14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 9:26 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs

sailorpete

Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0

Hello.

Im considering the purchase of Adobe Premiere Elements 7.0 but I do have a couple of Questions.

Will this software support Quad core processor,

CPUID CPU Name AMD Phenom(tm) 9500 Quad-Core Processor

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT  (512 MB)

Audio Adapter Creative Audigy LS Audio Processor.

Windows E P service pack 3.

---------------------------------------------------

With regards  to performance I need to know if the software can support multiple layers of audio tracks and if it is capable of synchronizing to movie tracks in the time line(I need to be able to insert voice-overs to specific points in the time line related to the video.)

Also what are the import formats accepted and the export formats for video ie;AVI WMV, MOV,3gp,flv,swf

What are the export formats supported,I do need to be able to finish up with an AVI lossless to enable me to edit elsewhere and choose myswelf the final movie format

lastly what video and audio codec are supported ie; MP4 ,xvid MPEG-4 codec.divx, lossless uncompressed avi,and h264

sailorpete

• 1. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
          Arcticity

When PE7 boots up on my computer, it says "multi-processor detected", so i believe it does.

It supports multiple layers of audio and video (voice overs will definitely be possible)

There are other places with much bigger lists where you can find out about formats, there would be way too many to list.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
            sailorpete Level 1

Thank you Art city,very helpfull,

about those lists of export formats could you point me in the right direction please

pete

• 3. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm not sure about Windows EP -- but Premiere Elements will run great on a well-tuned computer using XP SP3, Vista XP2 and, from all reports, Windows 7. Although technically the program is not designed to run on a 64-bit operating system, it should run just fine in Vista 32-emulation mode.

Your hardward is definitely adequate for the program -- but lots depends on what type of video you plan to edit! What type of camcorder do you have and what video sources do you plan to edit?

As for inputs, the program will work with a variety of video formats -- though it varies a bit in how well, from computer to computer.

For best results, you'll want to use DV-AVIs for standard DV and MPEG2s for HDV. The program also supports AVCHD input although, as with all computers, this format can put a tremendous demand on your entire system.

It can also work with video from hard drive and DVD camcorders, but with a certain amount of compromise and challenge.

The program will work with MOVs and WMVs -- however, you're likely to run into problems using non-DV AVIs (such as MJPEGs), 3gp, FLVs and SWFs. And video from flash-based sources (like Flip cameras) is likely to give you nothing but trouble!

In other words, your successful experience with this program depends a lot less on how much hardware you have than it does on the type of video you plan to edit and what you ultimately plan to create with it.

• 4. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                sailorpete Level 1

Hi Steve.

Thank you for a most comprehensive reply.

I an produceing 3D animations and exporting them in AVI format in the first instant as certain post editing tools I use require that,an example is particle Illusion,

No Cam corder useage at all.I will be compressing some to MPEG 4 others to 3gp others to WMV .MOv FLvs SWFs, and the mobile text format MMS (I think thats the type) so a lot is depending on which applicaction they will be played on.

Other software will be Virtual dub and Audacity,

I was under the impression that DV AVI was compressed??

Im running on 32 bit  windows XP so no problems there.

Quad core.

2 GIGs Ram

To sum up.

Import format will be---AVI only

Export format fromPremiere Elements will be AVI

Export format will be(from external software of course)---MPEG 4-3GP-WMV-MOV(h264)-FLV-SWF-MMS(from external software of course)

Audio format importing will be WAV-MP3.Aiff.

So thats about it.

,Im doing this as I dont want to buy a piece of software and then find out that the tool can not perform the tasks require after the fact  and consequently spend hours on the forum complaining

Pete

• 5. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't have a link handy, but somewhere on Adobe's site you may download the complete user guide as a PDF to read for yourself

I think there is a link somewhere on the product page... or maybe on the support page for PElements (which is not this forum)

Wait... .go to http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/7.0/

• 6. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                    sailorpete Level 1

Hi John T,

Thanks for that great idea,answerd all my Qs so I will go ahead and purchase.

For those of you who may be interested You can import AVI ansd Export AVI.

