13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 31, 2008 12:49 PM by Traveler608

intro page before index or homepage

hamazasb
      Hi
      I want my website to start with an actual video then once the video is finished to go to my homepage or index automatically
      If someone could help me on showing me step by step how to do this i will appreciate .
      I am actually using dreamweiver CS3 to built the site
      many thanks
      Mike
      mikejeranian@gmail.com
        • 1. Re: intro page before index or homepage
          CaryD Level 2
          Is there any chance you might reconsider this course of action? It will turn most people off really quick.
          • 2. Re: intro page before index or homepage
            Level 7

"CaryD" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g6p2n5$sf0$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Is there any chance you might reconsider this course of action? It will
            > turn most people off really quick.

It's true, Mike. Most people visiting a web site first want to see what kind
            of site it is and what can be done there. Don't you? For me, I want watching
            a video to be a decision - do I have a few minutes? Is my sound turned up?
            Do I know what this video is about and am I interested in spending my time
            watching it?

I would almost certainly leave the site if I was forced to watch a video
            first thing - even if I was motivated to use the site otherwise.

--
            Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
            Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
            Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
            --

• 3. Re: intro page before index or homepage
              Level 7
              > I want my website to start with an actual video

That statement is the key. I believe if you research web usability you will
              find the overwhelming opinion is that what the website owner or the web
              designer wants must take a distant second to what the site visitor is likely
              to want. What do site visitors want most of the time? Full control of their
              browsing experience. That means, among other things, no forced video, music,
              animations, etc. As Patty suggests having a video with a message, "Here's a
              video about ______ lasting ____ minutes, click if you want to watch" is an
              ideal approach.
              --

Walt

"hamazasb" <mikejeranian@gmail.com> wrote in message
              news:g6p28g$ru3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi
              > I want my website to start with an actual video then once the video is
              > finished to go to my homepage or index automatically
              > If someone could help me on showing me step by step how to do this i will
              > appreciate .
              > I am actually using dreamweiver CS3 to built the site
              > many thanks
              > Mike
              > mikejeranian@gmail.com
              >

• 4. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                Level 7
                Intro or Splash pages are hardly ever used by serious web sites anymore.
                Index or home.html is probably the most important page on your site because
                it is the default page to your domain.

Turning your homepage into a Splash intro with video and no text on it is a
                real wasted opportunity Search engine-wise.

Concentrate instead on having a GREAT homepage with plenty of keyword rich
                content. Then add a video player about 1/3 your page size with an ON button
                for people to click if they choose to.

--Nancy O.
                Alt-Web Design & Publishing
                www.alt-web.com

news:g6p28g$ru3$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Hi
                > finished to go to my homepage or index automatically
                > If someone could help me on showing me step by step how to do this i will
                > appreciate .
                > I am actually using dreamweiver CS3 to built the site
                > many thanks
                > Mike
                > mikejeranian@gmail.com
                >

• 5. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  I absolutely HATE any website that plays a flash intro before I can get to the page content... and will never visit such a site a 2nd time if I have any choice in the matter
                  • 6. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                    Level 7
                    .oO(hamazasb)

>finished to go to my homepage or index automatically

Splash pages are annoying and may cause a lot of problems. They don't
                    serve any real purpose except for wasting the user's time and bandwidth.
                    You shouldn't do that.

Micha
                    • 7. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                      hamazasb Level 1
                      I understand you guys very well
                      but the reason i am asking is because of my client he is asking me to put his video on his first page otherwise i would never do that ..
                      thanks
                      Mike
                      • 8. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                        Level 7
                        Educate your client. That's your job. Explain to them what a bad idea this
                        is....

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

news:g6rjva$qa7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >I understand you guys very well
                        > but the reason i am asking is because of my client he is asking me to put
                        > his video on his first page otherwise i would never do that ..
                        > thanks
                        > Mike

• 9. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                          Level 7
                          hamazasb wrote:
                          > I understand you guys very well
                          > but the reason i am asking is because of my client he is asking me to put his video on his first page otherwise i would never do that ..
                          > thanks
                          > Mike

Tell your client no one will even visit the site if they can't find it
                          when searching, and the way they want it is detrimental to the success
                          of the website.

Unless this site is being advertised via another avenue, like in print,
                          or via email, this project is a complete waste of you and your clients
                          time.

Steve
                          • 10. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                            JoeDaSilva Level 4
                            Why don't you just work the video into the content of the homepage? That way you you still have content that's relevant and your client is happy because the video is there...
                            • 11. intro page before index or homepage
                              Traveler608
                              As a consumer, I do not like the video's playing when I go to a website and I quickly find the link to bypass the intro, which means I never see the an entire video. While I've checked out many websites from web designers here and others, I thought you might want to view one from Murray that has a small video playing within the home page: http://www.neapco.com/n_why-neapco.php

It could be a compromise for your customer if you tell them the suggestions of your peers of having a video play before going to the homepage. (so many thumbs down, I lost count).

hamazasb wrote:
                              > I understand you guys very well
                              > but the reason i am asking is because of my client he is asking me to put his video on his first page otherwise i would never do that ..
                              > thanks
                              > Mike
                              • 12. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                                Level 7
                                Thanks for the referral!

--
                                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                Adobe Community Expert
                                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                ==================
                                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                ==================

"Traveler608" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                news:g6t30s$i37$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                > As a consumer, I do not like the video's playing when I go to a website
                                > and I
                                > quickly find the link to bypass the intro, which means I never see the an
                                > entire video. While I've checked out many websites from web designers here
                                > and
                                > others, I thought you might want to view one from Murray that has a small
                                > video
                                > playing within the home page: http://www.neapco.com/n_why-neapco.php
                                >
                                > It could be a compromise for your customer if you tell them the
                                > suggestions of
                                > your peers of having a video play before going to the homepage. (so many
                                > thumbs
                                > down, I lost count).
                                >
                                >
                                > hamazasb wrote:
                                > > I understand you guys very well
                                > > but the reason i am asking is because of my client he is asking me to
                                > > put
                                > his video on his first page otherwise i would never do that ..
                                > > thanks
                                > > Mike
                                >

• 13. Re: intro page before index or homepage
                                  Traveler608 Level 1
                                  Your welcome. I just thought the original post got lost with all the opinions and your website shows a possible solution.

>Thanks for the referral!