13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2009 12:16 PM by the_wine_snob

Cartoonize Effects?

Suntower Level 1

Hi,

I was wondering if there was a way to create 'cartoon' effects in PP? And by that I mean, as in the recent commercial film 'Chicago 10' or 'A Scanner Darkly'. My guess is that this used to be done with real rotoscoping. but I figured what with science marching on, some bobkin had figured a way to do it auto-magically.

Basically, it renders everything as line art and a limited pallete of, say, 16 colours... converting everything into a watercolour 'cartoon'.

Ideas?

TIA,

---JC

• 1. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Not in Premiere natively.  I think After Effects has something built-in.  There is also the Toonit plug-in from Red Giant.

• 2. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
            Suntower Level 1

Perfect. AE is -too- much fun.

If you don't mind a wee follow-up: Exactly what kind of machine does one need in order to preview stuff at full rate? I have a Quad Core with 1300FSB and it refuses to preview most effect at better than half rate. Is that normal?

THANKS!

---JC

• 3. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
              Colin Brougham Level 6

For AE, that's normal. If you want to preview at full-quality and speed, check out RAM Preview. This renders your comp into available memory, which will then playback as many frames as can be stored in the available memory. It's the "0" (that's "zero") key on your numeric keypad. You can also set options for Shift+0, to render with a different frame rate and resolution for quicker previews.

Once you get into AE, your right hand will be twitching on these keys all the time.

• 4. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                Suntower Level 1

Good to know. Although, I usually use my left hand for anything requiring twitching hand movements. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Thanks,

---JC

• 5. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

The Adobe Forums: After Dark

• 6. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    Exactly what kind of machine does one need in order to preview stuff at full rate?

That will depend on the footage and effects.  I use DV footage with a Core i7.  Realtime preview works great so far with Premiere's effects.

• 7. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

On an older dual duo-core with 4GB RAM (3GB switch), SD footage is smooth as glass in AE, even with a ton of Effects. Now, some longer Comps do need to wait on RAM Preview, but they have to be pretty long. Then, the playback for that portion is silky, and you just need to wait for the rest of the Comp.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                        teloscientist Level 1

just built an i7-920, 12gig 1600mhz ram - previews hdv m2ts files fine in small window.

• 9. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                          Suntower Level 1

My machine is an Intel Q8400 (quad?) 2.66 with 4GB DDR2800 ram. FSB1300

For -most- 'normal' fx (eg. irises, color corrections, transitions, etc), playback is smooth in AE. But the Cartoon effect is a monster---it slows things down from 30 to 10 without hitting the 0 key.

FWIW: Here is the UTTERLY FANTASTIC video I've been working on (and bugging y'all about so much).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=027RO1V7Ox0

As a musician, I never thought there would be -anything- worse than listening to one's self on a mixing session over and over and over and over. Thanks to Premiere, I now know that this is not true. -Watching- yourself in stupid lip-synching over and over and over during editing is worse. -Much- worse.

Thanks to all for the help.

---JC

• 10. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

JC,

Nice work, and glad that it's working for you.

As you note, some Effects can really take a long time. I find that one, Neat Video (de-noiser) is about the same. I start Render, and then hit the fora for a while.

Now you see why actors and even the videographer are seldom the editors...

Hunt

• 11. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

One comment. I did not catch the TimeCode, but with the first "subtitle," as the vocals begin, you might want to tic your lower-third down by a few pixels. The text sits up against the PiP image. There is a tangent that keeps the text from being read (right-hand side) well. As soon as the PiP fades out, it's almost like the text "pops." Minor thing, but if you have time to just add a few pixels of "headroom" there, it'll imporve the readibility of that first (?) line of lyrics. This could be done by either moving the PiP up a few pxls., or the text down by that amount - slight.

Did not catch anything else, but will review again. Now, remember that I am out of the demographic of your target audience by a few decades, so I'm only looking for things of a technical nature. Hell, I was old when the first "music video" was done... I think that the first one that I saw was The Bed, but SF poet, James Broughton, though it could most accurately be described as a "poetry video."

Good luck, and a lot of image processing!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                                SuntowerSystems

Thanks for the input. I need -all- the technical help I can get.

Most of my fans cannot articulate -why- the like/dislike something so specific technical comments like this really help. IOW: they can say they dislike something, but they 'just can't quite put their finger on why'.

Personally, I have -never- before seen a music video with subtitles. Someone asked me if it's because -I- am so old... perhaps implying that a musician who needs 'closed captioning' may be too old for this game.

Cheers,

---JC

• 13. Re: Cartoonize Effects?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  IOW: they can say they dislike something, but they 'just can't quite put their finger on why'.

I understand. I've had clients like that. You spend days setting up a shot and all you get is "I don't like that." When asked for specifics, they come up with "I don't know. Something's just not right about it." After some years, I learned to ask them "is it not 'pretty' enough for you?" Usually, I'd get "yeah, that's it. It's not pretty enough." I'd then go to the cabinet and get one of filters in a wooden box. "What's that?" they'd ask. "Oh, that's the 'pretty filter," but it's very expensive. I hope we don't go over budget on this shot, 'cause if I use this, I'll have to charge you more." It was amazing how, all of a sudden, the shot WAS pretty enough.

Yeah, I gottcha' ya.

Hunt