3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 1:29 PM by bhnh

Migration to AS3

kingsman2
      I have been using Flash and Actionscript for some years now and I have found it very difficult to take on board at times. I keep promising myself that I will get to grips with Actionscript so that the applications I develop look as good as the ones I see in Web Designer magazines. However, after a really big effort to complete my prefered Actionscript2 book (Flash MX 2004-Derek Franklin/ Jobe Makar-training from the source) I find myself questioning my efforts and start to wonder if AS3 is going to be easier to get to grips with. I have read reports on AS3 being ten times faster in terms of its processing power, but what percentage of the web industry has migrated to AS3? Do I forget AS2 and focus my efforts on AS3 in order to improve my development skills and gain a better position in the job market or what?
        • 1. Re: Migration to AS3
          bhnh
          Technical and philosophical arguments aside, knowing AS3 will make you more employable. If you scan the current job opportunities on respectable job sites (sadly, the Adobe jobs forum has gone to seed), you'll see the BIG demand is for AS3 developers, usually coupled with some knowledge of Flex. I'm in the process of making the (painful) transition to AS3 myself, just to finish getting my kids through college.
          • 2. Re: Migration to AS3
            kingsman2 Level 1
            Thanks for your prompt reply bhnh ! Do you have any AS3 and / or Flex text books or training media you can recommend or suggest? thanks in advance and good luck with the college funds!
            • 3. Migration to AS3
              bhnh Level 1
              For AS3 I'd suggest:

ActionScript 3.0 Game Programming University (QUE) by Gary Rosenzweig. I find Rosenzweig's books to be a great start. He doesn't go into massive depth, but presents a bunch of projects that you can get up and running quickly; learning in bite-sized pieces.

Learning ActionScript 3.0 (O'Reilly) by Shupe and Rosser. Very good, even though the writing style is sometimes comically erudite.

Essential ActionScript 3.0 (O'Reilly) by Colin Moock. I like Moock's instruction, though he tends to get sidetracked in a lot in minutiae. The whole book's devoted to creating a single project... that you sometimes feel will never end.

As for Flex, I've picked up a copy of Adobe FLEX 3 - Training from the Source (Adobe Press), but haven't had the opportunity to take a crack at it.