16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 2:07 PM by digitlman

Colours inaccurate  on export

medi-ochre Level 1

I have noticed that when i export my movie to either mp4 or mpeg 2, the colours are inaccurate. There isn't a noticeable change in the video but the title banner i have that overlays the footage is red in premeiere pro but washed out and quite orange on export. My sequence is set up for 32bit colour and the render quality is fine. Please help! Oh and if anyone has a magical way to make hd footage converted to sd look decent please do because i am dissapointed with the current results, picture is unsharp and colours flat as a pancake

• 1. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
          Harm Millaard Level 7

MP4 and MPEG2 do not use alpha channels, so what is the value of 32 bit in your sequence?

How did you test the results, on a properly calibrated external monitor?

• 2. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
            shooternz Level 6

How does one properly calibrate a  monitor (unless it happens to be is a professional reference monitor) ?

The standard method  for CRT pro monitors was done using the color bars and pluge and blue gun.  Not that easy with most new LCD type monitors /TVs.

What do you use as a reference monitor Harm (or Jim) and how is it calibrated?

• 3. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              Not that easy with most new LCD type monitors /TVs.

Which is why they should not be used for SD monitoring.  (Hell, probably not even for HD monitoring.  The technology sucks compared to CRT.  Damn sheep!)

• 4. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you use for monitoring?

• 5. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

During the edit, a home calibrated 14" CRT.  For Review, a 27" professionally calibrated CRT.

• 6. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

And how are they callibrated?

• 7. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                      SFL46 Level 3

Noting that not all of us can justify professional monitors, there are devices on the market that can be used to calibrate PC monitors, including LCDs.  Look at the B&H website for monitor calibration.  These devices involve a sensor positioned on the monitor screen and software that displays various intensities of the RGB and black and white, and build a specific color profile for that monitor that will be loaded into the graphic card.  Since the graphic card and the monitor are in the processing scheme for the varying color displays, the performance of the graphic card and the monitor are evaluated.  The software will generally let you build a profile for each monitor separately in dual monitor setups. Note that due to limitations in Windows XP, one one profile will be loaded by Windows, even in a two monitor setup.   These device are very popular with still photographers who process with Photoshop

• 8. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                        shooternz Level 6

If its me you are asking...

I use a combination of :

Panasonic LH1700W (one in the field and one in the suite)

Sony Trinitron CRT Monitor (9")

Sony Bravia ( Domestic HD) - client monitor ....that I consider  as "everymans" home TV

Scopes in  Premiere

The NLE Computer Monitors

...as well as the  Guess-O-Monitor (lives my head spcae somewhere)

My final consideration is made when I check the scopes and monitors at my On line facility where I master my broadcast projects.  Very high end -  true 'Reference Monitors"

• 9. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                          shooternz Level 6
                          During the edit, a home calibrated 14" CRT.  For Review, a 27" professionally calibrated CRT.

How are they calibrated?

• 10. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                            medi-ochre Level 1

i understand that if i wanted to find the true colours of the original i would have to calibrate my monitor. However, i previewed the original and export on the same monitor so it makes no differeence if it is calibrated or not, there has been an obvious change to the original. In reply to alpha channal, it is blank but i understand to make full use of 24bit colour footage, you must select 32bit rendering else it is in a lesser broad coulour range of 8 bit

• 11. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                              Harm Millaard Level 7
                              i understand to make full use of 24bit colour footage, you must select 32bit rendering else it is in a lesser broad coulour range of 8 bit

Normal colour space is 8 bits per channel, making 24 bits total for the three channels. 32 bits adds an alpha channel. Only few codecs support that. DV, HDV, AVCHD and the like do not. It does not expand the colour space, it just adds a fourth channel.

If you want to use 10 bit colour depth, you need a BlackMagic or AJA card and need to transcode to an intermediate format during capture. Still that is only 30 bits, not 32.

Maybe your sequence setup at 32 bits is the cause of this. Try with the normal 24 bits setting.

BTW, what is your source material with which codec and what have you done with chroma keys in your timeline?

• 12. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

How are they calibrated?

The 14" using standard test patterns from a DVD calibration disk.  The 27" using a Sencore pattern generator and colorimeter.

• 13. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

there has been an obvious change to the original

Not necessarilly.  The software could be introducing the perceived difference.

• 14. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                                    digitlman Level 1

I think all of the conjecture about monitors and calibration for this is running down the wrong track.

Your talking about exporting your files with a compression codec. Most highly compressed formats do alter your video and cause inaccuracies.

Simply open a sequence in premiere, make 10 seconds of bars and tone then export it out with various different codecs.

Then import those all into the same timeline with the "real" bars and turn on all scopes in your monitor window the slide through and compare all those clips. Unfortunatly you will see many variances with your video levels and colors, depending on the codec.

Uncompressed clips are usually the only files that are 100% accurate.

• 15. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

You could be right, digitalman.  But there's no way to know if that's the issue without proper monitoring.  WMP isn't the way to do that, is all we're saying.

• 16. Re: Colours inaccurate  on export
                                        digitlman Level 1

Right i agree that WMP certainly shouldn't be used. I'm saying that looking at your source and exported video files both in premiere is the acid test for a comparison. It has nothing to do with your video output or monitoring device.