2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2009 12:49 PM by Donnie_H_Gardner

Font Substitution Problems

Donnie_H_Gardner

On a daily basis I work with our engineering department with pdf files they create in Autodesk Inventor using PrimoPDF software. I use Acrobat Pro to fix their minor typos but need to sometimes open the pages in Illustrator. This has never generated good results. Illustrator reinterprets the text and changes it to single character boxes with no character retention what so ever. What would be great is that Illustrator allow my system to substitute fonts BEFORE reinterpretation. Is this a viable option to consider in future releases? Are OTF typefaces an alternative for both windows (engineering) and mac (web world).

• 1. Re: Font Substitution Problems
          Skullmaker Level 3

Hello Donnie,

One great thing about PDF is that the fonts are embedded in the file. But Illustrator needs to have the fonts in your computer to avoid any substitutions.

I think the company can buy the fonts that the engineering teams are using and save them in your computer. Also please not that the general license of a font allows you to install the same font in 5 different computers sharing the same physical address.

Since PDF are created by different softwares, this can produce unexpected results. In your case you may want to copy the text from the PDF file and paste it into the Illustrator file.

I hope this helps!

• 2. Re: Font Substitution Problems
            Donnie_H_Gardner Level 1

Thanks Skullmaker,

About otf, it's the same file on windows and mac, correct. Half my

engineering team is in the UK. But, we all use Inventor by Autodesk for cad

stuff.  On a typical day I may have to go through 10 -20 dimensioned

drawings. Copying text to Illy would be a nitemare!!

Regards

Donnie

Reply-To: <clearspace-314242174-436138-2-2123054@mail.forums.adobe.com>

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:36:51 -0600

To: Donnie Gardner <donnie@macpanel.com>

Subject: Font Substitution Problems

Hello Donnie,

One great thing about PDF is that the fonts are embedded in the file. But

Illustrator needs to have the fonts in your computer to avoid any

substitutions.

I think the company can buy the fonts that the engineering teams are using and

save them in your computer. Also please not that the general license of a font

allows you to install the same font in 5 different computers sharing the same

physical address.

Since PDF are created by different softwares, this can produce unexpected

results. In your case you may want to copy the text from the PDF file and

paste it into the Illustrator file.

I hope this helps

>