8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 12:37 PM by ukspuzzva

Stop the timeline!

ukspuzzva

Ok, this is probably the most basic question of the day, but I'm new to this...my little movie project is done and it plays back just fine. However, when the red vertical line that runs across the timeline gets to the end of the last clip, it keeps on rolling. How do I (can I?) stop the red line at the end of the movie? This last litle detail is driving me nuts! Thx.

• 1. Re: Stop the timeline!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

My Timeline playback stops at the end of the final Clip. Now, in Edit>Preferences>General, there are two places to set the behavior of the CTI. One is with regards to Scrolling, and you can adjust these from a drop-down. The other is the Play Timeline After Rendering, which is a check box.

Neither should affect what you describe.

Only time that this happens to me is if I'm trying to stop playblack near the end, and double-hit the Spacebar. In my case, that's just OE. With your hands off the keyboard, move the CTI to just before the end of the last Clip. Hit Spacebar, and take the hands away. Does it still cycle?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Stop the timeline!
            ukspuzzva Level 1

Hey,

Thanks for your input.

I tried the three options in the Scrolling drop-down box (Preferences>General), but none of them stopped the scrolling at the end of the clip.

When I hit the space bar right at the end of the movie, it stops the scroll, but I want the scroll to stop automatically at the end of the credits.

Any other ideas?

- P.

• 3. Re: Stop the timeline!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The comment about the Spacebar was only to point out my OE, as I'd double-hit it when I'd actually passed my point and it had gotten to the end already. This resets to Home and starts all over again, like you describe. In my case, it was only the OE that caused the problem, as left alone, playback will always stop on the last frame (End) of my Timeline.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any other setting in Preferences, that might account for this - sorry.

BTW, what OS and what functions in the OS, do you have and have turned-on? Maybe something in Vista, if that is your OS, that's doing this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Stop the timeline!
                ukspuzzva Level 1

I'm on a Mac, running OS X.

I'll keep playing with it and poke around the forums to see if anyone else posted a similar question. it's probably a simple fix; I just haven't figured it out yet.

• 5. Re: Stop the timeline!
                  ukspuzzva Level 1

Mystery solved.

It turns out that I had some footage that didn't show up in the timeline (haven't figured out why not), but when I cleared it from the timeline the red line stopped at the end of the movie. Phew! That was driving me crazy. Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Stop the timeline!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it sorted out. I misunderstood what was happening, and thought that your Timeline was starting over again, once it had reached the end. What was happening is that you had an "orphan" out on the Timeline, so the CTI was heading to go to it.

To easily check for orphans, hit the \ [Backslash key] to view the entire Timeline. Look where you think it should end vs where it does end. Likely an orphan out there, beyond view.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Stop the timeline!
                      ukspuzzva Level 1

Orphans? Ha! Thanks for the tip.

• 8. Re: Stop the timeline!
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

That term also gets some play in Encore. When you have Assets that have not been used in the Project, they reside in the "Orphanage" below the Flowchart. If you leave any there, you'll get a warning message with Check Project about the orphans.

Good luck,

Hunt