i knoe this is so simple but the solution escapes me. thanks in advance

• 1. Re: how get effect to start and stop at certain times in a layer
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You animate the effect parameters.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: how get effect to start and stop at certain times in a layer
            burn1down Level 1

thanks for the reply.

this is only my second day using the product, so i need a bit more info.

here is what i am trying to do.  I have a image, and 5 seconds into showing that image i want to apply the shatter effect.  When i select the shatter effect and drag it over to the image i have placed in the composition the effect gets rendered but it starts getting applied at the 1st second of the composition.

i have attempted to set key frames and then drag over the effect with no luck. I dont see any 'time' properties in the effect so i can tell it when to run.

thanks

• 3. Re: how get effect to start and stop at certain times in a layer
              Lost In My Mind Level 1

Welcome fellow newb . I just joined a week ago myself, and that was my very first question and problem. The fix is to go to 'Force 1' at the beginning of your clip, activate keyframes (little stopwatch) and set 'radius' to 0. Move down the timeline to just before you want the effect and then add another keyframe with the radius still at 0, move down the timeline another few seconds and change the radius to .40 or whatever works for your project and it should work like magic. Let us know if this helps. 

• 4. Re: how get effect to start and stop at certain times in a layer
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

burn1down wrote:

thanks for the reply.

this is only my second day using the product, so i need a bit more info.

here is what i am trying to do.  I have a image, and 5 seconds into showing that image i want to apply the shatter effect.  When i select the shatter effect and drag it over to the image i have placed in the composition the effect gets rendered but it starts getting applied at the 1st second of the composition.

i have attempted to set key frames and then drag over the effect with no luck. I dont see any 'time' properties in the effect so i can tell it when to run.

thanks

Oooh... You're all watching too many of Andrew's tutorials and always pick the most complicated and fancy ones. I've answered this one last week or so here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464655?tstart=30, so check there. If you need more specific help, just ask again.

Mylenium