Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

uninstall vs deactivate

Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to move my Frame 9 installation to a new drive.

I have uninstalled Frame 9 from the existing drive, but a colleague says I needed to deactivate it.

Did the uninstall perform a deactivation automatically?  If not, how do I regain the installation rights from the previous instance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, if the re-installation is on the same machine, then you don't have to deactivate. There's a set of activation FAQs at: http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I don't know what the IT guys have planned -- same processor, new drive, or whole new machine. All I know is this one's acting up and they want to rebuild it.

I'll read the FAQ. Thanks for the pointer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to disagree here. If you reformat the drive, you don't need to reactivate, but I believe a new drive will require activation. I'd rather be safe and de-activate even if it means re-installing the software first. If its not possible and you have used your activations, Adobe will grant you an additional activation. So I wouldn't sweat it, but if I can avoid the hassle, I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the machine is being rebuilt, rather than just a new drive being added, then I would go with Mike's recommendation to deactivate. The Adobe Licensing software is finicky & ornery, hiding stuff all over your drive. If you replace the drive, then this prior info is lost and you could be up the creek without a paddle. I just went through an exercise in frustration trying to get all components of the TechCommSUite running properly after a disk glitch forced me to LicenseRepair and re-install, since I couldn't deactivate prior to having the disk hiccup. The only saving grace was a deactivation followed by an uninstall, running Adobe's clean scripts and a re-install to get things working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 22, 2009 Jul 22, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but it's moot; I've already uninstalled. To deactivate it I would have to install it again. But if I attempt an install, I am asked for the license key, so it's not clear whether my prior activation is still in effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had a problem with Adobe tech support when something like this has happened -- installation support is free, and they're quite familiar with this scenario. So best case is the software will go on and activate without a hitch. Worst case is the activation will be screwed, which means you have a 30-day window during which the software works to give you a window to call Adobe tech support and get it resolved. Which usually isn't a big deal -- just keying in a new key.

Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, I've filed a Customer service case and am waiting to hear back. If they're familiar with this scenario, maybe they should do something about it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines