4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2009 10:43 PM by Lost In My Mind

Effect Transparency

Lost In My Mind Level 1

Ok, this should be a simple one to make up for my last post. When I add an effect (bubbles, foam, particle playground, etc.) to my video clip, the clip is no longer visible due to the overlaying effect. I tried adding the effect to an adjustment layer, changing the blending mode, etc. so that I can see the underlying clip, but still looks like night time to me! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Effect Transparency
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Clips that generate a proper Alpha only need to be applied to a solid. No need for extra blendmodes or using adjustments. Also note, that many effects provide a Composite on original checkbox or a Blend with original slider that can be used to make effects appear directly on the video footage layer. If for some reason an effect does not generate Alpha, you can often get it to work by genrating an Alpha from other pixel info such as brightness or a color component channel by using effects such as Shift Channels or the freely downloadable Knoll Unmult plug-in.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Effect Transparency
            Lost In My Mind Level 1

Thank you again Mylenium for your help. Just to be clear, I enclosed a screen shot of what I am refering to. I take a video clip (.m2t) and add an effect such as 'foam'. I would like to see the 'foam' while still being able to see the underlying video clip, but as you can see there is nothing but 'foam' and black. And yes, I'm aware that I can change the way transparency is displayed in the viewer, but non the less, I can't see the clip below. Thank you in advance.

• 3. Re: Effect Transparency
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Yes, Foam unfortunately is one of those effects that cannot be applied directly. Just create a new solid (Layer --> New --> Solid) and apply the effect to it, then put your original footage below it. You can always reference it as an environment map or texture in the Rendering section of the effect to get correct reflections and use parts of the image as the bubble color.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Effect Transparency
                Lost In My Mind Level 1

Could have used that answer about 3 hours ago!   I just figured that out myself, but don't quite understand the mechanics of it. I tried it first by duplicating the layer and that worked, but I was concerned about the final render size, so I then tried a solid layer as you suggested and that worked as well. I then tried a blank text layer, again it worked. Finally, I tried an adjustment layer thinking that would be the hot setup, but no go (why?). So, I guess I can make it work, but I just don't fully understand why???? Again, not very user friendly or intuitive. Thank you once more for the help Mylenium.