6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 8:22 AM by the_wine_snob

Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc

Johnny Sac

Hey everyone

I just bought CS4 Premiere Pro and I really want to set it up correctly.

I am editing 1080p AVCHD video from my Canon HG21 HD Camera, but I need to find out how to properly set up scratch disks etc.

I guess you have the program running on one hard drive, the media that you are editing on another, and a scratch disk on another hard drive?

I don't totally understand how to set this up.

My current rig is an i7 920, 6gb 1600 mhz ram, 4870x2, 3 WD HDD's. The HDD the program is installed on is a 7200 rpm drive but I think the others are 5400? I'll have to check that out.

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Check in device manager under 'Disk drives' what type of disks you have and check whether the models you have are 5400 or 7200 RPM types.

If they are 5400 types, better get some 7200 types to add to your system. I would setup the three disks as follows:

1. OS & programs

2. Media

3. Project & scratch.

• 2. Re: Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc
            Johnny Sac Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks for your reply! I just checked and all three of them are 7,200 RPM drives, I will set my projects and scratch disks as you advised.

Also just a quick question, I am using the following preset on Premiere Pro CS4 with my Canon HG21 Camera, but how will I know for sure that it's the correct preset to use with the footage that I will be using from the camera? Sorry it's a pretty amateurish question but I am really starting from the ground up and would like to get things right from the start:

AVCHD>1080p: AVCHD 1080p25

For editing AVCHD Formats recorded in 1920x1080 square pixels (non-anamorphic).
            16:9 progressive-scan 1080p HD video at 25 frames per second.
            48kHz audio.

General
            Editing mode: AVCHD 1080p square pixel
            Timebase: 25.00fps

Video Settings
            Frame size: 1920h 1080v (1.0000)
            Frame rate: 25.00 frames/second
            Pixel Aspect Ratio: Square Pixels (1.0)
            Fields: No Fields (Progressive Scan)

Audio Settings
            Sample rate: 48000 samples/second

Default Sequence
            Total video tracks: 3
            Master track type: Stereo
            Mono tracks: 0
            Stereo tracks: 3
            5.1 tracks: 0
            Submix mono tracks: 0
            Submix stereo tracks: 0
            Submix 5.1 tracks: 0

Thanks again for your help.

Regards.

• 3. Re: Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc
              Harm Millaard Level 7

This sounds correct. However, you realize that you can't burn to BR in 1920 x 1080 /25P, because it is not a supported format. For BR you can only use 50i. Given that limitation, maybe you are better off with a 50i preset, which will not deteriorate your image. I suggest you try it and see if the results on BR are acceptable for you.

• 4. Re: Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc
                Johnny Sac Level 1

Hello Harm,

No I didn't know that, so I can't burn any of my movies to blu-ray? I don't really have a need for that at the moment but I may sometime in the future.

So you are saying that 50i and 1920x1080 at 25P are the same? I thought 50i was worse?

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

50i is different than 25p. Some say 25p gives you a filmish look, meaning a more stuttery look. In some cases that may be an advantage, but for fast moving subjects like sport events, 50i is better.

Hopefully the standards committee wil see the limited choices of the BR specs now and will agree to add 25P to the specs in the future, when they realize there are also PAL users in the world, not only NTSC. In their initial stance they have taken a very limited view of the world.

Since you have recorded 25P, meaning 25 frames per second, when you turn that into 50i it will mean that effectively the first and second field are the same (apart from the fact that one field will be upper and the other field lower field first), the same applies to the 3-rd and 4-th fields that represent the 2-nd frame, etc. There will not be much difference with static or slow moving objects between 25p and the converted 50i, but that is not the case with fast moving objects. In that case converting from 25p to 50i with enhance the stuttering.

The best way to see what you like best is to make two test shots, one slow moving and one fast moving. Do it once in 25p and once in 50i. Then burn the result on BD-RE and judge for yourself what suites your shooting style best with your usual topics.

• 6. Re: Please help me setup CS4 scratch disks etc
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Johnny,

Here's a nice little chart from the Encore FAQ on BD formats, thanks to Jeff Bellune.

Good luck, and it seems that Harm has you pointed in the right direction.

Hunt