7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2009 5:48 PM by the_wine_snob

project size

beltan5

Hey all.

I've created many different projects for my school and have always just used the standard presets. However i've never been satisfied with the result. The quality is much worse than the raw footage from AE or some other program. While the staff and the students have loved the work i've done (mostly slide shows), I've assumed i was doing something wrong.

I've been pondering it this summer and had a thought: We typically display these slide shows on a projector which has a resolution  of 1024 x 768.  I think it makes sense to make my projects that size, but am not sure. Can anyone shed some light on this? If the display medium is of a certain size, shouldn't the project be that size as well?

thanks

jb

• 1. Re: project size
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The playback device will also play a crucial role.  If you're coming from a DVD player, you'll be limited in resolution to standard video sizes.  If you're playing from a Laptop, give it a go and see what's what.

• 2. Re: project size
            beltan5 Level 1

that makes sense. i do usually put them on DVD. then i wonder why its such bad quality. even before i burn it to a disc the quality's so much reduced. I can't believe premiere would compress the video to a crappy output. At this piont I'm just using iDVD (can't afford encore yet) but as i said its pretty bad after i export the video out of premiere.

sigh.  hmm. i should just spend thousands of bucks on a new computer (may be the cause) and the new software.

• 3. Re: project size
              Jim_Simon Level 8

My own slide shows come out looking great, so Premiere is definitely capable.

If you'd like to upload a few problem images in a .zip file, I can give them a go and see how they turn out for me.

• 4. Re: project size
                the_wine_snob Level 9

If you can hook your computer directly to the projector, the best solution would be to create your Project to match the projector and create your Assets in AE to match that. Kind of backward to getting the Assets first, and matching the Project to them. Since you're working with AE Exports and stills, you should be able to tailor your Assets any way you want.

Two drawbacks;

1.) you're going to have to work a bit, should you decide to go to DVD-Video, but it can be done. Link provided if necessary.

2.) you'll give up the ease and portability of just having a DVD-Video disc to pop into a player.

I'm with Jim in the results of my still images to DVD-Video from PrPro, even played on my 60" TV.

Are you sizing your still images down, or using them at full camera resolution? Resizing outside of PrPro will yield better results. If you need some info on resizing in PS, let me know, and I'll give you a link.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: project size
                  beltan5 Level 1

Thanks for the advice all.

The pics I use are usually much larger than the NTSC format size. They scale down in PrPro to get some Ken Burns effect look. Though I also use Photo Presenter to create a slideshow then bring that into PrPro at the NTSC size. The titles I make in AE are the regular format. NTSC

It is not practical to run the movies off my computer. Sometimes multiple copies are made (a spanish translation in another room) and so the DVD is needed. I do like the idea of making the movie the size of the projector and then afterwards going down to a DVD format. The link you mentioned would be great.

It makes sense - a DVD will handle the normal format.  I just look at some of the stuff i've done in AE and after its been exported out of PrPro the quality doesn't look as good. But then i'm a perfectionist - nothing like demanding perfection when I'm a beginnier at this all.

Another thought - would I think it all looks better if i reduced the resolution of the projector (if possible)? I'm no expert but it seems the 1024 x 768 screen size is stretching the 720x 468 pixels a bit more than i'd like.

What compression should I use if the primary purpose is going to be to put this on a projector screen?

I want my stuff to look as good as any movie out there, but i have a feeling i'm not quite to that point.

Thanks all

jb

• 6. Re: project size
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I do like the idea of making the movie the size of the projector and then afterwards going down to a DVD format.

Not a good idea.  Scale the pics in Photoshop first (It will do a MUCH better job) and edit in an NTSC preset.

would I think it all looks better if i reduced the resolution of the projector (if possible)?

Probably not possible.  Most such things are fixed panel displays that will scale all inputs to the projector's native resolution.

What compression should I use if the primary purpose is going to be to put this on a projector screen?

That's the wrong question to ask.  The display device is somewhat irrelevant.  The playback medium is the determining factor.  And for DVD you have only one choice - MPEG2.

• 7. Re: project size
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with everything that Jim says. Those are good guidelines.

As for the resizing, here is a link to an ARTICLE on using Photoshop for preparing your images. The only consideration, that might be covered adequately would be if you are doing a pan on a fully zoomed out image. In that case, you would bump up the dimensions to just what you need. I often end up with three sizes for a Project. The majority are to the Project dimensions, i.e. 720x480 with appropriate PAR. Next will be those with slightly more size, for tighter pans. Finally, I'll size the largest to just the dimensions that I will need them. Being a photographer, I look at each image as an individual, so I do not do any random zooms, or pans. Each one is choreographed and they are then resized, as is necessary.

Good luck,

Hunt