5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 6:22 PM by David Wigforss-Hv1BNN

Is AE the right program for a sports show?

RudyShalamar

I am trying to do the sports scores of a baseball game (pre-recorded).  I would like to use AE.

I am creating a "score bar" at the top of the screen in photoshop.  My plan is to import that graphic into AE and populate the fields with text and numbers as needed.

Can anyone recommend a way to do this correctly and/or efficiently?  My fear is that I will need to create tons of layers and it will quickly become VERY confusing.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Is AE the right program for a sports show?
          Point Happy

Have you thought about using scripting?  I haven't played with After Effects scripting, but it might give you the capability to update the scores the way you want to.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is AE the right program for a sports show?
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

RudyShalamar wrote:

My fear is that I will need to create tons of layers and it will quickly become VERY confusing.

No, not really. The thing is that you need to automate, just like you would with a realtime on-air graphics system, which can be done using expressions and scripts. E.g. for listing players, you'd simply have a an invisible text layer somewhere with the names all typed out and then by ways of an expression slider, you coud pull those names based on their numerical index in a list and have them displayed inside your name box. Similar approaches would easily work for most other elements. If you get my meaning: The magic happens all long before you actualyl animate anything. It's much more important to think about the structure of the project and "templateize" wherever possible. This of course also includes more conventional things like considering the nesting relationships of comps and sub-comps, parenting of elements and other stuff you can do without knowing a shred of code.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is AE the right program for a sports show?
              RudyShalamar Level 1

Wow, great advice.

Could you point me in the direction of some places i can learn more about scripting?  I am having trouble figuring that out.  The expression slider is also a bit of a mystery to me.  Is that something built into AE?

Sorry for the basic questions!

• 4. Re: Is AE the right program for a sports show?
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

RudyShalamar wrote:

The expression slider is also a bit of a mystery to me.  Is that something built into AE?

Yes. Effects --> Expression Controls --> Slider. It just returns a numerical value that can be fed into formulas and such. For more geeky programming talk and several premade scripts, check AEnhancers and sites linked from there. If you have specific questions, ask there or here on this forum (don't use the Expressions or Scripting sub-forums, hardly anyone watches them so you could wait very long before getting an answer...)

Mylenium