15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 9:24 AM by AdonaiEchad

New Sequence Issues

AdonaiEchad Level 1

Hello everyone.  I am new to the Premiere Pro CS4 platform.  I have video footage that on the size of 1280x720 in 29.97 frames per second.  When I went to my New Sequence dialog box there is no settings for this resolution.  So I selected one of the pre-selectors and then went to the general tab and created my own.  Here is what I have under the following...

Picture 1.png

Once I have entered into the Priemere Pro program and I work on my video footage and exit out then go back in at a later time I receive the next following error message.  See blow.

Picture 2.png

I really do not know what to do.  Here is also the video information that I am using, see bellow.

Picture 3.png

Thank you all for your help, much appreciated.

• 1. Re: New Sequence Issues
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere works well with camera media, less well for editing TV recordings.  Try a consumer editor.

• 2. Re: New Sequence Issues
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Based on the little bit of information we have about your media, I suspect incorrect settings:

SETTINGYOU HAVESHOULD BE
            Timebase30.00 frames/second29.97 frames/second
            Pixel Aspect RatioDVCPRO HD (1.5)Square Pixels
            FieldsUpper Field FirstProgressive

Start there.

• 3. Re: New Sequence Issues
              AdonaiEchad Level 1

Thank you Colin for your reply, I am still getting the same error under your specifications.  The original video footage is 1920x1080i from a Sony DV recorder Deck.  I reduced it to the 1280x720.

• 4. Re: New Sequence Issues
                Colin Brougham Level 6

The original video footage is 1920x1080i from a Sony DV recorder Deck.  I reduced it to the 1280x720.

Well, there's no such animal as 1920x1080i HDV (you wrote "DV" but I'm going to assume you meant "HDV"). Why are you "reducing" it, and how are you reducing it? It would seem to me that perhaps you're going through some unnecessary steps, but without some more detail about your source footage, your process, and your intended use and destination, we're sort of grasping at straws. Fill in the blanks, and we'll figure something out.

• 5. Re: New Sequence Issues
                  AdonaiEchad Level 1

Yes Colin I did meant HDV.

I capture the video footage from the HDV Sony Deck through a firewire 400 to my MacBook Pro.  I used iMovie to capture the video footage.  iMovie captured the video footage in 1920x1080 in a .mov file.  I tried capturing the video footage using Adobe OnLocation which is a .mt2 (I believe this is the file format) which I do not know how to incorporate it to my Adobe Premiere.  When I tested the OnLocation it gave me the same measurements of 1920x1080.  Even the Adobe Premiere would not recognize the Sony HDV deck.  It leads me to using the iMovie.

The reason for me to reduce the size of 1920x1080 to 1080x720 was I was told that the 1920x1080 was for blue-ray only.  This is my reason for reducing the video footage to 1080x720 like me; many people do not have a HDTV.  When I worked on the video footage on the 1080x720 everything went well until I excited out of Premiere.  When I went back to my footage I received that very error that I posted above.

Even when I had gone to the New Sequence in Premiere Pro under the tab Sequence Precepts there was no default setting for 1920x1080.  I believe there is one for 1280x1080 for HD.

I am new to broadcasting and video production please; forgive me if I am a bit slow.  I work at a non-profit organization.

• 6. Re: New Sequence Issues
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

HDV is HDV and has 1440 x 1080 resolution with a PAR of 1.33.

Choose a HDV preset where the framerate matches the framerate you shot in. Don't downscale because to the TV, let the TV or BR player handle that for you.

• 7. Re: New Sequence Issues
                      AdonaiEchad Level 1

Thank you for your post Harm.  When you mean my HDV presets you mean change from the Sony HDV deck or is this the preset of the capturing device.  Sorry to sound to silly but what do you mean "with a PAR".

At this moment it is iMovie that is capturing the video footage, I would like to use the OnLocation but it records in a different format which I believe I stated in my several posts back.

• 8. Re: New Sequence Issues
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I am assuming you are using NTSC. If so, select a sequence setting like this:

22-07-2009 01-25-31.png

As you can see from these settings, the resolution is 1440 x 1080 and the PAR (pixel aspect ratio) is 1.333

When on export you encode to BR with square pixels, it will result in 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Your Sony deck is great, but it is HDV, which means you have to adhere to the HDV standard when capturing. What I do not understand is why you would use iMovie for capturing and not PR.

• 9. Re: New Sequence Issues
                          AdonaiEchad Level 1

When I am in the New Sequence dialogue box I do not have the available presets as you do, this is my list.  How is it that I am missing so many available presets on mine.

Picture 1.png

I do not have any HDV.  How do I get these custom made presets.

I do not want to record in iMovie but rather in Premiere Pro.  How ever when I select to capture in Premiere Pro, Premiere only selects my camera on the laptop, it does not detect the Sony HDV deck that is connected to it through firewire 400.  Some how Premiere Pro will not detect the connection.  I am just wondering what am I doing wrong.

• 10. Re: New Sequence Issues
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you recently update to 4.1? Have you used in the past the trial version?

A number of people have seen that updating to 4.1 has reverted their full version to trial status. Most of the time this was caused by having used a trial version earlier, or by a faulty installation to start with. The only workable solution is cumbersome and timeconsuming: Uninstall, run the Clean Script utility 2 or 3 times, reinstall and update again.

Look here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406241.html

• 11. Re: New Sequence Issues
                              AdonaiEchad Level 1

What end up happening was that I had Adobe Illustrator CS2 that was upgraded to the Adobe Master Collection CS4.  When I installed it, it asked me for the license key as well for the license key of the Adobe Illustrator CS2 to continue on the installation.  During the installation prompt it would not accept it.  So I had called Adobe and it had to be installed as a trial and then a certain key combination where I enter my registration key they had to give me a special code to override the usual settings.  This is all through the mac.  From there I made sure I have all updates in place.  Currently the PR is at 4.1.0.

• 12. Re: New Sequence Issues
                                AdonaiEchad Level 1

It works now Harm.  I had to uninstall it and re-install.  Everything works perfectly now.  Thank you.

• 13. Re: New Sequence Issues
                                  AdonaiEchad Level 1

Haram, I am running into another issue.  In Premiere Pro I want to export the video, however I am running into where it is choppy.  As the setting you had asked me to use works fine.

Picture 1.png

When I want to export this is what I have...

Picture 3.png

What settings do I need to set up in order for my video to be not choppy.  I need to make a video clip like a .mp4 or .mov file.

Picture 2.png

Thank you.

• 14. Re: New Sequence Issues
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

From the looks of it, you are converting NTSC to PAL (29.97 to 25 FPS). Why?

• 15. Re: New Sequence Issues
                                      AdonaiEchad Level 1

I am sorry, when I was doing a screen capture the selection ended up on that.  I guess what I am saying is out of the list, what is the best selection or do I have to custom the animation.  The only setting that works thus far if I select the Youtube under HD, the video comes out flawlessly but that is under 1080x720 25fps.  What is the best sellection.  I tried pretty much all of HD and they were very choppy except the Youtube HD.