10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 6:26 PM by Dmitri Rodriguez

RAM previewing issue

Dmitri Rodriguez

Hi,

I'm working in After Effects CS4, and I'm having a problem when I try to RAM preview short sections of an animation project. The RAM preview keeps stopping before it reaches the end of the work area, and beginning again. I'm pretty new to the program, but I've also noticed the little green bars that, I believe, tell you if the section has rendered/processed always have little gaps in them. That may be related. I don't know.

Does anyone know what may be causing this RAM previewing issue?

On a side note, I'm using After Effects on a Macbook (not a Macbook Pro), and I'm wondering whether this problem may be due to the Macbook not being sufficient for After Effects and CS4 in general. (I had originally intended to install the program on my 2004-era G5 tower, but it wouldn't install After Effects CS4 because apparently the program won't work with PowerPC processors, only Intel ones. At least that's what I was told.) Anyway, I've wondered whether the RAM previewing issue may be due to the Macbook not being enough computer for After Effects/CS4. My Macbook has a 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 and 106 GB of available space.

Any insights on the RAM previewing issue and whether my Macbook isn't a suitable computer for these programs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Neil

• 1. Re: RAM previewing issue
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Please do a search on this forum (or others for that matter). Short version: RAM previews will only play what fits into RAM, hnece you will almost never be able to preview an entire comp at once, not even on systems with much more memory than yours. for the rest see this FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/424030?tstart=0

Mylenium

• 2. Re: RAM previewing issue
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

"FAQ: Why does RAM preview only play part of my composition?"

[edit: I see that Mylenium types faster than I do.]

• 3. Re: RAM previewing issue
              Dmitri Rodriguez Level 1

Thanks very much to Mylenium and Todd. My RAM previews started to play when I reduced the Resolution/Down Sample factor from Full to Half, which was one of the solutions those links suggested.

Let me know if you guys, or anyone else, has any insights on my second question, which was whether I'm going to have problems running After Effects and the other CS4 programs on my Macbook and have to invest in a new computer. But thanks very much either way for your quick and helpful answers.

• 4. Re: RAM previewing issue

From the theoretical specs there is nothing that speaks against your notebook. Apparently the biggest hurdle for some users is to get it to run in the first place, but now that it runs, it's safe to say that you will be able to use it properly. Of course, to let truth have its way, you will become slightly peeved at a point and get that yearning for a new machine, when you use more functions and your projects become more complex. Especially the only 2GB RAM will then often become a show stopper and you will really hate Adobe when one of those dreaded "Could not creat X x Y buffer" or similar out of memory warnings pop up. Still, no need to rush. Take your time and see, if AE is even everything you thought it would be and then make clear, structured plans for getting a new computer. You wouldn't wanna spend another 2000 bucks on a spiffy machine just to run AE once a month.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: RAM previewing issue
                  Dmitri Rodriguez Level 1

Thanks so much, Mylenium. That's great advice. Can I ask you one brief follow-up and then I'll leave you alone? I didn't give you one piece of information that might change your answer. I'm already pretty confident I'm going to be a regular After Effects user. I'm in the process of creating a 7-8 minute animated short in After Effects, that's going to obviously require a lot of rendering, etc., and for which I'm creating tons of Illustrator artwork that I'm animating in After Effects. I'm concerned that this project alone is going to rapidly become too onerous for my machine, and I also have another, similar project in the hopper. (I'm a film student who's increasingly interested in animation.) That being said, do you think the 2 GB RAM, etc., is going to rapidly become a problem, and that combined with my seriousness about After Effects compels me to invest in another machine?

I'll shut up now. Thanks a ton for your expertise.

• 6. Re: RAM previewing issue

Yes, if you're serious and already know what projects are coming, definitely make plans to get new hardware soon-ish. Especially Illustrator files have a way of eating lots of RAM, as naturally, when you animate them, you will often use the continuous rasterize option to retain sharpness. The same would apply to SWF files or AE's own ways of using this feature e.g. for passing through blending modes from sub-comps or retaining 3D properties. And even without that - blurs, glows, DOF etc. can considerably dilate the pixel buffer required for processing, even if only part of the layer is visible, so things can only get better with more RAM and once OSX 10.6 and AE CS5 are full 64bit, this will become even better as then they will be able to break the 3GB ceiling of 32bit apps currently imposed on OSX.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: RAM previewing issue
                      Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
                      so things can only get better with more RAM and once OSX 10.6 and AE CS5 are full 64bit,

If, for now

Nothing has been announced in this regard.

• 8. Re: RAM previewing issue

Yes of course. But my mom could predict it just by looking in the laundry machine and getting hypnotized by the tumbling clothes. And she knows very little about computers, least of all Macs, so let's assume it will come based on instinct and her delirious visions...

Mylenium

• 9. Re: RAM previewing issue
                          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

10.5 is already 64-bit. No need for Apple to announce anything in this regard.

I totally identify with your grandmother. I can spend hours watching revolving objects. It is hypnpotizing.

• 10. Re: RAM previewing issue
                            Dmitri Rodriguez Level 1

Much appreciated, Mylenium. I'm gonna weigh everything you said and think hard before rushing into a big purchase.

Thanks a lot for taking the time.