8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2008 4:02 PM by GerryIsHere

Full path of a selected File

GerryIsHere Level 1
      Hi there!

When using fileRef.browse to select a file on my disk, how can I get displayed in a TextField the full path to this file and the content of the file in a ScrollPane?

Many thanks in advance for your help!
        • 1. Re: Full path of a selected File
          Level 7
          You cannot, due to security restrictions. From the Help: They (the classes)
          do not allow the SWF file that initiated the upload or download to access
          the uploaded or downloaded file or the file's location on the user's disk

--
          Dave -
          www.offroadfire.com
          Head Developer
          http://www.blurredistinction.com
          Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Full path of a selected File
            GerryIsHere Level 1
            Thanks Dave for responding.

Apart the fact that I don't understand the reasons for these restrictions, I think that uploading files from Flash is nothing more than a weak and unreliable feature. It has so many bugs (with Safari, with Mac, with IE, etc) it is really difficult to use it because it isn't "universal". We really can't offer this feature to the clients and write along warnings like : "If you are a Mac User, you can't use this feature!" or "If you are a IE User, you can't use this feature!".
            See here

Developers at Adobe didn't make a great job here and seem to have no interest in solving those multiple issues...

Will there be any workaround or replacement solution?
            The path to the selected file must be stored somewhere to make the upload possible...
            The question is: "Where?"...
            • 3. Re: Full path of a selected File
              Level 7
              To what bugs are you referring? AFAIK it works fine on Mac and IE...

--
              Dave -
              www.offroadfire.com
              Head Developer
              Adobe Community Expert

• 4. Full path of a selected File
                GerryIsHere Level 1
                Did you read the postings of the link I already mentioned?

Uploading from Flash if your browser is Safari, Fireworks or Opera and you are Mac based doesn't work.
                I mean it. It returns an onHTTPError 404 and doesn't upload the file.
                I even tried with a CS3 (Flash 9) file...
                These bugs are mentioned in many other forums...

If you are Mac based and use Safari, just try it at this URL
                This works from a PC.

So, please read the aboved mentioned posting and tell me what you think...
                And... thank you for your interest in my difficulties!
                • 5. Re: Full path of a selected File
                  GerryIsHere Level 1
                  For your information, here are the scripts I use:
                  • 6. Re: Full path of a selected File
                    Level 7
                    The only real problem I saw was when using sub domains... In general though,
                    file uploading works fine on the mac or I think I'd have a lot of support
                    calls. And I think there'd be a lot more traffic on that subject in here...

--
                    Dave -
                    www.offroadfire.com
                    Head Developer
                    Adobe Community Expert

• 7. Full path of a selected File
                      GerryIsHere Level 1
                      We are not using a sub-domain here. This is a real domain with its own independent hosting.
                      And if it was the case, uploading will be impossible for everybody.

"onHTTPError 404" means "File not found". Right?
                      Which is the script sending this message?
                      Is it the AS inside the .swf or is it the .php Script?

Is the file not found on the server AFTER uploading and when attempting to download?

And why is the file not found as I clearly see the LEDs flashing on my modem which is the proof that the upload is physically occurring?

More : I can't believe that the problem is related to the .swf because it works for everybody... but me !!!
                      If the .swf was buggy it shouldn't work at all.
                      Same remark about the .php Script.

It is not a CHMOD related problem because if it was people shouldn't be able to successfully upload.

It is not a browser related problem because on my Mac upload fails with any browser (Safari, Firefox, Opera, Explorer)

This leaves only one possibility : it's a Mac related problem.
                      And I say No because I am able to successfully use the very same .swf as a tryout on flash-db Website here using any browser.

This is really frustrating...
                      It seems I'm the only one to be unable to upload files on my own site !!!
                      Can you believe this ?
                      Would you be able to "mobilize" other resources to help me solve this issue ?

By the way, did you upload some .jpg with my sample at this address ?
                      • 8. Full path of a selected File
                        GerryIsHere Level 1
                        Could somebody please take the relay to help me solve this important problem : Flash upload not working with Safari 3.1.2 on a Mac?
                        For some people who deny the reality of existing bugs in Flash FileReference Upload, just google "Flash upload Bugs" and see the results...