13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2009 10:11 AM by acath

Flex text editing inside Fc

cibgraphics Level 1

Is this possible. If not, do I have to use Flex Builder, or can I use something I already have such as Dw or Aptana.

• 1. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
          acath Level 4

Hi,

I'm afraid I don't understand your question. Could you rephrase it? What exactly do you want to do in Fc?

-Adam

• 2. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
            cibgraphics Level 1

Can you edit the Flex code inside Fc, kinda like how you can edit the code in DW.  Meaning do I need to resort to another program (Flex builder) to modify the flex code, or can I do it inside Fc. And If I do need to resort to another program to modify the  flex code, am I forced to use Flex Builder or can I use Dw or Aptana?

• 3. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
              acath Level 4

Hi,

Unfortunately, for the first version of Catalyst we've disabled editing in the code view. Why? Well, allowing users to edit code introduces the rather difficult problem of keeping the design view accurate even as the user types arbitrary code. For Catalyst 1.0, it was unacceptable to have the design view break (if you've used DW, FrontPage, Flex Builder, etc, you know what I mean) due to code edits. So we decided to turn off code editing, and focus instead on allowing users to build expressive content in Catalyst, then add code in Flash Builder.

However, we know that people want to edit code, so this will almost certainly be a high priority for the next version (unless you guys totally surprise us!).

-Adam

• 4. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                Rothmorton

Yes.  You are right.  We will want to edit code.  However, I am having a lot of fun with this release of Flash Catalyst!  Awesome program!

• 5. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                  cibgraphics Level 1

I can see why you did that. So the question remains. When we do want to edit the code (outside of Fc), are we forced to use Flash Builder... or can we use our own text editor (I use Dw and Aptana). Is that possible?

• 6. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                    acath Level 4

Oh, now I get the question. The only officially supported way to edit the code is by importing the project into Flash Builder. However, you could probably unzip the FXP, make changes in a text editor, zip it back up, and keep going...but no promises about FC continuing to work correctly.

• 7. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                      cibgraphics Level 1

Are there any plans to have a plugin for Dreamweaver to support FXP?   I think this would be a smart move since most have and work with Dw and not Flash builder. I for one would not purchase Flash Builder just to edit the code for Flash Catalyst. I would just forgo Flash Catalyst all together.  However, I would seriously plan on purchasing Flash Catalyst if I could edit the code with my curent tools (aka Dw or Aptana).

• 8. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                        acath Level 4

Hi,

There are no plans to support FXP in DW at this time - Flash Builder is the IDE for Flex projects. However, I'd like to understand your needs a bit more...what features of DW would you expect to work on an FXP? Is it just that you need to edit the code? Or would you expect various features to work, e.g. syntax highlighting, code completion, visual editing tools, etc. Would it be sufficient merely to be able to open the FXG edit the code, and recompile?

Thanks,

-Adam

• 9. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                          cibgraphics Level 1

Being able to open/edit/recompile would be my basic needs as I tend to hand-code everything. Syntax highlighting would be a bonus but not needed. Im just not a fan of purchasing a whole new IDE just to edit Flex code especially when Flash Builder will likely cost $250+. I already have tools to edit code (two in fact).

Does that help?

• 10. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                            acath Level 4

Yes, that helps a lot and makes total sense. Let me ask our product manager what our plans are in this regard.

Whatever our official position is, it should be pretty easy to unzip an FXP (just rename it to ZIP), and then compile it with the command-line MXML compiler.

-Adam

• 11. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                              cibgraphics Level 1

Thank you very much.

• 12. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                                camalot71

I'm going to ask a question that's going to sound really stupid, so here it goes -- why don't you combine both tools (Flash Catalyst and Flash Builder)? To be more specific, have one view for developers and one for designers. I really dislike having 2-3 tools that essentially do the same thing (Flash, Catalyst and Flash Builder). I am a designer, but I also do a bit of development too. Wouldn't it be nice to have one tool that does it all? I know I live in a dreamworld and I'm looking at the world through rose colored glasses, but that would be my ideal. Maybe you should entertain that idea.

• 13. Re: Flex text editing inside Fc
                                  acath Level 4

Great idea. We thought about this back when we started Catalyst. We though the right approach was to create the best possible experience for designers and interaction designers first, and then think about an all-in-one tool later, once we understand how users would want such a tool to work.

If we had initially released Catalyst as a bolt-on to Flash Builder, would it have really been designer-friendly? Would designers even try it? I suspect not.

-Adam