16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 8:50 AM by Tech 62

MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4

Jeanmatu Level 1

Greetings Everyone,   I have a Sony DCR-IP220 camcorder that has a micro DV format.. I am using PremPro CS4.  In the capture setup, there is no listing for my Sony DCR-IP 220 (microDV) and all attempts to get the camera recognized by the program do not work. So, my question is ...does PremPro CS$ recognize this camera  and it's miniDV format for capture purposes. Thanks for any input! Jean Matusik

• 1. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Looks like your camera records up to 1080 in MPEG-1 format onto a MemoryStick (or similar). You should be able to copy the files over to the computer. Then, I'd try to Import into an appropriately setup Project. The MPEG-1 will not be the best format to edit, but it should be seen and handled by PrPro. Only your eyes can tell if the quality is good enough.

Watch for some Audio issues, like OOS, as MPEG Audio is tough to work with.

Good luck, and maybe someone knows that camera can can give you specific recs. for working with its footage.

Hunt

• 2. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
            Harm Millaard Level 7

I suggest you read the camera manual on how to capture over firewire. If it says it has no firewire, forget it. You don't expect me to do your homework, do you?

• 3. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
              Jeanmatu Level 1

Thanks to the Wine Snob and Harm Millard,  maybe I need to explain a little more. The Sony DCR-IP220 micromv camera  has really small tapes, about the 1/2 the size of regular miniDV tapes and is a camera that was purchased in 2002. It downloads via a firewire. I have the camera connected as per the camera manuals instructions. In PremPro CS4 capture says it is offline and any attempts to change the settings don't yield any "onlline" results! I see that I made an error in the question title...it should be MicroMV.   Jean Maatusik

• 4. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Jean,

The question is really what codec is used in the camera. Only the manual will tell you that, probably under specs.

If it is DV AVI type2, then the next question is what kind of firewire connector do you have in the PC with what chip. Does Windows recognize the camera when it is connected and then turned on? What other firewire devices do you have connected? What OS are you using, etc.

Look at the link below by clicking on it and follow the links in that message by clicking on them.

Some suggestions

• 5. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                  Jeanmatu Level 1

Greetings, I made an error in the title...it should be MicroMV. These tapes

are about 1/2 the size of MicroDV tapes. It is an lder camcorder that takes

SD (4/3). I am guessing the the program can't recognize the camera. Thanks

for your input  Jean Matusik

• 6. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                    Jeanmatu Level 1

Greetings, the title should read MicroMV, not MicroDV...sorry. It is an

older camcorder using SD format and I am guessing that the PP program does

not recognize it. When I connect the camera via firewire(I can control the

camera manually from the camera), but PP says it is offline.  The  Sony

cameras list in PP does not have this model and standard, alternate one and

alternate two do not recognize it either, so the bottomline is I can not get

it "online".  Thanks for your input Jean Matusik

• 7. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Jean,

Maybe I got something wrong with your camera's model number. On the specs. Web site, and in two reviews, that I read, no mention was made of any tapes. Sorry.

Did the camera happen to come with any software? If it has a FW connection, I would guess that either it has some capture software, or maybe you can use Windows Movie Maker to Capture. Those would be my first two tests.

Now, when you plug the camera into the computer via FW and turn it on, do you get that "bing-bong" sound to indicate that a new device has been plugged in? If not, maybe go to Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Control and see if Windows even sees the connection. It could be possible that you will need to install drivers for the camera (should get an error message to that effect), or that one, or more, FW components is bad, i.e. connections, chip or cable.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                        Jeanmatu Level 1

OK, problem solved...even though I don't like the solution!   Sony does not have drivers for their DCR-IP220 camera for Windows Vista HE (16bit), consequently the OS doesn't recognize the camera.  The camera uses MPEG2, but that doesn't matter, as I can't get there from here. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  Jean

• 9. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          Windows Vista HE (16bit),

I assume that you mean "64-bit," here.

Did Sony indicate any plans on getting drivers done?

You might have to set up a 32-bit OS on another computer and use it to Capture.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                            Jeanmatu Level 1

Hi Hunt, (the wine snob)...I like that handle!

Ok, here is what I  found out.  The only drivers Sony has for the DCR-IP220 camcorder is in their moviemaker software and that software will not run on any Vista system.  I have a 32 bit Vista OS, by the way. Sony does not plan to upgrade, I guess Sony considers the camera obsolete. I contacted Sony technical support by email and they told me that they do not offer drivers for Vista OS for this camera. So I guess, I can't get their from here!  But, I do have an alternative.  I have an old computer that is just limping along using Windows XP; and loaded on that one, is AVID Liquid 7.1  That program  will acept the micromv format.  I could download all my micromv tapes to 7.1, do a rough edit, then write it to a miniDV tapes.  I have a Canon miniDV camera.  Followed by subsequent download to PremPro. on the Vista computer. I would like to do some AfterEffects on the footage.  I am not fond of the idea of loading two NLE programs(Prem Pro) on the old windows XP computer, my feeling is, that there would be conflicts.  Lastly, maybe I should just make a short movie (like the United Airlines lost baggage guy did) about this situation and post it on YouTube!  Perhaps, that would get Sony"s attention. Thanks for your suggestions  Jean

• 11. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Though none is Pinnacle/Avid, I have PrPro, plus Magix Movie Edit Pro and CyberLink Power Director on my workstation with zero conflicts. I have PrPro and PE installed on my laptop, with zero conflicts. None of these is Avid Liquid, but one can have some NLE's on the same computer.

Your method sounds like a good one. Rather than output to miniDV, can you just Export from Liquid as a DV-AVI Type II. With a couple of CAT-6 cables and a gigabit switch/hub (might need a couple of cheap gigabit cards, or maybe not), you could do a P2P LAN and just copy the files over, rather than having to re-Capture from the miniDV tape. Just trying to save you some work, and possibly time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                                Jeanmatu Level 1

Greetings again Hunt,

I just thought of another solution and will I have to check it out.  I think I can go from camera to camera via the TV. If so, then I can write the micromv tape footage to the miniDv camera's tape. Maybe, I can even go from camera to camera, don't know yet!  Then, I should be able to download direct to PremPro.  Thanks for all your help and suggestions.  Jean

• 13. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

The MicroMV format does not use the highly popular DV format. Instead, it uses 12 Mb/s MPEG-2 compression, like that used for DVDs and HDV. Footage recorded on MicroMV format initially could not be directly edited with mainstream DV editing software such as Adobe Premiere or Apple Final Cut Pro; instead Sony supplied its own video editing software - MovieShaker (for Windows PCs only). Later versions of Ulead Video Studio and several freeware applications however could capture and edit from Sony MicroMV Camcorders.  It may be best to try and use one of them.

• 14. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                                    Jeanmatu Level 1

Hi Jim,  Thanks for the information.  I have the MovieShaker software, but that software editing program is really primitive!   Previously, I successfully captured micromv footage to my Avid Liquid 7.1 on an old Windows XP computer. My Premiere Pro NLE prgram is currently loaded on a Windows Vista computer.   Tomorrow I am going to see if I can do a camera to camera transfer from a micromv to a miniDV, then capture that in PP.  Thanks for your input.  Jean

• 15. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

camera to camera transfer...to a miniDV, then capture that in PP.

Always a good option.  This way one can recapture if the need ever arises.

• 16. Re: MicroDV Format compatiblity with PremPro CS4
                                        Tech 62

Haven't tried it with Vista, but Main Concept has a plug-in (MPEG Pro HD, version 2.0) that allowed me to import MicroMV into PremierPro 1.5.