11 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 1:17 PM by commalot

Any preps before installation?

commalot Level 1

I'm receiving Production Premium tomorrow. I was wondering if I should un-install anything before installation.

Specifically:

1. The old versions of PP and AE

2. AVS4YOU Software.

3. Pinnacle Studio 11

I'll be working with AVCHD footage. After the initial install should I just run updates on all the separate programs before working with any of them?

• 1. Re: Any preps before installation?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Before removing software manually, is your hardware powerful enough for AVCHD editing? If not, you may consider your existing PC as a backup or second macine and install the Production Premium on a new machine.

How long ago was the last time you completely reformatted your machine and made a clean install of OS and programs? If more than a year, you better start from a completely clean installation of OS and programs, installing only those you need.

• 2. Re: Any preps before installation?
            commalot Level 1

Hello Harm.  It's been about 6 months since a clean install. I cringe at the idea of going through that again. Not so much the OS but all the music software and samples, each having their own method of authorization. I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 Ghz, E6550 with 3 gigs ram. As this venture is entirely for pleasure (no clients waiting in the lobby) I wanted to see how this computer handles the AVCHD using Neoscene. If it's a total dog I would plan on getting an i7 machine.

What I need to know now is;

Should I just leave the video apps I have on the machine,  AVS stuff, Pinnacle, PP and AE?

• 3. Re: Any preps before installation?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Older versions of PrPro and AE should have no trouble coexisting with CS4. Now, if your older PrPro is CS3, and you install CS4 along side it, do NOT uninstall CS3 after you install CS4, or be prepared to do a Repair Install of CS4, 'cause CS3 will take some necessary stuff with it.

Pinnacle? That one is unknown to me. Going back some years, I tried up upgrade Studio 10 to 10.5 (S10 had worked fine with PrPro 2) and the 10.5 upgrade ate my machine! I hear that later versions of Pinnacle are a bit better. S9.4.3 was good, but S10 in any version was not. That was the last time that I saw anything Pinnacle - still, S10 and PrPro 2.0 had no issues with each other, and I have PowerDirector and MovieEdit Pro on that machine with no issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - hope that Neoscene works for you. Reviews have been a bit mixed, but one never knows how competent some of the reviewers are with NLE's.

• 4. Re: Any preps before installation?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This link in my Adobe notes page http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM#SmartOwn includes discussion of the FULL BACKUP software I use

Buy something, if not the one I use, and make a full backup to external USB drive before you start... so you may restore in case of problems

Also make incremental backups as you go, so you may restore to any point if needed

This is NOT the same as a Windoze restore point... this is a full hard drive image

• 5. Re: Any preps before installation?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

I have no hard arguments, nor any complaints about these programs, but CS4 is in such a different league than Pinnacle, that I would remove that, unless of course 'you have grown accustomed to her face' and may want to revert to it at a certain moment. Do you still use the AVS stuff? If not, you can use this opportunity to clean up a bit.

• 6. Re: Any preps before installation?
                    commalot Level 1

I have Pinnacle 11.1.  Very stable and used it for burning DVDs as I could never get my old version of Premier Pro (no #) to burn anything except time.

My AE is 6.5.  The new Adobe software is the upgrade from a single qualifing app version so I figured I better leave PP and AE on the computer for installation purposes.

Geeeez! With all these "backup warnings" I feel like I'm just about to jump out of the airplane on my first skydive.

• 7. Re: Any preps before installation?
                      commalot Level 1

The AVS software, as you know, is a bunch of simple little apps (only $60) for all sorts of audio/video conversion. But it is very versatile. You can throw almost anything into it and convert it to whatever you like. It even handles AVCHD. I've always done my capture and editing in PP but I quite often turn to these simple apps for burning and conversion.

I still have one question.  Should I go ahead and load all the updates for the programs in Production Premium before using it?

• 8. Re: Any preps before installation?
                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You do not need the old PP and AE for the suite, just the serial number or the program you upgraded from.

After installing the suite download the update and they will automatically be installed.

I would go for a nice clean machine.

• 9. Re: Any preps before installation?
                          commalot Level 1

Re: clean install/machine. Call me foolhardy, but I ain't a gunna do it!  I don't have all kinds of wierd stuff on my machine and I did a clean install about 6 months ago. I'll do the backup measures. These music apps are a pain to re-install with different authorization methods for installing and updates. It takes hours and hours. If CS4 is all crashy/glitchy after installing it then I'll deal with it.

• 10. Re: Any preps before installation?
                            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>With all these "backup warnings"

There are two kinds of computer users... those who HAVE lost data or an entire hard drive due to corruption or hardware failure, and those who WILL

I make a full drive backup before I install any new software... and I have had a hard drive crash, but only lost a few days worth of unimportant files since my last full backup (important files are copied to a USB flash drive as they are created or updated... or to USB hard drive if too large for flash drive)

Do as you wish about backups... but there are decades of experience here, saying make a backup

• 11. Re: Any preps before installation?
                              commalot Level 1

Yes that's right. I will do a back up. What I'm not going to do is a clean install of the OS and everything else.