5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2009 4:49 PM by Wolfgang Herold

Director 11.5 and Windows 7

TJD47

Has anyone tried Director 11.5 on Windows 7 (release candidate)? Is it compatible? Windows 7 will be out in October, so it would be nice to have a compatible version of Director available at that time.

• 1. Re: Director 11.5 and Windows 7
          Sean_Wilson Adobe Community Professional

It works just fine, though while you're not going to get "official" support from Adobe you shouldn't need it.

• 2. Re: Director 11.5 and Windows 7
            Chunick Level 3

TJD47 wrote:

Has anyone tried Director 11.5 on Windows 7 (release candidate)? Is it compatible? Windows 7 will be out in October, so it would be nice to have a compatible version of Director available at that time.

To find out first hand if Windows 7 and D11.5 are compatible, start here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx

• 3. Re: Director 11.5 and Windows 7
              stevehaite

What about Director MX2004 and Windows 7? I have MX2004 and Windows 7 installed  but cannot get them to work. I tried updating MX2004 from the Adobe webiste but this did not solve the problem. I am not ready to upgrade to Director 11.5 yet and anyway it should work with the new Windows OS. Any suggestions? Thanks!

• 4. Re: Director 11.5 and Windows 7
                Mike Blaustein Level 4

I'm afraid that if it doesn't work right off, then it will not likely work. Of course, Win7 is not out yet officially, so there may be changes coming, but Adobe has proven their lack of concern about MX 2004 working on modern OSes with the latest Mac release (Snow Leopard).  MX 04 does not work on Snow Leopard and Adobe is not doing anything about it.  Therefore, I would expect the same level of commitment if it does not work on Win7... i.e. no commitment whatsoever.

I have not used Win7 at all, but I understand that it comes with a XP compatibility mode (a XP VM built in).  See if you can make it work in there.  That would be the only way I can think of to get it going.  Post back if you do figure out a way to work it, since I'm sure many people will be wanting to continue using MX 04.  I still can't bring myself to use Director 11.x.  If it wont work on Win7, then I will just keep using XP.

• 5. Re: Director 11.5 and Windows 7
                  Wolfgang Herold Level 2

Win7 is out, not for customers, but for Microsoft Partners. Also the versions for dealers will be shipped in about one week, so all DVD's are produced.

Tested one of my applications , done with MX2004. Had no problems, although i had to install some old things like DivX5.21, Java5.08 ( for use with Moka.Xtra). All i did was changing UAC to lowest security and started the projector.

I did not try MX2004 authoring on Win 7, but still use XP pro and Vista 64 ( UAC disabled ) without any problems.

So, if you develop for any customers, you'll have to setup a testing system, as XP will not be sold anymore, and many Vista users will change to 7

in the next 6 month.

regards

wolfgang