Thanks to all for your help.

pete

• 7. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Pete, I am concerned about those 3D animations you're exporting as AVIs.

AVIs come in thousands of different flavors, and it might not be safe to assume Premiere Elements will interface with that 3D software you're using.

I'd recommend you download the free trial and test drive it with your AVIs to ensure they're compatible. They might well not be.

• 8. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                        sailorpete Level 1

Steve ,Your dead right Im going to get the trial tomorrow and give it a whirl,I even googled it after reading the pdf but Im still unaeasy.

Thanks and Ill keep this post open fo now.

Pete

• 9. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

PE uses all four of my cores and works fine on my nVidia GeForce 8800m GTX card. With 4GB RAM (no 3GB switch, and 32-bit OS, so not fully used) and 3x 200GB 7200RPM SATA II HDD's it processes well, and quickly.

As for formats, DV-AVI Type II is the ideal for SD material. It does not get any better than that. For HD material, AVCHD (not the Lite version), seems to work well, but a Quadcore will be necessary.

With regards  to performance I need to know if the software can support multiple layers of audio tracks and if it is capable of synchronizing to movie tracks in the time line(I need to be able to insert voice-overs to specific points in the time line related to the video.)

This will be no problem. All you'll really want to do is expand your Timeline, both horizontally and vertically, so you can see things clearly. For fine Audio/Video alignment, turn Snap OFF.

As for Export settings, you have most of the common ones, and can add full lossless, like Lagarith if needed. If you're working in SD, then keeping things in DV-AVI Type II will be very good, as most NLE's on the PC-side of the street use it.

Almost every CODEC properly loaded onto the system can be used for Export. Many of the delivery-only CODEC's, like DivX and Xvid do not edit well, if at all. Remember, they are delivery CODEC's. With the current Apple QT Player, you should have H.264 and Export to it is supported.

As for Audio CODEC's, most formats are supported. One is best off using PCM/WAV 48KHz 16-bit for the greatest ease of handling, but PE will handle most MP3's and other popular Audio CODEC's. Is there one in particular, that you are interested in working with?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I was under the impression that DV AVI was compressed??

Only very slightly. One would be very hard pressed to tell DV-AVI Type II from MS AVI [Uncompressed], if they could at all.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                              sailorpete Level 1

Thanks for your interest Hunt,

Youll have to excuse me but whats S D material and NLEs? (the uninitiated amongst us are thick)

The audio format Im using the most and have hundreds on file for effects is WAV,any thing else I convert to wave.

Im going to download a trail version tomorrow and check out the file format compatability with my other editing software.as im still not sure about DV AVI and AVI .

Thanks again

Pete

• 12. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry,

SD = Standard Definition (material that meets the DVD-spec, i.e. NTSC 4:3 720x480 PAR=0.9)

HD = High Definiton (material that meets the BD [Blu-ray disc] spec.)

NLE = Non Linear Editor (program for editing video, like PrElements, or PrPro)

For more info on AVI's (applies to .MOV and .MPEG too), see this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>NLE = Non Linear Editor

And, just a tidbit... the old way of cutting/splicing actual film was in a "line" so was linear editing

With NLE you may jump around in the timeline, you don't have to have a big reel to roll up your film

• 14. Re: Adobe premiere Elements pre puchase Qs
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, I recall the days before that. We cut 2" tape (video was either that, or a direct feed to a mixing board for direct broadcast) with a razor on a splicing block. It was not for another couple of years, before Deck-to-Deck video editing was done.

I hated splicing the video, 'cause when I held it up to the light I could not see my frames, like I could with film!

Looking at what I can do with Video on my laptop right now, compared to what we had to do with film and then with 2" video tape, makes me so very happy. I don't want to hear how editing Video is so slow now. We used to have to wait overnight, just to see our film and plan the day's shoots and reshoots. Just adding a few Fade-to-Black (now Dip-to-Black) and Cross-dissolves meant two days of lab time, just to project the results. Miss a frame, or two in the edit, and it was another two days, to see the prints.

Hunt