc.) and also in the long run fragmenting that section of the drive quite a bit. This could cause delays just enough to result in such failures....

Mylenium

• 10. Re: SO from PS and memory
                            JW34 Level 1

A Raptor drive is 10k in speed so I don't think it's that. Permissions are fixed every day with Cocktail.

I was just working on a job where once again the first instance of editing told me there wasn't enough memory but the 2nd try opened it fine.

But your answer brings up two questions:

-do these temp SO files get flushed at any point?

-there's been a huge discussion/disagreement since OSX was release about defragmenting drives (as opposed to Disk Warrior defragmenting the directories) and whether it was even needed. I wonder how many people are defragmenting and what is being used?